Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitsu. Cancelling evo's?!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/02/r...chise-is-dead/

"According to ***u Eusegi, head of global product development for Mitsubishi, the Lancer Evolution X will be the last Evo the Japanese automaker ever builds. Eusegi says the move is part of a shift in strategy to put the company's product focus and ethos on leadership in EV technology.

To that end, Autocar indicates that Mitsubishi will release eight fully-electric or hybrid-electric cars by the time 2015 rolls around, and make a grab for a big portion of the CO2-reduction market share. It goes without saying that the fun-yet-fuel-swilling Evo just doesn't fit that mindset, particularly since it apes a rally car that no longer exists.

Despite the Evo's huge popularity, Mitsubishi apparently isn't scared of the step and says it's confident that consumers will glom on to the idea and rally behind the brand. By killing the Evo, they're making their intentions plain to an increasingly environmentally-conscious car-buying public.

Eusegi killed dead any notion that the brand would roll out a performance-oriented hybrid as well. "Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles. Maybe then we can enter the market agian," he said.

This report of the Evo's death would seem to stand in contrast to multiple reports that an Evo XI is in the works with a hybrid drivetrain. We're taking this latest Autocar missive with a few grains of salt, as we can see how Eusegi may have simply meant that an Evo that relies exclusively on internal combustion is dead – a hybrid Evo would seem to offer a nice technological bridge to Mitsubishi's more electrically minded future. Hat tip to Dennis!"

Lou's Build Thread!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
    "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

well crap. I like the look of the new Lancers.

Comment

Not buying it.
      Anyways, I'm sure Subaru would be happy to step in and fill the gap.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Hmmm the car market really isnt that big right now dude to economy. I think subaru definitely took a hit with the hatch then went back to the four door sedan because people werent feeling it.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
          Hmmm the car market really isnt that big right now dude to economy. I think subaru definitely took a hit with the hatch then went back to the four door sedan because people werent feeling it.
          The rear ends of both sedan and hatch are pretty bad lol

I wonder what my brother will say to this

Comment

I actually like that hatch a lot more then the four door but im more a hatch kinda guy...

Lou's Build Thread!
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
            "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

Comment

Subaru's problem wasn't so much the style, but the fact that they softened the STi way too much. They took all the visceral racecar feel out of it! Plus, the WRX is actually faster in the quarter mile, and it's thousands cheaper!

I hope Mitsubishi doesn't cancel the Evo... that's the only car worth a damn in their entire lineup, IMO! The Eclipse is an overweight, overpowered FWD touring car... a Galant coupe, basically. The Galant is forgotten... nobody even remembers it exists! Their truck/CUV things are hideous.
              The Lancer is decent, but without the Evo bringing some balls to the brand, having the only worthwhile vehicle in the lineup being their base economy car is going to put the company under!

What happened to the Mitsubishi of old... the company that produced the original, absolutely wicked Eclipse GSX... the beautiful (and even luxurious... great leather!) Galant VR4.... the 320hp AWD twin-turbo MONSTER that was the 3000GT VR4 (ok, electrical problems aside... that car was insane! Highest power in its class at the time...) Or even earlier, STILL one of my favorite cars ever... the Starion.
              I can't believe that Chrysler's influence was THAT strong... Chrysler sucks, and sucked even more back then! Aside from the Evo, the fantastic Mitsubishi cars seemed to disappear after the DSM dissolution.

Comment

Hehe, I get to drive a 600 hp 3000gt from Arizona to Michigan in a few weeks.
                MRT
                37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                Originally posted by Tippey764
                I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Sweet. We have a member here with a 600whp 3000GT. I love those things.

Comment

i work for mitsubishi and i dont doubt they would. they have pretty much given up on performance. funny that they STILL dont have any hybrids and the lancer STILL has the worst economy of all its competetiors and the Eclipse is STILL being made at all. Mitsu is a dead company to me. its like Plymouth to muscle cars. they made like 2 cool ones then took a shit.

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
                    And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

The Lancer is still the "sportiest" car in its class, at least. It may not be efficient, but it has the looks and the performance. In my opinion, it's the best looking in its class... over the Civic, Corolla, Impreza (that comes close), Elantra (also close), Forte, Cruze, Sentra (barf!), Focus, etc...

But yeah, if they drop the Evo, they'll have nothing to make them stand out. One worthwhile grocery getter and a pathetic chick-coupe that nobody with any car knowledge would touch... that won't keep them afloat. The Evo may not be a hugely profitable car, but it at least keeps the brand name in view... and it's highly praised, so it's good press.

What they need to do is take the Eclipse and make it AWD and twin-turbo. It's not a bad looking car at all... just way too much power, and way too heavy, for a FWD "performance" car. That sort of thinking nearly killed GM! (I know... I owned a GTP...)

Comment

Wait, they still make the Galant?! No way! Aside from that, Mitsu has nothing but the Evo. Mitsu was dominant in the 90s. They pretty much put a turbo in everything and told the consumer "if you wanna have fun and get chicks, get a turbo." The Galant VR4-Turbo. The Eclipse-Turbo. The 3000GT-Turbo. Killing the Evo, their last set of balls, is a terrible idea. Now when ppl think of Mitsu, they'll think of generators and T.V.s.
                        I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                        Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        My coupe!!!
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                        Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

i hope they just stop producing cars...subaru ftw.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
                            Hehe, I get to drive a 600 hp 3000gt from Arizona to Michigan in a few weeks.
                            lol good luck!

"Tucking tires and wires."
                            The Chronicles.

Comment

wow i hope they dont, the evo IS dope! ill be sad to see it go. with all these *** electric cars (expect the prius) lol. i might just buy a challenger or a camaro. muscle baby

Comment

Working...
                              X