website help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

website help

I could use some help. My Wife and I want to get a site together to allow all of our wedding guests to upload their photos and video to one central spot. I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing this though. FTP may be too tough to figure out for some people, I'm not sure.

So,

a). Any ideas?

b). would anyone be willing to help me set something like this up?
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Shutterfly has just the thing for you. My brother and his wife have used it for their own wedding, and also for the birth of their new baby.

Not quite as fancy as your own domain, but it'll be much easier since it's already all set up.

http://www.shutterfly.com/sites/crea...92bdf80f6d72e6

Comment

I'll check that out, thanks!
      My Car

Comment

Or just create an account on any image hosting site and tell everyone the password.

Comment

We're doing that with Picassa but the problem is I don't think I can download full folders from a site like that. I really want people to be able to download entire directories rather than one by one photo.
          My Car

Comment

You could always create your own site that does that... You have the server to do so!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              You could always create your own site that does that... You have the server to do so!
              I think thats what he was going to do originally, just didnt know how to go about doing it.
              -Will

Comment

FTP would be the easiest way to do whole folders, or ZIP files, etc...

Though it's a little scary for people that aren't at all tech-savvy.

Comment

Exactly. FTP is really easy to use... for people who aren't scared of computers :P That may be the easiest way to go about doing this.
                  My Car

Comment

i recommend you stay away from FTP for this sort of thing, if it is open in any way youll find that it will soon turn into a warez drop spot. PHP-handled file uploads are very simple to implement into a site, really you would be spending most of your time creating the layout and interface that looks nice for your album. throw in a standard "Browse..." upload form and let all of the user-submitted photos accumulate in a designated folder that is directly on the web server. restrict uploads to .jpg only, and youll be set to roll. you can even find an "image gallery" script that will allow users to browse a gallery view of all of the images in a folder, and if it is sophisticated enough it may have a setup to allow for Admin login and gallery management (and photo deletion etc). there are plenty of PHP scripts online that include an example system for uploading photos. you can also find a base template for the layout, or use something like Wordpress to build it. then just combine in the other aspects, a basic understanding of PHP should be enough to get started.

i assume you can find a website that offers a way to create a user-submitted gallery, but i doubt anything that will be contained within a custom wedding-focused website, so if that is what you are really going for then youll have to build it yourself. a buddy of mine is getting married and is starting to build something similar, he is going to send out unique codes on the invitations to track and organize the photos that people upload. he was talking about packaging the code as a system for others to use, but i know it is far from completed...
                    Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-15-2010, 11:44 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

More professional

http://www.theweddinglens.com/

My cousin used Shutterfly, not professional but gets the job done.

Comment

I was thinking about a PHP type page but I've never worked with PHP from the ground up.
                        My Car

Comment

Working...
                        X