Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating....

Computer.
    You thought I was talking about cars, didn't you?
    Anyway, I came home and started watching Hulu. Got right up to the climax of the episode, and my computer shut off. Tried restarting it. Started up for about a minute, and shut off. I was thinking power supply or it overheated. I was able to start it up and get into the bios. I made sure it wasn't overclocked, and that the fans were turned up all the way. I also turned off H/T.
    Still wouldn't stay running past the bios.
    So I took it outside, and went at it with my air compressor. Huge clouds of dust (remember what dust is made of?) emanated from my case. Put it all back together, and it worked. I'm still running without a side cover though.
    So, Has anybody else ever had this happen? I'm usually pretty good about cleaning off the outside of it, because the grills over the fans act like air filters.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
    So, Has anybody else ever had this happen?
    Nope. I know how computers hate heat. I keep them clean and clear from any obstacle.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
    -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

My computer has four 120mm fans. one to cool the HDD, one to pull air from the rear and two to blow it out the top. It always run around 55 to 61 degrees F depending on how warm the room is.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
        My computer has four 120mm fans. one to cool the HDD, one to pull air from the rear and two to blow it out the top. It always run around 55 to 61 degrees F depending on how warm the room is.
        3 120mm
        a forth in the P/S
        1 240mm for the top of the case.
        Space for another 120, but I left it alone for now.
        Also have ports for water cooling, should I decide to go that route
        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
          3 120mm
          a forth in the P/S
          1 240mm for the top of the case.
          Space for another 120, but I left it alone for now.
          Also have ports for water cooling, should I decide to go that route
          I don't trust water cooling for a computer yet, i'm always afraid that it will spring a leak somewhere ruining everything.

I once saw a segment on G4 back in the day where they took the guts of a computer and submerged it in a tank of cooking oil. things like the power supply, HDD and disc drive were kept out but the cooking oil seemed to be non conductive and it kept the mobo and processor cool.

Comment

nope I have 3x 200mm fans, 1x230mm fan and liquid cooling with the radiator having a 140mm fan and 2 fans on the ram

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
            1992 Accord EX Coupe
            My FS Thread
            Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
            Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

c'mon you're in Michigan! Just pack some snow around it! j/k!

I had W/C'd mine for awhile - it ran a bit warmer but never went above a certain temp (can't remember actual temp), kinda a hassle. Heat pipes w/ sufficient cooling will work just as well. IDK your setup but for instance my video cards were factory set to kick the fans on @ a very high temp, a bit too hot I thought so now the fans are a little louder but maybe your fans are just at idle speeds? Worst comes to worst, I have took the side off and placed a house fan blowing on her....

I did build a PC once where there was a air filter on the air intake... maybe yours too?

PC coolant is not conductive, there's a vid somewhere where a guy pours it directly on a running mb.

Comment

Originally posted by tru2037 View Post
                c'mon you're in Michigan! Just pack some snow around it! j/k!

I had W/C'd mine for awhile - it ran a bit warmer but never went above a certain temp (can't remember actual temp), kinda a hassle. Heat pipes w/ sufficient cooling will work just as well. IDK your setup but for instance my video cards were factory set to kick the fans on @ a very high temp, a bit too hot I thought so now the fans are a little louder but maybe your fans are just at idle speeds? Worst comes to worst, I have took the side off and placed a house fan blowing on her....

I did build a PC once where there was a air filter on the air intake... maybe yours too?

PC coolant is not conductive, there's a vid somewhere where a guy pours it directly on a running mb.
                We have no more snow. It's just cold.
                So far so good. I think it was just the processor cooling fins clogged with debris.
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I know, I just moved from there. I had got a huge CPU cooler from newegg for half off in their open box section, pretty kick ass deals there.

Comment

lol I have this huge cpu cooler that came with my AMD phenom 2 X4 970 Black Edition cpu but never even installed it because I went strait for ICO's liquid cooling unit which is amazing keeps temps around 28 degrees C.

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
                    1992 Accord EX Coupe
                    My FS Thread
                    Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                        What happened there?
                        Also, I spent a good minute or two trying to find a secret pic in that.
                        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

c'mon man you call yourself a nerd, you should know that you have to clean out the dust every 4-6 months. I fact I think I have to clean out my laptop soon.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                            c'mon man you call yourself a nerd, you should know that you have to clean out the dust every 4-6 months. I fact I think I have to clean out my laptop soon.
                            To-Do List for Today
                            Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                              MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X