No announcement yet.

its official...rota wheels are for suicidal people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any kind of rim has the chance to do this . do not just put ROTA on blast . I have at the shop a BMW BBS rim and the center part that was still lug nutted on that came apart . So , this can happen to all of us . just bad luck

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Vtec just kicked in y0

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
      UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
      NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

I have seen a dozen or so rims that are knock off from Rotas in which I am told Rotas are knock offs of others. Im sorry, but unless you have like 60985485whp on a car, I can't imagine how the spokes just break off just like that. That guy had to have been a real dirt bag of a driver to tear up a rim to that extent.

Comment

Rotas are knock offs... So people buy knock offs of knock off now......

They are cast and made in the Philippines what do you expect...
          Example of Rotas

Comment

All kinds of wheels break

Here are some broken ASAs (made by BBS)

Broken HREs

Broken Enkeis

Also lookin for proof that these were Rotas. Not that I'm some Rota fan but I don't see any evidence that their wheels break any more often than other brands

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

A wheel is just another part of a car that has as much potential to fail as the next.

Comment

Obviously when looking at all of these failed wheels you have to take into account many factors such as failure mode, loading, installation, condition of the wheel at the time of failure, etc. While I agree that wheels from a name brand can fail like their knock-off brethren, I believe there are a couple of factors that may make name brand wheels less prone to failure. They are as follows:

1. Product material - When I say material I mean the difference between the intended alloy vs the knock off one. With this comes the QA processes required to ensure heat treats are done properly so the material performance properties are satisfied (ie tensile strength, compression strength, modulus of elasticity...) I would think a name brand company orders material that meets tighter tolerances making their raw material superior to knock-off brands.

2. Manufacture quality: This is really where the difference between the real and fake comes into play. Using a CNC machine to cut a wheel is a standard practice today but knock off brands don't necessarily know WHY a product is designed the way it is. It may be stress or fatigue related or simply just aesthetics. Unless they have the original blueprints then they will simply continue to mimic what the wheel is supposed to "look" like but not much else.

Although we're talking about wheels here, we often do seem to forget that they see their fair share of abuse. They are under a load at all times and are in motion every time the car is driven. They experience a centripetal force due to high rotational speeds (wobble if unbalance), they incur side loads during turning or sliding and they are heated by the brakes. How many times have you seen someone bite the curb, ouch there goes some damage right there. While I'm sure the margin of safety is quite high for wheels they like any other part may fail if given the right conditions.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Comment

this is why i bought forged Volk Re30's for my subaru instead of the knockoff rota SVN. I think my life is worth the extra money.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

I'm glad this thread exists. I've never looked into buying wheels, but I had no idea there was imitators, or that they could do this.
                      MRT
                      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                      Originally posted by Tippey764
                      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

something looks fishy about this. why does the rear wheel of the civic have a curb inpact on it. looks like some BS to me. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Thats what I keep saying about these incidents, that'll happen if you whack a curb hard enough.

How ever they may be using an alloy that is lower strength, more aluminum in it, etc.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                            Rotas are knock offs... So people buy knock offs of knock off now......

They are cast and made in the Philippines what do you expect...
                            Example of Rotas

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                            All kinds of wheels break

Broken HREs

I see the same rim in both those pics - One person says they are genuine, one says they are knock off's.

The word of the internet is nothing without proof.

I also agree that any rim can break, depending on the life it has had, The manufacturing (Not WHERE it was manufactured) process, and the structural design.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

no its because his tailight choice.

Originally posted by jdm****** View Post
                              "you takes the risk" lol
                              Last edited by tommi; 03-21-2011, 05:02 AM.
                              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

glad to know my ROJA Formula 7s are forged and strong. RJ Devera's da man.

member's ride thread
                                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                                91 Accord SE 176k
                                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                                X