Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best oil for high Milage accord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best oil for high Milage accord?

Hey cb7 tubers I was wondering what would be the best oil to run in my 1993 Honda accord se (275k) the motor and tranny have recently been rebuilt but I just want to take every precaution I can to ensure that it's gonna run better and last longer

Doesn't really matter. It's all based on personal preference.

But I use Castrol GTX 10w30 and I have 265k miles.
    Last edited by dysfunk; 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Ok, but your car seems to like it? Because I've been told to run just about every oil on the market I'm just really OCD about what goes into my car lol

Comment

usually whatevers on sale at the parts store, synthetic mix w/ a filter. and ALWAYS substitute one quart with Lucas

Comment

What does substituting 1 quart with Lucas do? I've never heard of doing that

Comment

I wouldn't recommend using any kind of synthetic or synthetic mix oil on a higher mileage engine. The many detergents in them can actually clean "too well" and cause your seals to leak. I used to have a small leak at my front seal and after adding "high mileage" oil several times that small leak doubled in size and I was losing a quart every 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Civic slayer View Post
              What does substituting 1 quart with Lucas do? I've never heard of doing that
              Lucas is an oil additive, it comes in quart bottles..dont want to overfill.. I believe in the stuff, I ran it in my jeep and one time I cracked the oil pressure sensor not knowing this I drove 120 miles about 100 of them I didnt have oil..heard a little ticking, fixed the sensor refilled the oil and all was fine

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppa694lyfe View Post
                I wouldn't recommend using any kind of synthetic or synthetic mix oil on a higher mileage engine. The many detergents in them can actually clean "too well" and cause your seals to leak. I used to have a small leak at my front seal and after adding "high mileage" oil several times that small leak doubled in size and I was losing a quart every 2 weeks
                so whatd you do? start using 50 weight?

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppa694lyfe View Post
                  So synthetic blends could hurt my motor? Ive never heard of that I've only heard of them helping the motor And keeping my motor running strong and healthy

Comment

I have heard of some "rumors" of synthetic oils being too good and ruining your seals. I've never used any additives. If I wanna clean out my engine I will put in 100 octane to get a nice burn. I used Royal Purple for the longest but I never noticed any difference. Now that I think about it, I had all my oil leaks when I was using Royal Purple! But anyway, after a couple years I went to Castrol Regular Oil 10W-30. I like to run a little heavier oil so that if there is a leak it doesn't leak as fast.
                    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

I've used High mileage synthetic blend and full synthetic. Never traditional oil. Always Castrol, with the exception of the one time I had the dealership change it.

Synthetic doesn't eat at your seals. It cleans deposits left by older lesser oils, thus exposing leaks. It doesn't cause them.

Also never use Pennzoil. It contains Paraffin wax.
                      MRT
                      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                      Originally posted by Tippey764
                      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                        usually whatevers on sale at the parts store, synthetic mix w/ a filter. and ALWAYS substitute one quart with Lucas
                        Lucas oil additive works well IMO but others will say different and not to use any additives, as goes with the oil... It's all on preference, I personally buy the cheapest stuff i can get cause i go through a quart every 1000 miles or less... ! im rocking 270K miles on my accord...

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                          Also never use Pennzoil. It contains Paraffin wax.
                          Then never get your oil changed at a Honda Dealership....cuz that's what we use buddy!
                          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                              Then never get your oil changed at a Honda Dealership....cuz that's what we use buddy!
                              Noted.

Any truth to that?
                              MRT
                              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                              Originally posted by Tippey764
                              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X