EXT: Swapping trunk lids - and retaining a working key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Swapping trunk lids - and retaining a working key

this was posted in another thread about swapping out a coupe trunk lid for a sedan one (this is 92/93, ive never dealt with a 9091 trunk lid). this should work either direction when swapping, but the problem is that you cant keep your working key since the lock cylinders dont swap between the lids... so i found a way to swap the actual pins on the cylinders so you can keep the new cylinder, but itll have your old pins so itll match your old key. just read on... pics by uncle_el, thanks elliot!

lemme think thru this in my head.... there should be like 5 plugs on the wiring harness - one for each tail, one for each plate light, and one for the latch... disconnect those, and unclip the harness from the lid (there are a few plastic clips u can pop out with pliars). pull the whole harness out of the whole on the side of the trunk. take the three 10mm bolts out of the latch and pull the latch out a bit, theres a plastic clip (usually purple from what ive seen, can vary tho) - push it back towards the inside of the trunk lid to release the metal bar, pull the bar out of the hole (this bar is what connects the keyhole to the latch). once thats out, the cable pops right out of the latch... once u pop it out, pull it out thru the same hole on the left side of the trunk. it should be all out now, there are four bolts (2 on each side) holding the trunk lid onto the hinges. unbolt the trunk and flip it over next to the new one - so you can compare lock cylinders.

swapping lock pins is a little complicated, and i can only give very basic instructions because i would be doing it from memory... so i say hold off on the lock, and swap around the pins later, when i can take the time to write a good DIY (i need to get a coupe lock for an example and pics). so just leave the locks how they are for now, you can always get to them later.

bolt the new trunk lid on (helps if u have a second person), then start weeding the wires / cable into the hole. i say put the cable in first, and get that hooked up before running the wires. just stick the cable in, it doesnt matter really where it runs as long as it reaches to the latch. pass it in, grab it w/ ur fingers at the next closest hole, and pass it to the next hole, etc etc until you can get it hooked up.

do the same for the wiring harness, until all of the plugs reach and plug in. the plugs on the harness should plug right into the new sedan lights with no problem.

and voila, trunk lid conversion is done

LET ME SAY IT RIGHT NOW:swapping trunk lids between any 90-91 and a 92-93 sedan the locks are swappable, but swapping to or from a 92-93 coupe lid is when you need to do the following crazy lock disassembly.

for the locks, there is a set of pins that match your exact key. Thats how just your key works with your car, your pins are matched to your key. so the point of swapping pins is to keep YOUR matching set of pins from the old trunk lid, and install them in the new trunk. you cant just swap entire lock cylinders because they dont mount up, but if you swap the pins between them, you can put your pins into the new cylinder, so your key works in the new lock.

for a graphical explaination of how a lock works (itll make swapping pins much more clear) go here and read this page, and then click next and read that page too: http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking3.htm now the only difference is that cars use flat plates ("wafers") instead of cylinder pins, but the idea behind it is the same.

Originally posted by cpmike
    swapping the pins of the lock cylinders - so when you swap trunk lids, you can make it so your key still works with the new lid

----------------------------------------

c p m 1 x e: ok so um lemme type
    c p m 1 x e: this will be all completely from memory
    c p m 1 x e: and i havent seen a lock cyl since i was at ur house
    accordtun3rx: hmm
    accordtun3rx: well ok
    c p m 1 x e: typing.
    accordtun3rx: just see what you can do
    accordtun3rx: as long as it's ballpark
    c p m 1 x e:
    1. use a flathead screwdriver and pry off the shiny metal cap, the one thats over the end where u put ur key in

2. unwrap and pop off the spring and plastic clip thing from the other end

3. the center column slides out of its cylinder shell, and theres these flat plates and springs coming out of either side of it, like 5 on one side, 4 on the other? when ur pulling it out, hold all of the plates in with ur fingers. when the column is all the way out, set it down on its side so none of the plates fall out

c p m 1 x e: do that to both cylinders
    c p m 1 x e: and then one by one pull the first plates out and swap them, then the second one, then the third
    c p m 1 x e: till all of the flat plates are swapped between the two cylinders.
    c p m 1 x e: reassemble backwards and test the keys
    c p m 1 x e: make sure u dont lose the tiny springs, and u gotta make sure they go back in the right spot. lemme draw a quick diagram of where the spring goes:
    accordtun3rx: k
    c p m 1 x e:
    Code:
         _______
        /_      |
         #|  _  |
         #| | | |
         #|_| |_|

