Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to import a JDM car... (formerly "how to become a registerd automobile importer")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to import a JDM car... (formerly "how to become a registerd automobile importer")

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../Ripkg0011.pdf

Interesting, huh?
    I'm still reading it, but it looks like it's not expensive to do. Looks like you just have to be able to modify cars to meet US standards. The fees don't seem that high... though the penalties are steep.

That's for 2001, btw. I'm sure some things have changed.

Re: Become a registered automobile importer! (link to PDF file)

Originally posted by deevergote
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../Ripkg0011.pdf

Interesting, huh?
    I'm still reading it, but it looks like it's not expensive to do. Looks like you just have to be able to modify cars to meet US standards.
    And be a registered car dealer, have facilities to do the work, and able to post a 150% bond on every car you import.
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Yeah, I kinda left that out

I know there is at least one member on here who has a used car facility operating (at least part owner, anyway). The facility requirements seem to be rather strict. And being able to post 150% bond on what you import makes sense. That type of insurance is necessary, really. I wouldn't want to buy a car from someone who might just say "sorry, we can't do it. your loss!"

I can't find a list of requirements anywhere. I've checked the EPA website, DOT, and Customs. All that stuff is so damn complicated!

Does anyone know details on what you would need to do to make a car legal here? I know RHD cars need to have a letter from the manufacturer as well as crash test data proving that the car is safe by US standards. I'm curious as to how a car that isn't normally "safe" is brought up to code. Also, I'm wondering what needs to be done for it to pass emissions (I know post-1996 cars have to be OBDII or converted to it).

It would be interesting to be able to do a good deal of the modifying myself if possible... Getting the car into the country would be the hard part though. I can't just have it shipped without making it legal... dammit!

Comment

Back from the dead we come!!!

I'm once again researching what it takes to import a JDM car (I want my Skyline dammit, and I don't want to go through Motorex!) I found a list of requirements on a website for a company in NY. It doesn't seem like TOO much work... Reinforcing the bumpers is the one thing that seems a little difficult, but that might not even be bad!

Taken from www.automotiveconversion.com:
        -----------------------------------------------------

In general the DOT conversion deals with the safety related issues of the vehicle. Things like speedometers, lights, mirrors, warning buzzers, side impact bars and bumpers are usually changed or fitted to comply with all applicable FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). During the DOT conversion process all work is documented with accompanying photographs. After all the modifications are completed, a compliance package (which includes the photographs) is submitted to the DOT in Washington. Upon reviewing the compliance package, the Department Of Transportation issues a bond release and the DOT conversion is completed.

Here is a checklist of general DOT required modifications:

1) Remove and replace the speedometer
        2) Install a warning light with the word "BRAKE" into the speedometer
        3) Replace headlight assemblies with DOT certified lights
        4) Install a high mounting, third brake light
        5) Modify/Replace door locks with US certified door locks
        6) Install a tire information label
        7) Replace the passenger side mirror to reflect "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR"
        8) Install a seat belt & key warning buzzer
        9) Install door beams into the doors to comply with side impact protection regulations (FMVSS-214)
        10) Install a rollover valve
        11) Install engraved VIN (vehicle identification number) plate
        12) Install VIN location label
        13) Install a certification label
        14) Remove and document bumpers
        15) If necessary, modify and reinforce bumpers to comply with US federal bumper standards (FMVSS-581)
        16) Determine if there are any outstanding recalls on this vehicle
        17) Remedy all outstanding recalls
        18) Submit a compliance package to the DOT, documenting with photographs all the modifications performed to bring the vehicle into compliance with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

---------------------------------------------

What I would want to do is take pictures and such, using USDM junker Maxima parts I could modify the bumpers and ACTUAL safety things myself, but I could fudge the stupid stuff, like the "brake" light in the dash. I could find a way to stuff Maxima headlights in there for the pictures, then replace em with the Skyline ones (I mean, I have JDM lights in my CB7? What's the difference?)

The hardest things would probably be the locks, the impact modifications, and possibly the electrical stuff...

I'm not sure what I would do about the emissions crap. I wonder if I could stuff a USDM Maxima engine in there for those purposes as well... I would do it, if it meant having my Skyline! (of course, the RB20DET that would be in the car I want would go back in after the car got it's green card...)
        Last edited by deevergote; 12-22-2004, 07:30 PM.

