Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Unorthodox Ultra S Crankshaft Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unorthodox Ultra S Crankshaft Pulley

I have a brand new Unorthodox Ultra S Crankshaft Pulley.

I heard it will free up alot of power throughout the whole RPM Band. Anyone have experience with these?

2005 Alpine White E46 BMW M3 - 1990 Honda Accord EX

I put one on my 94 GS-R and could tell it revved a little quicker but you won't really feel a big change, should make at least a couple more whp..

Comment

If you have lots of other little bolt ons like that, it will make them all work better, and give you a little more power.

Comment

yeah i put one on my car, its a pain because you have to unbolt the motor from the drivers mount and drop it like 2 inches so you can get both pulleys on, ooh and be careful when you re-crank down the bolt, make sure its to the right torque otherwise it will come loose on you, and thats no fun trust me, and one more thing, the belts are tricky to get, i know the power steering is the same but like the alt. belt is a 41? dont really remember, but yeah you will feel alot more power on the highway and from the take off

Comment

Just curious where did you bought it?
          [SIZE=4] IMPACT
          [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture]

Comment

I helped my brother put one of these (sets) on his '97 Prelude.
            It wobbled even when reinstalled by his mechanic because it wasn't true.
            Here's the deal as I understand it- Honda Crankshaft Pulleys aren't just pulleys, they are harmonic dampers, i.e., there is a rubber part on the stock one between the inner and outer sections which absorbs small, harmful vibrations and stabilizes the movement of the crankshaft. You are removing that and not replacing it with a part that does the same job. We took it back off and sold it on eBay.
            AEM knows Hondas, their kit only alters the alternator and power steering pulleys for a reason.
            Honda is smart, that's how they made shit we love.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
            After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
            Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
            PM me and get it done right!

Comment

I agree with the harmonic damper statement, but if you're not making that much torque it shouldn't really be an issue(some people who installed lighter aluminum crank pulleys on "powerful" engines have issues with the oil pump, a solution is a dry-sump system, which alot of race cars use).
              -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
              1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

good luck with the installation mAN.................
                [SIZE=4] IMPACT
                [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture]

Comment

Originally posted by lucid
                  I helped my brother put one of these (sets) on his '97 Prelude.
                  It wobbled even when reinstalled by his mechanic because it wasn't true.
                  Here's the deal as I understand it- Honda Crankshaft Pulleys aren't just pulleys, they are harmonic dampers, i.e., there is a rubber part on the stock one between the inner and outer sections which absorbs small, harmful vibrations and stabilizes the movement of the crankshaft. You are removing that and not replacing it with a part that does the same job. We took it back off and sold it on eBay.
                  AEM knows Hondas, their kit only alters the alternator and power steering pulleys for a reason.
                  Honda is smart, that's how they made shit we love.
                  The rubber piece in the stock crank pulley is not a harmonic balancer. All it does it cut down on noise. It in no way absorbs harmful vibrations. Did you order the official UR pulley? Because if you did, you should have called them and told them. UR has wonderful customer support and would have sent you a replacement ASAP. Anyway, to get a UR pulley, just go to www.unorthodoxracing.com . You can find them on eBay, but why risk getting a fake?
                  Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                  ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Well that's weird that Honda and everyone that makes a tool to hold it calls it a harmonic balancer/dampener.
                    I wonder who knows what they're talking about?
                    You see I protected myself with the loophole "Here's the deal as I understand it...".

Seriously, I did a bit of research on the shit trying to figure out what the deal was and why some of the more respected mechanic/tuners see drawbacks to the solid pulleys.
                    Pulleys aren't noisy, if the stock one absorbs sound then why aren't the aftermarket ones audible?
                    I don't have links to reference the technical info I read on this but dude...

See if you can find any negative info on the pulleys, I bet you can't not.

I never said that the aftermarket pulleys mess anything up, I just stated the stock part's actual purpose, and suggested that Honda is intelligent enough to do things for a reason. I believe it's purpose is to absorb the tiny shocks created by the actual combustion events in each cylinder through the crankshaft to the pulley, effectively isolating the vibration from the engine internals.

BTW yes, it was the full UR kit, brand new from summit. When the mechanic reinstalled the part to make sure that we weren't retarded when we did it, he had the same results. The pulley wasn't true, you could undeniably visibly see it wobbling. Another mechanic there who used to build and work on race cars said a lot of times the aftermarket ones won't quite be true/balanced, whatever.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I retarded right now?
                    Dont answer that.

Comment

The only thing I can say in my defense is: if the factory pulley has a harmonic dampener to block harmful vibrations, why doesn't the factory Type R pulley have one? I mean, I'd figure they'd want to offer the same protection to their high performance engine as they would all the others

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                      ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Some people on H-T that ran the OEM N1 CTR pulley had catastrophic oil pump failure. The N1 pulley is a race piece(hence the N1); Just because it's built by Honda doesn't mean it'll last long(race engines are always rebuilt, so that's not a factor for them). That pulley is not found on the dealership lot Type-Rs. Here's the OEM ITR pulley(pic from passwordjdm)

Another guy, on D-series.org(Transzex/Tbone) swapped in a D15B2 pulley on his Z6(the B2 pulley doesnt have the damper), and also had oiling problems; he spun his bearings after putting the pulley in.
                        -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
                        1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

i back everything lucid has said in this thread...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Hey Kevin and Mike, I was wondering when backup was going to arrive.

No doubt, the EK N1 pulley is the same way, but I didn't realize they were like that until now. Those are probably the only 2 like that.
                            They are honda street legal race cars with a lot of modifications for weight reduction. You can get a type-R without ABS and that's a safety system!

Just to cause further confusion- the motors those pulleys are for don't need balance shafts like all ours do either. ?
                            Last edited by lucid; 08-07-2006, 09:55 AM.

Comment

honda (and every other company who knows what they are talking about) calls the OEM pulley a Harmonic Dampener. its there to alleviate the tiny harmonic vibrations caused by combustion events...

take a read here: http://www.machv.com/tip11cranpul.html

i figure on a stock motor, ditching it for a solid underdrive pulley wont cause any issues (as many of the people here have done, and are still running it fine)... running it on stronger and boosted motors with much more intense combustion strokes, it may end up being an issue, as it has for many people out there.

as far as quality, UR, AEM, name brand ones are known to be good. there are a few bad ones, ones that made it past QC (lucid's example). noname ones im sure have a much less strict QC process, which doesnt mean they wont be true, they just have more of a chance of not being true.

i dont like the idea of it, underdriving everything and ditching the dampener for a couple HP isnt worth it IMO. the euro-r pulley is cool, its lighter (i should weigh them sometime), its OEM with the dampener, and its missing the p/s ring, which reduces drag right there.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X