Custom Rear Strut Bar / Trunk Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Rear Strut Bar / Trunk Brace

Well, because of the success of my front strut/firewall brace, i decided to fab up a rear strut brace. I wanted to connect the strut towers to something solid, because connecting one flimsy strut tower to another flimsy strut tower doesnt make much sense to me.

First, i made a simple strut bar connecting the two strut towers:

The I added the cross brace that mounts to the bumper support / frame rail.
    The hole was already there in the trunk sheet metal, but it didnt go through the frame, so i just drilled through the frame.

Then I had to tear it all apart to get it powder coated.
    The color is actually dark grey, but it looks like light grey in the pics.
    Final Result:

Total cost: $30 for the steel (Powder coating was free, I just added it to a batch of parts we were getting powder coated for work)
    Total time: Probably around 20 hours
    Last edited by Wallace; 12-02-2005, 12:04 AM.
    CB7 + H22A4 + M2S4 + JDM P13

www.vancouveraccords.com

Clean!!! Do you feel a difference?

Originally posted by cp[mike]
    oh well. its just a car, its not the end of the world.

Comment

Good work. Custom fabbing DutchAccord style

Comment

Its looks good but the question is did it help any?
        92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

Comment

It really stiffens up the rear end.
          Cars feels much more neutral in the corners, not so front heavy anymore.

Although, I still haven't had a chance to REALLY give it a good test. It's been wet out for that past few days.

www.vancouveraccords.com

Comment

please take that bitch for a ride. i wanna know how it feels that shit is sweet

Comment

i did welding at school. but the question is the metal you used where did you get it. and what did you do for the strut tower brace. u had the C mounts laying around so u just made an adapter to it. thanx

maury

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02
                i did welding at school. but the question is the metal you used where did you get it. and what did you do for the strut tower brace. u had the C mounts laying around so u just made an adapter to it. thanx

maury
                i bought the steel from a metal supplier, place called Metal Supermarket.
                it's just 1/16'' steel square tube, and 0.090'' flat steel.

i made everything from scratch, including the C-mounts.
                first i made a template for the C-mounts out of ABS plastic sheet, because it's easier to cut.
                i measured the diameter of the shock towers, and how much room i had to work with.
                then i cut out the "C" shape.
                next i placed the "C" shape over the bolts, and hit it with a hammer.
                this left indents in the plastic "C", so i knew where to drill the holes for the bolts.
                then i test fitted the C-mount, and made adjustments to fit properly.
                once the plastic template was done, i just traced it on to some steel sheet.
                then i mounted the steel C-mounts, and took measurements for the bar to connect the two mounts.
                i cut out a length of steel tube, and placed it between the two mounts.
                then i traced the steel tube on to the C-mounts, so i knew where to weld the tabs.
                i cut out the tabs, and welded them according to my marks.
                then i drilled thru holes on the tabs, placed the bar in the tabs and marked where to drill the holes on the bar.
                then i drilled the holes on the bar, and bolted it up.

now, for the X-part:
                i first cut out 2 lengths of steel tube.
                then i placed them where they were going to go, and traced out where the tabs should go on the C-mounts, and how to cut the tubes so that they could overlap.
                i cut out more tabs and welded them according the trace marks.
                then i cut out the peices of steel tube so that they could overlap, and welded the "X"
                then i made brackets for the trunk, where the X connects to the trunk.
                i drilled thru holes in the tabs and the trunk brackets.
                then i placed the "X" where it should go and marked where to drill the holes.
                drilled the holes in the "X", mounted it all up.
                dissasembled, powder coated, reassembled, done.

hope that makes sense.

(PS - it was snowing today, so no chanced for a thorough test drive)
                Last edited by Wallace; 12-02-2005, 12:05 AM.

www.vancouveraccords.com

Comment

Nice! Thumbs up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wallace
                    i bought the steel from a metal supplier, place called Metal Supermarket.
                    it's just 1/16'' steel square tube, and 0.090'' flat steel.

i made everything from scratch, including the C-mounts.

hope that makes sense.

(PS - it was snowing today, so no chanced for a thorough test drive)
                    that was a damn good explaination, all you need to do is copy and paste it into a new thread in the DIY section and add pics and you would help out a ton of people!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

nice always a fan of the diy, i made a similar rear strut bar a few months back, less involved though. just wondering why you did not just weld everything together to make it more rigid, rather than using screws to put the square tubing on the mounts?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                        nice always a fan of the diy, i made a similar rear strut bar a few months back, less involved though. just wondering why you did not just weld everything together to make it more rigid, rather than using screws to put the square tubing on the mounts?
                        think about the car leaning, and how the X shape would have to bend for the car to actually lean... just the fact that the X is mounted in all those corners would make it that it wouldnt even pivot on the bolts that its bolted in with, so welding it wouldnt help any... just make it not as easily removed. i love the fact that if you needed trunk space, u could pull out those 4 bolts and take the X out, and still have a bar up top...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                          Thanks.
                          This way, i can just remove the "X" part if i have a load of stuff to carry.
                          Also, if everything was one peice i dont know if it would fit in.

www.vancouveraccords.com

Comment

Originally posted by [mike]
                            think about the car leaning, and how the X shape would have to bend for the car to actually lean... just the fact that the X is mounted in all those corners would make it that it wouldnt even pivot on the bolts that its bolted in with, so welding it wouldnt help any... just make it not as easily removed. i love the fact that if you needed trunk space, u could pull out those 4 bolts and take the X out, and still have a bar up top...
                            nice, you beat me to it....

thanks for the comments.

www.vancouveraccords.com

Comment

Wow. I seriously need to learn how to weld and get tools like that. I am very very impressed with everything you've done.

I want one of your front bars when I go DOHC.

Comment

Working...
                              X