Experimenting ideas. Bare metal CB7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimenting ideas. Bare metal CB7

Me and Flatline were discussing this in another thread and it was kinda off topic so I decided to make a new thread. Basically it is a idea of creating a CB7 finish that is all metal with rivets that will be purely for cosmetic reasons.

Right now I am doing some research on what type of coating could be sprayed over bare metal and not rust it. All ideas welcome!

Here are some of the posts from the other thread.

Originally posted by AbsurdNY View Post
    Yea that would be kinda cool to see. Even clear coated, it probably would still get some kind of corrosion to it from the clear coat itself.

Now maybe a thin coat of some type of aluminum or stainless steel like the DeLorean would look pretty cool if that is even possible to do. DeLorean's actually were made of a fiberglass underbody with non-structural S.S. panels over it. If brushed S.S. panels could be made to fit right on top of each of the car's body, I think that would look pretty cool.

The panels would be a bitch to bend to the exact shape though. Someone would have to be a master at using a brake and english wheel.
    Hmm I have envisions of stainless steel body panels with perfectly spaced, exposed stainless steel rivets kinda like a airplane.

I have even pondered the idea of painting a car some type of gun metal/brushed aluminum color and using rivets along the edges just for looks.
    I'm going to create something in photoshop.
    Originally posted by Flatline View Post
    awesome idea with the rivets. but could you generously apply something to the metal to protect it? like dipping every removable part in to whatever it would be.
    Yea I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure there is something out there that would work. I am going to do some more research on this and then maybe hit up the junk yard and find a cheap fender or something to experiment with.
    sweet. now im excited. I looked around a little bit. i don't see why a latex based clear coat or something wouldn't work. lots of precision in getting every little nook and cranny though. and every flaw would be easily seen all the time.
    Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-14-2009, 12:42 PM.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
    Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
    My member's ride

The thing about using a clear coat over the metal is, the body would have to be in PERFECT condition because no bondo could be used.

Here are a couple sites I found that have to do with either painting the car to a metal type finish or protective that can be used on bare metal:

Exotic paints

Metal protective

I have also seen people talking about the following clear coat to be used on bare metal:
    VHT Urethane Clear
    Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-14-2009, 01:02 PM.

Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
    My member's ride

Comment

I know AMS did a metal style paintjobs with rivets on there older Evo's I think they changed up the paint now...Anyway you could always go rat rod style with the surface rust lol.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i think it would be cool to have a bare metal car.....kinda like a Delorean style except you know not being stainless steel and all
        LIONS GARAGE

GARAGE*FRESH

Comment

Wrap it in a clear bra lol i dunno how well that would hold up though. And it would prob look a bit duller.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
            Anyway you could always go rat rod style with the surface rust lol.
            Nooo way. That is actually where me and Flatline started talking about this idea. In that off topic thread about that rust trend. I think that rust thing is horrid and I do not see why anyone would want to do that to a car. lol

Originally posted by caveman View Post
            i think it would be cool to have a bare metal car.....kinda like a Delorean style except you know not being stainless steel and all
            Hmm did you even read the quotes in my first post? You are saying that like you did not see that I already said that.

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
            Wrap it in a clear bra lol i dunno how well that would hold up though. And it would prob look a bit duller.
            I'm not too sure what you mean by this? Care to explain more? I'm trying to do research on as much possibilities as I can.
            Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-14-2009, 08:55 PM.

My member's ride

Comment

acrylic clearcoat? idk.

ACCORDinglynice had aircraft style metal plates & rivets airbrushed onto his car, thats the closest i could imagine right now.

i think itd look cool if you did it though.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

you can just wrap the car in chrome.

a lot of the bubble gum 3000 cars got that treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                  acrylic clearcoat? idk.

ACCORDinglynice had aircraft style metal plates & rivets airbrushed onto his car, thats the closest i could imagine right now.

i think itd look cool if you did it though.
                  Wow man ACCORDinglynice's paint job is really nice. I'm surprised I have not seen that on here before until now. Thank you for mentioning that.

Damn I kinda was hoping nothing like that has ever been done before haha. Now I really have to take it a step further and use real rivets.

My member's ride

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                    you can just wrap the car in chrome.

a lot of the bubble gum 3000 cars got that treatment.
                    Yea some of that chrome paint actually looks really good. This link has some nice stuff:
                    www.alsacorp.com/

That is actually the stuff that was used on a bunch of famous people's cars including 50 Cent's Lambo. They make some very nice stuff but quite expensive.

Here are some pics.

50 Cent's Lambo using MirraChrome:

Chrome Mercedes SL600:

Chrome Mercedes Semi:

Now I would actually be interested in something like this for the project since it is more of a aluminum look and not chrome:

Those last ones are painted in "Ghost Chrome"
                    Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-14-2009, 09:57 PM.

My member's ride

Comment

Wow man ACCORDinglynice's paint job is really nice. I'm surprised I have not seen that on here before until now. Thank you for mentioning that.

Damn I kinda was hoping nothing like that has ever been done before haha. Now I really have to take it a step further and use real rivets.
                      it looks pretty good. but the paint job is "panels" with rivets. on top of yiur idea, i would think you could strip the whole car down, cut and shape the panels out of an aluminum alloy like they make with wheels and actually rivet it to the car.

Thin sheets so that the total weight gain is minimal, but the look is awesome.

Comment

it looks pretty good. but the paint job is "panels" with rivets. on top of yiur idea, i would think you could strip the whole car down, cut and shape the panels out of an aluminum alloy like they make with wheels and actually rivet it to the car.

Thin sheets so that the total weight gain is minimal, but the look is awesome.
                        Yes that is exactly what I am thinking. The only thing is I would probably have to have the curved panels shaped with a English wheel.
                        English wheels require a hell of a lot of skill to use and I'm sure it would be pretty expensive to get those curved panels custom made by someone that is experienced with the wheel.
                        Im not too sure of any other way of getting the aluminum or S.S. shaped where it would look really good without using a English wheel.
                        Maybe its possible to use really thin peices of aluminum that can just be bent around the curved parts of the car? I would think that they would pop up in the middle areas because I would only have the rivets along the edges.
                        If anyone has any suggestions, please do let me know.
                        Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-15-2009, 11:17 AM.

My member's ride

Comment

Chrome paint is nice but still expensive as hell. My friend wanted me and my buddy to paint his Audi S4 chrome we steered him away from that idea. What I meant by wrap was that 3m stuff you use to protect your front parts of the car...like a clear bra. The problem with it is that it might be a little dull. The problem with clear is that it kind of has a yellowish hue depending on which one you use and it turns out a lil dull. So pulling off an aluminum car is hard. If you want to leave it all aluminum you just have to maintain it REALLY well lol and keep an eye on it.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

im gonna do the flat look, im gonna go get est this week
                            flat green body, flat black bumpers, and flat black hood.
                            drop it a little lower and run some flat black rotas

Comment

i'll post more on this later on. later.
                              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                              X