^ the lb signs are the spring, under the little overhanging ledge of the plate
    c p m 1 x e:
    how the pins are arranged sticking out of hte sides of the column:
    Code:
          ___
      ===| o |
         | o |===
      ===| o |
         | o |===
      ===| o |
         | o |===
      ===| o |
         |___|

c p m 1 x e: if youre very careful pulling it apart, and pay atention to where you took everything off of, you should just be able to put it all back together, just with all of hte plates swapped
    c p m 1 x e: do NOT rearrange them :-P
    accordtun3rx: lol awesome
    c p m 1 x e: sha
    make sure to take the pins out of the old lock cylinder (the ones that work from the old trunk), and swap them for the pins in the new lock cylinder (the ones that won't work in the new trunk).
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-29-2006, 04:00 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

sexy! now i only need a rosewood brown sedan lid to put this DIY into good use.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

wow. looks like alot of work, but i'm sure it's worth it.

great post.

fourthgenhatch.net

Comment

it's actually pretty easy, or at least mike makes it look easy
        HSHO #3

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordEX
          it's actually pretty easy, or at least mike makes it look easy
          you were the first one to witness me trying out this crazy idea... i knew how lock cylinders worked, so i knew it had to be possible...

Current cars:

Comment

wooohooooo, ive had my sedan lid on for quite a while and im tired of unlocking the car and openind the trunk that way, its time to swap my locks!

^sold

Comment

oh mikey, i think i (with the help of h23accord) found/discovered something that makes this thing even easier!

NOTE that the above picture is of a 90-91 trunk lid lock (both coupe and sedans for 90-91 shared the same lock) and it shows that it does in fact have the long base, the same as the 92-93 sedan lock. the 92-93 coupe lock is the only one with the unique short plastic base!

AND this is a comparison pic between a 92-93 coupe lock and a 90-91 lock... both the same once disassembled!

just switch the plastic end.

i have not seen the cylinder for the 90/91, so i'm not sure if this holds true for that. but as far as the 92/93 coupe versus sedan, the metal trunk lock is the same, it's the end plastic piece that is different.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-29-2006, 04:03 AM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

wow i didnt think those were removable for some reason... i remember the idea crossing my mind but i dont remember why i didnt try that...

awesome elliot, thats a lot easier... makes this whole DIY worthless tho ill have to check the 9091 lock cylinder soon.

Current cars:

Comment

hmm.. when i swapped out my trunk lid from 90-91 to 92-93 4dr i didnt have to mess with the key or anything..just took it out and switched it over

Comment

Originally posted by SsdAccord
                    hmm.. when i swapped out my trunk lid from 90-91 to 92-93 4dr i didnt have to mess with the key or anything..just took it out and switched it over
                    for future reference: aka, all 9091 lock cylinders fit the same as the 9293 four-door lock cylinders so they can be swapped between lids. 9293 coupes are the oddballs and need to have the plastic base swapped to get it to work in the new lid. good to know, thanks ssdaccord.. thats what i was gonna test sometime this weekend.

Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by SsdAccord
                      yea i'll hafta agree with SsdAccord on this mike ur making this more complicated than it needs to be haha. i did it in 10-15min swaping locks from 90 to 92 trunk lid take the whole assembly outta the trunklid and swap it to new lid it is very easy.
                      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by tommi
                        mike ur making this more complicated than it needs to be haha.
                        you only have to use this DIY thread if swapping to/from a 92-93 coupe trunk lid

Current cars:

Comment

Does anyone know for sure that the trunk lids are interchangeable. I have to replace the lid on a 92 ex coupe and cant find one.

Comment

just did this swap on my 93 ex i took off my coupe trunk lid and swapped for a 4 door trunk lid and the swapped plastic pieces on the bottom had to file slightly on the keys cause the other metal part was wore differently but not much and it worked perfectly.
                            im finally back in a cb7 its like coming home.lol
                            93 ex accord coupe h22 SOLD
                            90 ex accord 4 door SOLD
                            91 se accord 4 door SOLD
                            92 lx accord coupe SOLD
                            93 ex accord 4 door SOLD
                            92 ex accord 4 door h22 SOLD
                            93 ex accord 4 door auto SOLD
                            92 ex accord coupe auto

Comment

nice detail, i just have the OG key from my friends blown up parts car, i am a lazy fool. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X