game for a while and anyone that can help me out

I just wanted to know which lens brands you choose for your cameras
    and why

-dslr only please-

please help me out

thanks
    H22 fund = 3000 hopefully soon My Member's Ride Thread

Canon XTI | 28-135mm IS USM | 18-55mm kit lens | 50mm 1.8 II

it depends on what you have and your preference. alot of people just stick to specific brands and praise them and what not but it depens on the focal length your looking for, vignetting, f/stop.

alot of canon guys tend to stick with canon due to them actually making high quality lens but other brands like sigma and tokina are good also.
    So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

Another reason is price for people. The next two lens' I want to purchase are by Canon but cost in the 600 range each.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
        Another reason is price for people. The next two lens' I want to purchase are by Canon but cost in the 600 range each.
        yea i kind of forgot price...

cause I am looking into getting a zoom lens but I dunno which brand to go with

and also I just wanted to know which brand and kind of lenses you guys have

right now..I am looking into canon (for sure) or tamron or sigma corp.

Comment

Don't get a zoom lens with a huge zoom range, like 28-300mm for instance. The manufacturer has to make A LOT of compromises to make a lens with a variable focal range, and the longer that range, the worse the image will degrade. Stick with shorter range zooms, like 28-70mm, 70-200mm, etc.

If you're talking about pure image quality, a pro-spec first-party lens is always the best. They also tend to be expensive. If you have a Canon DSLR (I'm assuming you do, since you're considering Canon lenses) look at the Canon L line. A step down, but still high quality, would be a pro-spec third-party lens, such as the Tokina AT-X line, Sigma's EX line, and Tamron's SP line. When it comes to DSLR glass, you DEFINITELY get what you pay for.
          ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
          '93 EX 5-speed coupe
          Short ram intake
          Tenrai Himoto catback
          Smashed front end
          Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
            When it comes to DSLR glass, you DEFINITELY get what you pay for.
            Agreed right there.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
              Don't get a zoom lens with a huge zoom range, like 28-300mm for instance. The manufacturer has to make A LOT of compromises to make a lens with a variable focal range, and the longer that range, the worse the image will degrade.
              I agree and I have to dis-agree .. to a certain extent ..
              I shot this bird with my Tokina 80-400 .. and it's crystal clear .. matter a fact ..
              I'd almost consider it Canon "L" glass quality ..
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=91959

The thing about big zoom lenses, is they're slow .. so you'll need alotta light.
              They mostly run in the 3.5 to 4.5 range .. they're not fast like *prime* lenses,
              that can run 1.8 to 1.4 in speed ..

If money is no object, I'd most certainly consider "L" glass for your Canon ..
              On the other hand, if money is of any importance, buy a nice used lens on eBay,
              thats where I got my 80-400 .. and it was barely used .. think I paid just a bit over $300.

The image thats linked above, was shot raked out all the way out to 400 ..
              Most people will tell you that zooms that big that are raked all the way out
              will have some sort of distortion on the edges .. as you can see .. there are'nt really
              any edges cept for the sky itself .. and if you think about it .. anything that you use
              a lens raked all the way out for, is'nt gonna have too may things on the edges to begin with.

Tell us what focal length you're looking for? 70-200? 28-105?
              That'll help alot with us giving you advise, as some companies are better at making
              smaller zooms as opposed to bigger zooms ..

What are you planning on shooting? Surfing? Birds? Spying on your neighbor .. errr,
              scratch that last one ..

What body(s) are you using? This info is quite important for the help you require ..

A Hui Hou !!!
              Tomi
              Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 02-12-2008, 09:30 PM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

right now i am using the Canon Rebel XTI
                so i only have the kit lens right now 18 - 55 mm

what would be a good lens so I can upgrade from that?

and that brings me back to what brand should i get?

should i just stay with canon brand or others?

and focal length i dunno yet what should you recommend?

hope this helps thanks again for all u guys help

Comment

Canon if money is no question...sigma is good too

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by bakedaccord_90

If you don't know what focal length you need, you're not really ready for another lens yet. Stick with the kit lens for now and get out there and start shooting. As you shoot more images, you'll start to see whether you'll need a longer or shorter lens, or possibly a macro. Your shooting style will determine what your next lens should be.
                    ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                    Short ram intake
                    Tenrai Himoto catback
                    Smashed front end
                    Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda
                      I agree and I have to dis-agree .. to a certain extent ..
                      I shot this bird with my Tokina 80-400 .. and it's crystal clear .. matter a fact ..
                      I'd almost consider it Canon "L" glass quality ..
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=91959

The thing about big zoom lenses, is they're slow .. so you'll need alotta light.
                      They mostly run in the 3.5 to 4.5 range .. they're not fast like *prime* lenses,
                      that can run 1.8 to 1.4 in speed ..

