Exploring with my new D40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploring with my new D40

Well I finally got out of the house with my Camera. And my mom's car (I absolutely love this thing... 18's bitches). My hands were cold messing with stuff... plus I really don't know how to use the camera well. I'm really trying to figure out what to add to a picture to give it that final something which makes it stand out... to me they all look kinda boring. Anyways, here are some.

Comments/Criticism welcome.
    Click for my ride thread.

nice pics......

My Cm7

My Cb7 (DD)

Comment

some fresh ideas...i like the one with the car highlighted by the sun...you should try cropping it so the horizon is a little straighter and the car is cropped center

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

under exposure owns you. what mode are you shooting on?
        So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

For the pictures of the sun in the background and the car out in front I couldn't find a balance between the sun washing everything out and the car being too dark.

I was using p with negative exposure I tried 0 exposure difference too. I used -.7 I think. I tried manual a little but I'm not skilled enough, I didn't know what would be best to use and my hands were cold.

I'm happy with number 4... minus the hella bright side of the car. Its weird, I took like 5 shots there and wayyy more at the other spot but whatever.

Comment

The first two are severely underexposed and have no clear subject. In 5 and 7, the backlight is too strong and overpowers the foreground, confusing the viewer as to whether the subject is supposed to be the light or the car. 3 is underexposed. 4 and 6 are great!
            ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
            '93 EX 5-speed coupe
            Short ram intake
            Tenrai Himoto catback
            Smashed front end
            Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
              The first two are severely underexposed and have no clear subject. In 5 and 7, the backlight is too strong and overpowers the foreground, confusing the viewer as to whether the subject is supposed to be the light or the car. 3 is underexposed. 4 and 6 are great!
              i dunno about that...underexposure is a photographic technique

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                Well I didn't really mean for it to be in this scenario. For the first one I was trying to underexpose the trees and get the background, it's a really pretty landscape, but it kind fo failed because you couldn't see enough of the background...

Yeah, no clear subject I am kinda seeing that now.

In this situations what would have been better to do? I feel liek that sun picture with the car in the foreground has potential but I was missing something, but maybe I'm just imagining that.

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                  Underexposure can be a photographic technique when used properly.

Originally posted by ilovemycb7
                  Well I didn't really mean for it to be in this scenario. For the first one I was trying to underexpose the trees and get the background, it's a really pretty landscape, but it kind fo failed because you couldn't see enough of the background...

Yeah, no clear subject I am kinda seeing that now.

In this situations what would have been better to do? I feel liek that sun picture with the car in the foreground has potential but I was missing something, but maybe I'm just imagining that.
                  I see what you were going for in image number 7, but the sun was unfortunately far too bright. This could probably be worked with if the photo was taken in RAW and some Photoshop work was done, but as is the image doesn't work nearly as well as it should.

#3 would have worked if you had turned the flash off and exposed for the rear corner of the car. Instead, the flash brought the front of the car up just right, but left the back dim and underexposed, unbalancing the image.

#5 could probably be saved with very little Photoshop work. Create a new layer, mask off everything except for the car and bring the exposure up just a bit. This would leave the majority of the image untouched, but bring the car up to match the rest of it.

Next time, I'd recommend not having the sun come straight into the camera, as this can very easily ruin an exposure. Take your photos from an angle with the sun out of frame, or with it mainly behind you as in image #4. Bring a tripod and turn off the in-camera flash. This will give you much more natural lighting.
                  ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                  '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                  Short ram intake
                  Tenrai Himoto catback
                  Smashed front end
                  Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

I use that same camera! I agree with all that camuri says a tripod and working in raw are a must. I like the composition of number 4. also try using the rule of thirds when your framing your material. great work!

Comment

I tried with rule of thirds. Typically I stick with it exactly, but this tiem with the sun I was really trying to get something going with both of them in the frame... it, as you can see, was kind of a fail.

Tripod even with that much light? Really makes a difference?

I tried with flash becuase it would allow a slower exposure while lighting the car, that too didn't work out all too well.

Comment

I tried with rule of thirds. Typically I stick with it exactly, but this tiem with the sun I was really trying to get something going with both of them in the frame... it, as you can see, was kind of a fail.

Tripod even with that much light? Really makes a difference?

I tried with flash becuase it would allow a slower exposure while lighting the car, that too didn't work out all too well.

I use the tripod as much as possible, any little bit to get it tack sharp. also next time try shooting your car around sunset or twilight, you'll get better results because the light will be softer.

Comment

Yeah, that's true. I typically don't go out ready to shoot though, I just had my camera and I was exploring and I found this spot. But that is very true...

I got a tripod for Christmas I should start using it. Random... if you have like a 3 second shutter speed, or something for night time like that. And you push it down to take the picture does moving your hand move the camera a little on your tripod? Like sometimes I put it on a 2 second delay so there is no interference with when the shutter is open.

Comment

#4 is nice...its just that black part of pavement kinda takes away from it

Comment

Yeah, that's true. I typically don't go out ready to shoot though, I just had my camera and I was exploring and I found this spot. But that is very true...

I got a tripod for Christmas I should start using it. Random... if you have like a 3 second shutter speed, or something for night time like that. And you push it down to take the picture does moving your hand move the camera a little on your tripod? Like sometimes I put it on a 2 second delay so there is no interference with when the shutter is open.

yeah it will move the camera, the timer will help out. I bought one of these
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-ML-L3-MLL3...QQcmdZViewItem
                              it's a wireless remote and it really comes in handy. it only cost about $15 to $20 dollars I only paid $15 for mine and thats including shipping. then you set the d40 for wireless remote, and your good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X