Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patterns in private car ads?

The car you are interested in...

- is running on synthetic oil and has had it changed every 5 000 kilometers. Last time was very recently. (If it's not mentioned, don't buy)

- has had its clutch recently changed (That's my favorite).

- has high but mainly highway mileage. (But... it still has high mileage right?)

- just had its battery changed. (Buying a car with a new battery is just as common as human reproduction)

- belongs to a non-smoker or has belonged to a granny just before some kid has decided to tune it up fast and the furious style. (Very popular)

- has just had its windshield changed(He just had to be nice and change it before he sells it)

- has always been inspected at the dealer. (Sometimes emphasized when the car seems to be in a good condition)

- has never been into an accident. (Often in capital letters)

- has several new parts besides the clutch and battery.(Radiator is popular)

- needs to be sold because the owner now has a bigger family. (Of course he couldn't plan and sell it earlier before his family actually gets "bigger".)

- needs to be sold because the owner is moving (similar to the one above)

- has never been driven in winter. (Cars rust in the extreme conditions of a garage you know...)

Which ones are you familiar with?
    NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

-Lady Driven
    - "Fresh Swap"
    - Moving in a couple of days

I'll post more as I think of em.

Comment

in the army, no use for it anymore

Comment

"never been driven hard"
        "never been raced"

Comment

I recently had a similar issue with a car dealer. i went to test drive a Mazdaspeed protege and it had aftermarket everything and was in great need of a tune. I asked to speak to the owner of the place (small place) b/c i wanted to ask some questions about the aftermarket parts. Everytime I said aftermarket he would find a way to correct me and say "yes there are a lot of upgrades"
          "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
          - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            I recently had a similar issue with a car dealer. i went to test drive a Mazdaspeed protege and it had aftermarket everything and was in great need of a tune. I asked to speak to the owner of the place (small place) b/c i wanted to ask some questions about the aftermarket parts. Everytime I said aftermarket he would find a way to correct me and say "yes there are a lot of upgrades"
            Crooks. Thinking we're are inferior in intelligence.
            NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

I love it when they say how much the parts that they put on the car recently cost them. Somehow that justifies asking that much more. I was looking at an accord in flagstaff once and they guy was going to sell it to me AND do more work on it before I picked it up. Of course, the car was kind of a POS so I passed anyway.

needs to be sold because the owner now has a bigger family. (Of course he couldn't plan and sell it earlier before his family actually gets "bigger".)
              When was the last time you knew of someone who actually planned to make their family 'bigger'? This can be taken many ways.

1) My wife suddenly gained 400 lbs.
              2) My 45 year old daughter and her 70 year old husband moved in with us.
              3) I got my girlfriend pregnant and she REFUSES to ride around in a coupe. She wants the car ready for baby!
              4) I hurt my back from trying to get my two Mastiffs in the back of my Miata. I bought a pickup truck.
              5) I realized that being 8 foot tall AND having kids does NOT work in a compact car.

As far as highway miles, you KNOW highway miles is a LOT easier on city mileage - especially when you're drunk and slam into another car doing 75 mph!

Comment

I see this on craigslist all the time!!!> "has salvaged title because of theft recovery"....yea right! It has salvaged title cuz the whole front end is new! Liars.
                VTEC DUDE!!!!!!!

Comment

- needs to be sold because the owner is moving
                  lol the old owner of my wagon said that

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                  01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                  93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                  93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

My absolute favorite is when they LIST the "go fast mods" and then claim "NEVER BEEN RACED OR ABUSED!!!!!!!!" and stress that.
                    VIP Status.

Comment

Great Car Hurts Me To See It Go.
                      STUFF FOR SALE!!!
                      1992 Accord Lx.
                      1992 Accord Ex.(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                        "never been driven hard"
                        "never been raced"
                        these happen to appear on ad's where cars have the MOST modifications and produce the most power.

how ironic that you've never gone passed 2k rpm.
                        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

"cream puff"
                          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

NO RUST!!!! (usually means no BROWN rust, just bubbles, and a rusty underbody)

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe View Post
                              in the army, no use for it anymore
                              x2

There was a Prelude being sold here locally. It was a bone stock and real clean.

He mentioned at the end, "burns oil and spews blue smoke only past 7k." Yeah, after I read that, I didn't even bother looking at it.
                              Last edited by HondaGuy1212; 12-01-2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X