Speed Sensor Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Sensor Location?

Yes I know this is probably a very noob question. However, I am just still learning.

I was wondering where the "Speed Sensor" is located and whether it is the same for an Automatic and Manual transmission. My speedometer has been bugging ever since I got the car. It goes up and down or doesn't work at all. My fuel gauge doesn't work either which doesn't help at all because I am completely unaware of how much fuel I've got left. When they speedometer isn't working, the distance and miles counter don't work either. Anyway small problems that needs time and a little money.

I need to know where it is located though so that I can look for one at the yard or something and hopefully just slide it in my pocket

Thanks.
    NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

it's on the backside of the transmission towards the top. it has 2 10mm bolts holding it on and some wire popping out, you can't miss it. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
      it's on the backside of the transmission towards the top. it has 2 10mm bolts holding it on and some wire popping out, you can't miss it. later.
      Sweet you're awesome dude

I'm still waiting for your glass polishing tutorial haha.
      NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

its pretty much right next to the rear motor mount on the top of the tranny.. very hard to miss..

Comment

And it's actually only one bolt holding it on if you're pulling the whole sensor assembly. Looking from the top, it's the bolt way down on the sensor and on the corner towards the rear motor mount.
          My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

locate your egr valve. now right under it you should see a sensor. thats the vss. i had to take out my intake tubing and what not to take it out.

no
            Accord turbo kit under $2k here
            $30 HID kits here Thread
            "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
            "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Actually the automatics have two sensors and the manuals have one....at least that's how it was on my 98 Accord with F23.
              VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                And it's actually only one bolt holding it on if you're pulling the whole sensor assembly. Looking from the top, it's the bolt way down on the sensor and on the corner towards the rear motor mount.
                ah yes.. this will save you a LOT of trouble honestly.. its a funky looking bolt also..

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                Actually the automatics have two sensors and the manuals have one....at least that's how it was on my 98 Accord with F23.
                being that this is a 4th gen forum, that really doesnt matter now does it.. there is only one..

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice View Post
                  being that this is a 4th gen forum, that really doesnt matter now does it.. there is only one..
                  Not really, but since all F and H series trannies and such are interchangable, it could relate.
                  VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                    Not really, but since all F and H series trannies and such are interchangable, it could relate.

I'm fairly certain the F23 is NOT that similar to our F22, just as the S2000 F20 is completely different than our F22. And I know for a fact the trannys are different from 4th to 6th gen.

Regardless, 4th gens have ONE speed sensor located on the back of the tranny above the differential near the bell housing.

And yes, that funky looking bolt is the one you want to remove........oh and be prepared for alot of P/S fluid to spill if you remove the hoses from the sensor.
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Actually the DX model 6th gen has the F22...LX and EX got the F23 VTEC. Oh, and they're OBD2, which might be a reason for the 2nd sensor...I don't know.
                      VIP Status.

Comment

plus, if this is the first time the vss has been removed, theres a very good chance that it will be an absolute pain in the ass to get out..

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                          I'm fairly certain the F23 is NOT that similar to our F22, just as the S2000 F20 is completely different than our F22. And I know for a fact the trannys are different from 4th to 6th gen.

Regardless, 4th gens have ONE speed sensor located on the back of the tranny above the differential near the bell housing.

And yes, that funky looking bolt is the one you want to remove........oh and be prepared for alot of P/S fluid to spill if you remove the hoses from the sensor.
                          P/S Fluid?

I took a quick look today but I can barely see or reach my transmission. It's really far and low behind everything and as for the picture of that bold it should help. I'll take a deeper look tomorrow. Today I just had time to drive to the body shop and get my hood's under part painted since it wasn't yet. It looks weird with the whole car having been painted already. I also took off that black grill near the wiper blades (the one with the weird fragile and not worth a piece of shit clips) to clean the nearly 18 years old dirt that has built up and paint it since it has lost its color a bit. No need to mention I broke all of the clips. I'll go to Canadian tire and buy some that fit. No need to be Honda as long as they fit and hold it on nicely. They are seriously the cheapest clips in the history of that car. I hate the bumper ones that all replaced by after market ones that do a better job but these ones are just completely stupid. Anyway... Thanks for the help guys.
                          NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

if its jsut your speedometer acting up, youd probably want to replace just the electronic part on top, which you can find all over hte net for cheap... its held on by two 10mm bolts and is the same for AT and MT. now this is just the electric sensor, it mounts on top of a tranny-specific gear assembly. that weird tall bolt pictured above is deeper down and harder to find, plus ive found it harder to pry the whole assembly out and deal with disconnecting and dealing with the PS fluid, when usually its just the electronic sensor that goes bad... either way the new sensor should include a new drive pin and go right on.

youll have to remove the intake tube and look down under the throttle body area by the rear motor mount on top of hte transmission. youll see the plug tucked down there.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I wish I'd seen this thread before I spent an hour looking for the damn VSS. I was working from this image:

I'll go back out tomorrow and take the intake tube off and see what I can find. There's also this picture, if it helps anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X