Comment

remember that in most states, you will not be able to drive the vehicle while it is gaining it's legality/legal status/dot stamp of approval. i.e. it sits and waits for you while you fill out the appropriate paperwork, and have the appropriate changes made to the car.

here's a link to sho, which has an article about a jdm crx the owner had to go through a lot to get the car registered, but was ultimately able to do it. his advice was simply to go to your local police precinct and/or dmv and simply ask what you need to do to get the car legal.

while i understand that you don't want to go through motorex to have this done in that it will likely cost you more to go through them than it would to do it yourself (motorex is a business, and most businesses, at least ones that last are in the business to make money), i'm sure the process is painstaking and will take you much much longer. in some ways, it may be easier to pay more, having the ease of mind that you have a street legal vehicle from day one... as opposed to getting a vehicle and waiting an unknown period of time to get the right things done. just a thought.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
            while i understand that you don't want to go through motorex to have this done in that it will likely cost you more to go through them than it would to do it yourself (motorex is a business, and most businesses, at least ones that last are in the business to make money), i'm sure the process is painstaking and will take you much much longer. in some ways, it may be easier to pay more, having the ease of mind that you have a street legal vehicle from day one... as opposed to getting a vehicle and waiting an unknown period of time to get the right things done. just a thought.
            Motorex is a monopoly though... they can charge what they want since they are the one and only company.

I dont think it would be too hard to modify a car to get it up to standards.. it would take time, and some money. But you could prolly do it cheaper than motorex for sure.

As far as getting a car over here, you may want to venture over to www.accordinglydone.com The administrator of the site (chris) imports cars, and just had a skyline r32 that he was driving around on dealer plates, and took it to the track a few times. Im sure he could get all the importing done for you with no problem.

Just to tease you.. heres the pics of the car
            http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...ghlight=garage

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
              Motorex is a monopoly though... they can charge what they want since they are the one and only company.

I dont think it would be too hard to modify a car to get it up to standards.. it would take time, and some money. But you could prolly do it cheaper than motorex for sure.

As far as getting a car over here, you may want to venture over to www.accordinglydone.com The administrator of the site (chris) imports cars, and just had a skyline r32 that he was driving around on dealer plates, and took it to the track a few times. Im sure he could get all the importing done for you with no problem.

Just to tease you.. heres the pics of the car
              http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...ghlight=garage
              well, motorex is supposedly the one and only company for skylines. i don't believe they import other cars, but i could be wrong. i'm sure that people that import engines, and even jdm parts, could put you in touch with people to import cars.

again, i agree that you could probably do it cheaper than going through motorex... but at the same time, peace of mind and being a hassle free process can be priceless to some people. on the one hand, you could buy a particular car today from motorex and know that you have a legal car... or you could buy a car, wait 6 months, wait a year, wait 2 years to get it up to code. i suppose one picks their poison.

as far as street legal skylines in georgia, since that's where the site administrator of accordinglydone is located, there's a few (i now know of 3), all in/around atlanta, lol. i suppose some would say there's not much outside of atlanta!

Comment

Well, my thoughts are that Motorex ONLY deals with the GTR... Which I would LOVE, don't get me wrong... However, even an R32 GTR is pretty pricey. A beat one can fetch well over 10 grand. I can get a GTS-T for under $4000 shipped most likely (the one I showed in the other thread, for example). Legalizing an R32 GTR through Motorex is $16,000... $25,000 for an R34 (gotta love OBDII!)

I would be quite happy with the GTS-T, and I would deal with it sitting in my yard until I can complete the modifications. Hell, my 1986 Accord Hatchback hasn't moved since early July! Things like adding a 3rd brake light would be easy enough for me to do myself. I could get the proper specs from the DOT (hopefully) and pay only for the modifications I CAN'T do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  Well, my thoughts are that Motorex ONLY deals with the GTR... Which I would LOVE, don't get me wrong... However, even an R32 GTR is pretty pricey. A beat one can fetch well over 10 grand. I can get a GTS-T for under $4000 shipped most likely (the one I showed in the other thread, for example). Legalizing an R32 GTR through Motorex is $16,000... $25,000 for an R34 (gotta love OBDII!)

I would be quite happy with the GTS-T, and I would deal with it sitting in my yard until I can complete the modifications. Hell, my 1986 Accord Hatchback hasn't moved since early July! Things like adding a 3rd brake light would be easy enough for me to do myself. I could get the proper specs from the DOT (hopefully) and pay only for the modifications I CAN'T do myself.
                  a site to check out is www.jdmsupercars.com:
                  some say the r34 can no longer be imported, as it doesn't fully meet obdii requirements.
                  some say that the r32 can no longer be imported, as it has airbag issues.
                  obviously i don't have a skyline, and i don't know the actually validity of these claims.

motorex imports the gtr and the gts:

also, there is another company out there, rb motoring (www.rbmotoring.com), that imports skylines. i believe the person(s) that started this company used to be with motorex, but parted ways a few years ago.

from their website:

Through recent years, the Nissan Skyline GTR has been brought over to US shores exclusvely by MotoRex and legalized for enjoyment here on public roads and highways. As rare as the cars may seem, getting yourself behind the wheel of your very own Nissan Skyline GTR may not be as far fetched of a dream as you may have been led to believe.

