Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter is getting hot

ok short and simple people.

1. i started my car no problem, yay it runs again.

2. i have relocated my battery so keep this in mind.

3. now my battery is obviously low and almost dead i know.

4. i put jumpercables on my battery and let it sit for a while and tried to turn it over at least 100 times, and all i get is a wrant warnt wrant.. out of the starter, and the thing is scalding hot.

5. i was told that the lack of power actually made my starter get hot, because it is straining so hard....?

6. is my starter hot because it is bad?

7. is my starter hot because it has a low battery thats not giving enough juice for it to start.

8. when the car was running the starter and wires were not hot...

9. it's only hot after being cranked over.
    "Self Renewed"

When anything electrical gets hot, it's usually a sign of resistance, in this case, it sounds like your starter may be burned out, causing extremely high resistance in the starter circuit, which makes things get hot.

Check all your connections and make sure they are nice and good.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

i would double check wiring and connections leading to the starter. if the batt is in the trunk, where is it getting its power from, like where is it wired to? also it could be a very clear sign of poor engine grounding.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ok everything is grounded verry well except the one that goes from the transmisission to the frame.

could this be my problem?

the wireing is hooked up to the starter and battery just like it was, when the battery was under the hood.

it seems that my lights and everything work perfect when the car is off, not dim or anything.

but as soon as i try to crank it over, and it starts struggling.. the lights dim every slow turn.

I charged my battery for 2 hours and it has juice.. and it still is doing this, but before the tuck this didn't happen...

i will try grounding the tranny to the frame and see what happens tomorrow.
        "Self Renewed"

Comment

If you crank it longer then 15 sec at a time or don't let it cool down, then yes its going to be hot.
          wat?

Comment

oops.... so basically i just need to deep charge my battery overnite, and ground that tranny.. and it should be fine...
            "Self Renewed"

Comment

i grounded everything double what it should be,, it seemed to kinda help but it still has the same symptoms... i think my battery may be bad because i feel a hot spot.

tomorrow i will be charging another battery, and try that. if it doesn't work it has to be the starter....
              "Self Renewed"

Comment

Working...
              X