Light painting my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light painting my car

hey guys I took these pics awhile back using my nikon d40 and an sb-25 off camera autoflash triggered with ebay triggers. the pics are of my 89 acura legend base model, no cb7 pics yet but they will be coming soon. light painting is a great way of photographing cars at night. whats really great is that you don't even need an expensive flash (one of these pics i used a led maglite) you just set the shutter open using bulb (a remote is a must although you could set it to a long exposure )paint the subject with the light! if any of you have any questions on the technique feel free to ask and CC is always welcome.

this I used only an led maglite.

I really like #4. I'd probably like #5 better if you'd "painted" more of the car. I'd recommend making yourself a larger DIY softbox for your SB-25 with some cardboard, aluminum foil and a white, transluscent facing material from a fabric store. Should end up costing you under $20, and the larger your light source, the better your results will be with a larger subject like a car. I know it can be tough working with a hotshoe flash set up that far from the subject, though. Nice work!
    ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
    Short ram intake
    Tenrai Himoto catback
    Smashed front end
    Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
      I really like #4. I'd probably like #5 better if you'd "painted" more of the car. I'd recommend making yourself a larger DIY softbox for your SB-25 with some cardboard, aluminum foil and a white, transluscent facing material from a fabric store. Should end up costing you under $20, and the larger your light source, the better your results will be with a larger subject like a car. I know it can be tough working with a hotshoe flash set up that far from the subject, though. Nice work!

I know what you mean lol, I am looking to make one of those actually. I am also looking to get an sb-600 seeing as they finally gone down in price. then maybe get one of those 40$ softbox things that go over it, so that way i can use on the car too. I got some light stands and some umbrellas for xmas that i haven't really tried out yet. I think i will do a cb7 shoot with them though. you wouldn't happen to be a member of strobist would you? thanks for the comment!

heres a video of a photographer shooting some cars at a museum. he uses an sb-24 and a softbox but he gets some great results!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMQt...automagic.html

Comment

Working...
      X