Honda needs a production v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda needs a production v8

I know they already build them for F1 cars but if Honda were to develop a production V8, what specs would you all like to see? Stroke, CR, displacement, HP, Tq? Which car would you like to see it in?

3.0 liter
    320 hp
    Mid engine Cr-z...or Beat

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

1.Flat plane crank, 3.2 basically two b16a one crank.
      2. Same thing f20c
      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

They don't build them for F1. F1 uses 1.6 liter turbocharged hybrid V6s. And the one that Honda is currently making for F1 is lacking in both power and reliability. I seriously hope that they can step up their game next season (this F1 season is about done) and make a more competitive engine! I, for one, would LOVE to see McLaren Honda winning races! They have the drivers that can win, now give those drivers a good car!

Sorry, but someone mentioned F1...
        Originally posted by Junior Smurff
        Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

Originally posted by 4GAccordH22 View Post
          They don't build them for F1. F1 uses 1.6 liter turbocharged hybrid V6s. And the one that Honda is currently making for F1 is lacking in both power and reliability. I seriously hope that they can step up their game next season (this F1 season is about done) and make a more competitive engine! I, for one, would LOVE to see McLaren Honda winning races! They have the drivers that can win, now give those drivers a good car!

Sorry, but someone mentioned F1...
          They'll get it. Their R&D has been atrophied for like 10 years now. They made a LOT of progress through the season, and it sounds like the PU for 2016 will be even better. Winning? Not sure, but I think they will be on an upward trend.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

The Honda V8 was for the Indy car series. They were first 3.5 l, then 3.0. They had roughly 670-690hp and reved out to 10,000 rpm on the 3.0l. I'd love to have one of these.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
            JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I've always thought of Honda engines as Ferrari engines on a smaller scale. So yeah, small-displacement with a volumetric efficiency to the tune of about 120hp per liter naturally aspirated would be sweet. Stick it in a more analog version of the NSX.

Lol, as I was typing "NSX" my device suggested "NSX-R" in the spell-check. I don't believe I've ever used that acronym on this thing.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Indy was what I was thinking about, sorry guys. I would like to see something with a little more torque so it doesn't have to rev so high to make power. Here's mine: DOHC, longer stroke, 4 - 6 liter, dual plane crank for a little rumble... Can you tell I'm a muscle car guy? I mainly would like to see something that will give Toyota a run for their money engine wise.

Comment

I feel that Honda should've gone RWD and V8 with the release of the 2nd generation Legend. I'm fairly certain that the Legend was overlooked in favor of the Lexus LS400 largely due to the lack of V8 and RWD. It wasn't a "proper" luxury car, even though (and people will argue this...) it was potentially the better car all around. The later model Legends were only 20hp shy of the LS400 (though the LS400 had over 50ft-lbs more torque... but a curb weight that was 300lbs higher than the Legend.)

With today's fuel economy crunch, I feel it's a BAD time for Honda to bother with a V8. The time to do that was in the 90s, and they missed the boat. They're venturing into turbo territory now, though. Perhaps we'll see some serious V8-esque power from reasonably efficient boosted V6s. Give me a turbocharged 2.5L V6 that gets 33mpg on the highway, and makes 350hp.

Comment

The C7 Corvette with a 450 hp motor is capable of 30+ mpg on the freeway.

Comment

I like the idea of this theoretical engine in the NSX and other sport derived vehicles, but where its needed most is the Passport/Pilot. A FWD NA truck of that size
                      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Passport hasn't been a thing since 2002! (and it was an Isuzu, technically.) The Passport was also RWD, unlike the Pilot, which is FWD (and FWD-based AWD.) I do agree that Honda's FWD "trucks" are silly. The Pilot is a VERY nice vehicle... but it's little more than a truck-shaped minivan.

Honda is going in the right direction with the NSX. I don't like it... but they're doing what the old NSX did. The original NSX was basically Honda saying "Hey, Ferrari, we build better Ferraris than you! For a fraction of the price!" Now, the NSX is competing with the Porsche 918 and McLaren P1. It may not truly compete with those cars in terms of performance, but it offers about 60% of what the Porsche and McLaren offer for 15%-20% of the price. Though I wonder if the NSX would hit competitive horsepower numbers if they replaced the V6 with a V8...

The Corvette's V8 fuel economy is impressive... though probably rated a LITTLE high. My CTS-V is rated at 16-25mpg, and I don't think I've ever seen 25mpg on the highway. I do average between 14 and 16 around town, though. Still, it's the EPA ratings that matter in terms of a manufacturer's ability to produce cars like that!

Comment

Right, Ridgeline was what I was looking for. But anyways, yes the NSX will probably be priced lower than the McLarens and the Porches and the Ferraris but I do not think by that much. And the person that could afford an NSX could afford the McLarnes, Porches, etc and why would you spend that much on a Honda when you could get something with prestige in that world.
                          Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Sorry I know this isn't what you are looking for, but: 8 cylinders was just a way of adding complexity to make up for weak power output. Honda doesn't need 8 and they know it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                              The Honda V8 was for the Indy car series. They were first 3.5 l, then 3.0. They had roughly 670-690hp and reved out to 10,000 rpm on the 3.0l. I'd love to have one of these.
                              It was actually the other way around. They started at 3.0L when they moved to IRL and went to 3.5L when they started running them on ethanol.

But yes, they sounded good. The MP4/4 that owned the 1988 F1 season sounded awesome too though, but it was a boosted V6.
                              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X