Warning to those who've done, are doing or plan on doing a 5spd conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning to those who've done, are doing or plan on doing a 5spd conversion

Do NOT use the Prelude tranny mount. If youve done your research..wait..you havent..youre a member of cb7tuner.com..but if you had, youd know that the Prelude mount is different than the Accord mount.

The MT and AT mount brackets are in different positions. AT is higher, MT is lower. The Prelude mount is taller than the Accord mount, making it a decent candidate for canceling out the height difference. Now, if you can read, you would know that the Prelude mount is 3/8in taller than necessary for our application here. What isnt widely known, however, is that it is also 3/8in off center horizontally. The vertical difference is easily fixed by shimming the driver side engine mount 3/8 of an inch to level out the engine so there arent any axle alignment issues. This part of the method works.
    The downside of this is that is that the engine sits 3/8in off center horizontally. This isnt enough to cause any issues on a car with stock suspension, but once lowered enough- two or more inches in my experience- the geometry of the passenger side assembly is such that the axle is stretched out.
    What stretches it out? Well, first is the engine and trans sitting further away from the hub than usual, if only by 3/8 of an inch. But when the car is lowered, the lca is in a more horizontal position. Because it is mounted lower and further out than the inner cv joint, this horizontal position naturally pushes the hub further out from the car, thereby stretching out the axle further. The alignment also affects the geometry, but Im sure I dont have to remind anybody of that. I, for example, have the SPC -1.5-3 degree ball joint camber kit.* As you should already know, camber kits for the fronts of our cars push either the entire uca or just the top of the knuckle out to decrease the negative camber. As you should figure out by that description, this also pushes the hub out, and if youve been reading any of this, youd know that this also stretches the axle out. Toe in also does this, as it is achieved through lengthening the tie rod behind the wheel.

Now by stretching the axle out, I mean just the inner cv joint.

So what can I do about this, you ask? Simple. Dont use a Prelude mount for your 5spd conversion if you plan on lowering your car two inches or more. Unless you want to worry about this issue..then, by all means, put an Incredible Hulk Bandaid on the bullet wound.

What you need to do instead is cut off the tranny mount bracket from a 5spd car, preferably from a junkyard, because I cant see anyone willingly giving up theirs.

The best,most reliable way, however
    [blatant product endorsement]
    is to just plan to spend the extra money on the ESP 5spd conversion mount kit when you plan out your conversion. You can just order the single transmission mount or go the whole nine with the full three piece kit.
    [/blatant product endorsement]

Now I ask any of you that were good little students and read through all of this. Have any of you that have done the 5spd conversion AND lowered your car two inches or more run into this full lock steering cv joint popping problem? From what Ive discovered this weekend and over the past few months, it cant be that uncommon. So post up your experience. Maybe we can figure out a way to have custom axles made that are 1/2 to one in longer for this particular application or find some oem axles that fit the bill.

*[more blatant product endorsement]
    Best camber kit Ive found. Pushed all the way in, it still corrects 1.5 degrees of camber. Hardly a need to get the camber aligned until the chassis is scraping the concrete.
    [/more blatant product endorsement]
    Last edited by texasvtak; 10-22-2007, 03:20 AM.
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

good post. did not know this or even think about it.

Member Ride Facebook
    XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
    SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
    For Sale Thread

Comment

um ok... well i have done a five speed conversion 2 years ago. I have my car dropped, maybe not more then 2 inches but its still dropped. I take corning fast at times and have raced my car alot and i have not had one problem with my axles using the prelude mount. And i have never heard of anybody at all of having this problem. But i do agree on purchasing the esp mount kits and thats what i plan on doing.

Comment

I have the ESP kit with no 5spd conversion.
        1993 Accord EX
        2011 Subaru STi

Comment

I have seen passenger side axles snap on several 5 speed converted accords over the years, each one was using the lude mount as well.

Comment

i've had the conversion done and i can also hear some popping sometimes when driving. that must be whats going on. i also plan on getting the [blatant product endorsement mount kit] in the near future.

thnx texasvtak for taking the time to research.
            <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by tommi
              i've had the conversion done and i can also hear some popping sometimes when driving. that must be whats going on. i also plan on getting the [blatant product endorsement mount kit] in the near future.

thnx texasvtak for taking the time to research.
              I really didnt plan to..it was sort of a necessity to get my car back on the road
              To-Do List for Today
              Be Awesome

Comment

I have diy filled poly mounts in on the front, rear, and drivers side and the esp conversion mount on the trans side. Im also dropped 2.25 on neuspeed race springs. NO CAMBER KIT THOUGH I still have a weird sound whenever i try moving with the wheel fully locked to one side say if i were making a u-turn. Since i know it makes that funky sound i just dont turn the wheel all the way to the point where it locks up. The only thing is though you say yours is a popping sound where i would consider mine more of a grinding sound. But its not a constant grinding as if something were rubbing or scraping its an intermittent type of thing. If i were making the u-turn fully locked i would guesstimate that it would make that sound like 2-4 times before i complete the turn.