RB Motoring is a company that established a 12,500 sq/ft facility centrally located in the City of Industry, CA in 2003 to help make the Nissan Skyline GTR more available to the general US consumer. We are a Registered Importer. Our staff are all highly experienced individuals so that your specific needs can be properly accommodated. Although "special orders" can be accommodated, each vehicle that we offer for sale is imported, legalized, and prepared for sale so that you, the customer, may survey the vehicle prior to committing to purchasing it.

We maintain a manageable selection of vehicles for you to choose from so that you may have a better understanding of what you will be purchasing. You can see the color of the car, and review its condition and personally evaluate it to see if it will suit your desires. We are also in the works of becoming a respected portal for enthusiasts to the renown Mitsubishi Evolution and Nissan Silvias. Our great momentum has been fueled by enthusiasts around the world. We look forward to helping you achieve your dreams.

On another note, we also import, warehouse, and distribute select high quality Japanese aftermarket automotive performance and accessory product lines such as Gialla, Power Enterprise, Attain, SARD, HKS, A'Pex-i, and Nismo just to name a few. For interested dealers, simply FAX over your business tax information to: (626) 961-7803 and a product line card and dealer application will be sent back via FAX

Legalization is not an easy or inexpensive process. A vehicle must meet DOT and EPA standards and if you are in California, ARB requirements. Direct import of a vehicle requires a Registered Importer to do the DOT work and an ICI to do the EPA work.

The vehicles available for sale that are certified are legal for use on public highways and roads in all 50 states. Emissions certification is performed under stringent California laws and bylaws. Majority of the cars available are pre-owned and undergo a stringent testing procedure to ensure absolute customer satisfaction. Cars available for sale are not covered under any warranty whatsoever, expressed or implied. Prices may fluctuate without notice due to U.S. Dollar to Japanese Yen exchange rate.

Many people ask if they can do some of the requirements themselves. According to the Code of Federal Regulations - all DOT legalization must be preformed by the Registered Importer only.

For more information on importation and DOT/EPA standards, please read:
                  http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

rbmotoring sells other cars as well, some jdm/jspec, and some usdm.

Comment

Cool, thanks Elliot!
                    I think I ran across most of that info already (aside from the posibilities that the R32 and R34 can't be imported any longer... )

I believe the R34 can be converted to OBDII easily enough, but that's the bulk of that $25,000 conversion cost. The airbag issues with the R32 could be a mess, but pre-1992 I think would be ok. I mean, a CB7 can be bought without an airbag if it was made before 1992!

Comment

Motorex will federalize other cars besides the skyline.......

Comment

Will they? I remember seeing something that said they didn't want to "complicate the market" or something by offering other models...

Comment

I just read their FAQ..they must have changed it because I could have sworn that they said they legalize other imports...dunno......

Comment

Perhaps other cars were in the plans before they relized it was biting off more than they could chew... I like that they focus mainly on the Skyline (though I wish they focused on ALL Skylines, not just GT-Rs). It shows that they know and care about their product... I hate the price, but in looking at everything involved, perhaps $16,000-$25,000 isn't all that bad...

Comment

Been doing some research on my own, heres a fax i received with a price breakdown for clearing a car through customs on the US coast. notice that this does NOT include the purchase price of the car, transporting the car to a japanese dock, shipping fees across the ocean, and also the actual costs of conforming the car to US DOT safety specifications...

REF: 1992 HONDA ACCORD VALUED AT $1,000 USD

All charges are based on the value of the vehicle. If the auto has been owned for less than 1 year, all charges will be based on the purchase price. A copy of the bill of sale will be required.

You must obtain a quote letter from the conformance shop prior to shipping the auto. If the auto is shipped and cannot be brought into compliance, it must be exported or destroyed under customs supervision. These charges would be for your account.

SCHEDULE OF FEES FOR NON CONFORMING AUTOMOBILES

Customs Clearance: $285
                              Customs Duty (2.5% of value): $25 **
                              Customs Processing Fee (.21% of value; $25min, $485max) : $25 **
                              Harbor Maintenance Fee (.125% of value): $1.25
                              Customs Entry Bond (weird calculations; $85min): $85
                              DOT Bond (weird calculations, $85min): $85
                              US Terminal Handling: AT COST
                              Container stripping (if shipped in an ocean container): $395
                              Customs/USDA Inspections(only if in an ocean container): $100 or more
                              Reforwarding: $50

AVERAGE MINIMUM TOTAL FOR CUSTOMS CLEARANCE: $1,000+

** NOTE: If you are bonafide government employee, the customs duty and processing fee would not be assessed. A copy of your official govt travel orders would be required for a duty free claim.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X