Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

installed new mobo, and windows started right up... any possible problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installed new mobo, and windows started right up... any possible problems?

i just got a new board and videocard, installed them, turned on the computer, and it worked fine. found all necessary drivers, restarted and ran like normal. i wasnt even thinking of this as a possibility... i was expecting to format and reinstall windows after the board change. i had the disc in hand, and then it just booted up fine.

are there any possible side affects to putting in a new mobo and not doing a clean install?

as of now, everything seems to be working fine.

i always thought windows was just on the hard drive. So i would say no. But im not a computer tech or anything.

Comment

Does the motherboard have the same chipset? If it boots, I would say you are probably OK. 90% of the time, if there is going to be an issue, it presents itself as a BSOD on boot.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

So long as you downloaded and installed the appropriate drivers, and you don't experience any BSOD, you should be fine.

I would go through and make sure every feature of your mobo is working fully before deciding to stick with your current install, though.

All that aside, it's always a good idea to start over with a fresh install of your OS when you replace the mobo. If you're not going to lose anything of importance by doing it, I'd do a fresh install, if it were me

-mak

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
        Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
        Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
        [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

I thought the title was 'Installed new turbo, and windows started rolling up'.

Yes - as long as you're replacing it with the same board, or a board with the same hardware (chipset, audio, etc). Sometimes windows freaks out if the chipset is different. Not only will you run the risk of having to reactivate windows, sometimes it corrupts the driver hive file to the point you have to do some repair work.

Comment

a lot of times swapping out an existing HDD & windows install into a new computer (or all new hardware, like you did) it will throw some sort of NT VOLUME bluescreen just before it hits the windows startup screen.

i recently just completely rebuilt my computer a couple weeks ago with mostly new hardware (i went AMD Athlon -> Intel Core2duo, entirely different chipsets), expecting to also have to format and reinstall... but it started up, located all of my new mobo resources, rebooted, and has been running beautifully ever since.

maybe there IS a god!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by 'cp[mike
              i recently just completely rebuilt my computer a couple weeks ago with mostly new hardware (i went AMD Athlon -> Intel Core2duo, entirely different chipsets), expecting to also have to format and reinstall... but it started up, located all of my new mobo resources, rebooted, and has been running beautifully ever since.

maybe there IS a god!
              LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea i would say if it is running fine and it presents no errors or faults then you should be good to go.

Comment

it's perfectly fine. just delete your old motherboard programs for the board and install the new one from your new one.

other then that it's fine.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

If you've spent the money on a new video card, and motherboard, it's worth an hour to reload Windows, imo. The computer will seem faster, and be less cluttered.

Comment

I never had a problem doing this.

The only issue I had recently was that Windows XP decided that I changed too many things at once, and needed to verify my software again. Of course, it's not 100% legal... I got past it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by doylna View Post
                      If you've spent the money on a new video card, and motherboard, it's worth an hour to reload Windows, imo. The computer will seem faster, and be less cluttered.
                      well, yea... thats what i ended up doing. after about a hourof messing around, the screen went goofy and the computer froze. i said fuck it, and did a clean install.

now im rockin a 9800gtx+ and vista extreme r2. i know it takes up more resources, but its been smooth for me, no issues what so ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X