Comment

this is definitely a real concern. using a prelude mount to convert to 5spd will also push everything over to the driver side enough to make the stock power steering belt catch on the corner edge of the engine bay near the mount bracket. ive always tried to do my best to compensate as much as possible, including trimming/extending bolt holes on mounts and prying the motor as far over as possible before tightening everything down. the sheer solidity of the prelude mount makes this difficult and thats why these ESP motor mounts are such an important development for us!!

ive heard many mixed stories about using the prelude mount, some people blow through axles (like jon) and some people it works fine for... DhN's car is still out and running about fine.

apparently it depends a lot on the geometry specifics of each car/case... its a cheap "ghetto" conversion method, but it is far from perfect.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=80212[/endorsement]

p.s. im adding this to the sticky, under the 5spd conversion section. definitely something people need to know about, and this thread could be our discussion.
                  Last edited by cp[mike]; 10-23-2007, 12:55 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

my names joe mike..

anyway i used the prelude mount...i had a prelude tranny and an h22 soooo..idk if thats the difference or not but yeh i never had any problems at all..sold the car...guy had no problems either

Comment

Originally posted by DhN
                      my names joe mike..

anyway i used the prelude mount...i had a prelude tranny and an h22 soooo..idk if thats the difference or not but yeh i never had any problems at all..sold the car...guy had no problems either
                      lmao of course, but not everybody else knows that... i just couldnt remember what ur username was tho, the onoly thing that came to mine was rhymej

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

so what would be the proper way then? I assume if you are doing auto to 5 speed then you should drill out the welds on the tranny bracket and weld in the 5 speed one. And drill and tap the h series tranny for the f series mount. correct me if i am wrong. But if you are staying f series (tranny wise) then drill out welds and weld in 5 speed bracket. I just want to try and clear it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by H23CB7
                          so what would be the proper way then? I assume if you are doing auto to 5 speed then you should drill out the welds on the tranny bracket and weld in the 5 speed one. And drill and tap the h series tranny for the f series mount. correct me if i am wrong. But if you are staying f series (tranny wise) then drill out welds and weld in 5 speed bracket. I just want to try and clear it up a bit.
                          If money is tight, then yes, what you just described would be ideal.
                          To-Do List for Today
                          Be Awesome

Comment

I have had this conversion almost a year with no problems, and I have put quite a few hard miles on the car, including severe handling.

1) I moved the mounting hole on the tranny mount so that the engine sits correctly left to right in the bay.

It also is oriented correctly front to back on both sides, as I took careful hardpoint measurements. Also, all 3 of the other mounts lined up perfectly once the bolt hole was moved on the tranny mount. The engine DOES sit about 3/8" lower though.

2) As of yet, I have had no problems with anything dislocating, or causing premature wear, but I also do not have a camber kit yet, so that may change. With the lenght of the inner joint bearing race, and the amount the camber kit will move, I do not see it being an issue based on how far my axle is currently extended on the car with the suspension loaded. I will certainly look out for it though.

3) Also, I thought I should note that I do occasionally have a clunking sound while reversing at full steering lock. This appears to be a fairly common issue with Helical LSD's under some conditions, as the wheel speeds do not match in a turn. It is at least fairly common on Honda's that have the engine mounted in the same location it should be i.e. Civics and Tegs.

Again, I will investigate this further as well.

4) Is there some random possibility that it is your axles and when you used the Prelude mount, did you move the bolt hole, or just force the engine to line up, because that is where the additional 3/8" is coming from.

5) I 100% agree with using the ESP mount, and I would have done so, had it been available at the time I started the swap. As it is now, I would switch back, but I will have to reweld an auto tranny bracket back on the frame when I do so, so if it happens, it will be in the future, unless I start to have issues.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I did not redrill the bracket. I just put the Prelude mount in and shimmed the other side down, not knowing about the side to side difference.
                              To-Do List for Today
                              Be Awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X