If money is no object, I'd most certainly consider "L" glass for your Canon ..
                      On the other hand, if money is of any importance, buy a nice used lens on eBay,
                      thats where I got my 80-400 .. and it was barely used .. think I paid just a bit over $300.

The image thats linked above, was shot raked out all the way out to 400 ..
                      Most people will tell you that zooms that big that are raked all the way out
                      will have some sort of distortion on the edges .. as you can see .. there are'nt really
                      any edges cept for the sky itself .. and if you think about it .. anything that you use
                      a lens raked all the way out for, is'nt gonna have too may things on the edges to begin with.

Tell us what focal length you're looking for? 70-200? 28-105?
                      That'll help alot with us giving you advise, as some companies are better at making
                      smaller zooms as opposed to bigger zooms ..

What are you planning on shooting? Surfing? Birds? Spying on your neighbor .. errr,
                      scratch that last one ..

What body(s) are you using? This info is quite important for the help you require ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                      Tomi
                      The thing about lenses with huge range is that..Something's gotta give..If it's sharp on one end, it's usually less sharp on the other end. At least that's what I've noticed. I'm not sure about 80-400mm, 'coz those are already considered a tele lens. I think he was talking about the lens that goes from wide to tele, like the 28-300 he mentioned. 28-300mm, 28-200mm, 18-200mm...I personally have never seen those type of lenses that are actually good...As for 80-400mm, don't think I've ever heard any complaints about those lenses, no matter who made them (except the fact that it's heavy enough to throw at someone and kill them instantly )

Soom zoom lenses are slow, but some are also fast. I think when it comes to those big lenses, I'd worry about sharpness more than anything..But I've seen the bird pic that you shot with your 80-400mm, and it does look sharp! I want to see some pics from the 80mm end of the lens as well

Originally posted by bakedaccord_90

I'd definitely stay with a first party lens..In this case, Canon..You definitely won't regret it..

As in focal length. Do you want wide angle or zoom lens? For wide angle, I think the 17-40mm f/4L is a really good lens for its price ($500ish)..Sharp lens, focuses really fast, and REALLY close as well..There's also 24-70mm f/2.8L, 24-105mm f/4, or 16-35mm f/2.8L..But those cost a bit more ($900ish and up)

For zoom lenses, well...70-200mm f/4L is also quite affordable, although nothing special..70-200mm f/2.8L would be good, especially with IS..But again, price issue..I guess it all comes down to your shooting style, and how much you want to spend for a lens. My friend has the 10-22mm lens, I LOVE IT! But it's $700, and I definitely would not use it for my main lens hehe..

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

im selling my sigma 55-200 and canon 17-85mm is usm. both used on a xt as well pm me if you are interested
                        So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

The downside to my new Canon Ultrasonic 75-300....? Well, if you are zoomed all the way in on a subject with anything less than a tripod the image is almost always going to be blurred. That is of course, unless your shutter speed is maxed out and you are super still.

The IS feature on higher end canon lenses (image stablization) helps to effictively eliminate this. But, they cost a fortune to get into. lol

1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Haha that looks baller. But sigma seems to be a popular choice also. You might want to joing photography-on-the.net They specialize on the Canon base cameras and should give you good choices.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
                              The downside to my new Canon Ultrasonic 75-300....? Well, if you are zoomed all the way in on a subject with anything less than a tripod the image is almost always going to be blurred. That is of course, unless your shutter speed is maxed out and you are super still.

The IS feature on higher end canon lenses (image stablization) helps to effictively eliminate this. But, they cost a fortune to get into. lol

I feel you on that one bro..With my 80-200 f/2.8, at the 200mm end, I gots to be really still..Can't imagine how it'd be with 300mm hehe..

Well, I have heard this rule of thumb where the shutter speed = 1/ focal length. (handheld, without IS, VR, or any other image stabilization) For example, with my case, at 200mm, means that my shutter speed has to be at 1/200sec or faster. Any slower than that and my images would either be soft or just simply blurry. so at 50mm would be 1/50, 20mm at 1/20, and so on. So at 50mm would be 1/50, 20mm at 1/20, and so on. I find that it's true with zoom lenses, but wide angle lenses, not so much. For example, with my 20-35mm lens, at 20mm I can take pics at 1/5sec handheld and it'd still turn out sharp. Non-moving objects of course But anyways, I find that it's a pretty good guideline for me..

And yeah that lens does look ballin'

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Working...
                              X