mix-matching pulleys: finding the proper sized belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mix-matching pulleys: finding the proper sized belt

for those of you who are mixmatching accessory/crank pulley sizes or deleting components, you will need to find the proper length belt. many people arent sure how to do this, or how to find whatever sized belt at the auto parts store.

first, decide how many ribs the belt will be. of course this should only be as many as the width of the thinnest pulley.
    key facts:
    Accord: 5-rib alternator, 4-rib power steering.
    Prelude: 6-rib alternator, 4-rib power steering.
    note: all of the prelude pulleys are smaller than their accord counterparts.

so lets say you use an accord alternator and a prelude crank pulley. it should be 5 ribs, but the stock accord belt will be too long. or, say you mount an accord p/s pump onto an H22 - youll need a longer 4-rib belt.

next, loosen the tensioner toward the lower end of its range.

then, use a piece of string/rope/wire and loop it around the pulleys, and pull it tight so it would be taking the place of where the belt should be. mark or cut it to this length, so you can pull it back out and measure it against something straight. this length should be how long your belt will be. this is the easiest way, because i dont know if youve ever tried wrapping a tape measure around pulleys... it doesnt work.

now that you know what size and width belt you need, time to go match it up at the auto parts store.

some brands list belt lengths right on the boxes, and if youre lucky, youll be able to match it right up. belts dont come in every length, so get the next closest size up. i needed a 43" belt, so i got at 43.5" one.

unfortunately at my local Advance Auto, they dont list sizes for my preferred Dayco belts. so ive learned a trick for decoding the DAYCO belt part numbers on their belt rack in the back of the store:

5 = 5 ribs
    05 = PolyCog belt. this may vary depending on which type you choose.
    0378 = 37.8" length. like i said before, choose the next closest size up.

and for those of you in foreign countries, Dayco also lists the overseas part number smaller underneath. in the case for the above belt #, this extra part number is 5PK0960. this works in the same fashion, where the PK=PolyCog belt, and the 0960 means it is 96.0 centimeters.

heres a couple belt part #'s that i know of. if you end up sizing up a custom belt, please post up the part # along with the combination of pulleys that you used, i would like to make this list a little more comprehensive.

5050435 / 43.5" = stock length belt. with F22 alternator, crank, and A/C.
    5050378 / 37.8" = F22 alternator and crank pulley, extra short to omit A/C.
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

nice write up cp mike. your always experimenting and finding out all the details. very impressive as are your cars. keep up the good work. cb7tuner appreciates you.
    frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Thank you sir , this should take some of the head ache out of that stage of my motor project
      WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

lets say i delete my A/C and get a shorter belt, theres no need to tinker with my timing right?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
          lets say i delete my A/C and get a shorter belt, theres no need to tinker with my timing right?
          these are accessory belts, and have nothing to do with the workings of the engine & timing... youd have to move the distributor to change that. it will be as simple as replacing the belt to bypass the a/c compressor.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

great info Mike, I was about to swap out my chipped F20A pulley and put in a H23 one.
            DEVOTE

Comment

For reference.... the prelude crank pulley with an accord power steering pump/pulley is a 44in belt. and i used a soft tape measure. simple

Comment

Using an Accord crank pulley and Prelude p/s pump:

Dayco #: 5040405 40.5"
                http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Ive got a question i hope you or someone can help me with... My set up is a 90 accord with JDM H22A. Im doing away with the ac and am looking for the right size belt for the alternator. Both prelude crank pulley and alt. any idea as to a size or atleast a part #?? Thanks

I figured id start by asking here instead of making a thread..
                  Last edited by Cmqqn85; 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM.
                  90 Accord DX H22/LSD Swap DD
                  01 S2000 Silverstone
                  90 Civic DX K24/K20 ~ Track Whore To Be!

~TeamDOHC.org Join Today~
                  http://teamdohc.org/forums/index.php

Comment

CP Mike... Keep in mind that the H23A and F22B (non vtec) from the Prelude have the same ribs as the Accord; 5 rib alternator and 4 rib P/S.
                    FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
                    Pm meX
                    I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
                    H22A Swap
                    I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Working...
                    X