Canon Rebel Xti VS. Nikon D40x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Rebel Xti VS. Nikon D40x

looking to get me a D-SLR entry level camera. with a bit of research, i have narrowed down the choice between the Xti and the D40x. please vote and post why.. or would you recomend another in the same price range. thanks..
    Canon Rebel Xti
    77.42%
    Nikon D40x
    22.58%
    Last edited by casterX; 01-06-2008, 07:52 AM.

xti hands down.

the d40 is nice but it has limited lens choices as the xti can take any eos lens as well as the higher resolution.

"Tucking tires and wires."
    The Chronicles.

Comment

Sony α100 or Pentax K10D. Built-in anti-shake and a huge selection of lenses.
      ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
      '93 EX 5-speed coupe
      Short ram intake
      Tenrai Himoto catback
      Smashed front end
      Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

been there already.. thus, i'm asking for personal opinions.. thanks..

Comment

Buy a Camera that suits what you need and your functions. Thats why I posted that since it lists the different functions in the side by side comparisons. If a certain camera has all the functions you need and its cheaper why not go for that one? I dunno I got an XTi I am satisfied with it. Need a better lens though.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4
              xti hands down.

the d40 is nice but it has limited lens choices as the xti can take any eos lens as well as the higher resolution.
              x100000000000043095680239468-2345=6-43-6809126-093409683509268709358789453746357467362

JDMRIDES.ca

Comment

Sony A100, anti-shake.

Comment

Originally posted by bowzil
                  Sony A100, anti-shake.
                  Built-in anti-shake FTW. Any lens you attach to the front has IS at no extra cost. It's sort of a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
                  ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

'93 EX 5-speed coupe
                  Short ram intake
                  Tenrai Himoto catback
                  Smashed front end

Comment

Originally posted by bowzil
                    Sony A100, anti-shake.

Originally posted by Camurai
                    Built-in anti-shake FTW. Any lens you attach to the front has IS at no extra cost. It's sort of a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

though wouldn't you rather get the new A200?

Comment

I gotta go with the D40x. I just helped my mom pick out a D80, and the D40 is basically the D80 lite. I seriously thought about getting a D40 myself, but I'd rather save up the extra for the D80.

Having used the Rebel (my girlfriends' parent's), I gotta say I didn't like it. It just felt cheap in my hands, I didn't like the menus, etc. After playing with the D40, it feels a bit more solid to me, seemed easier to use, and I liked the picture quality a bit more. After playing with my mom's D80, I'm really impressed with Nikon digitals.

I have a regular Canon SLR that I like a lot, but for the digital, I'd go Nikon; I'm going to get one this summer, after I work some (i don't much during the school year).

That's my two cents.
                      1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by benji
                        I gotta go with the D40x. I just helped my mom pick out a D80, and the D40 is basically the D80 lite. I seriously thought about getting a D40 myself, but I'd rather save up the extra for the D80.

Having used the Rebel (my girlfriends' parent's), I gotta say I didn't like it. It just felt cheap in my hands, I didn't like the menus, etc. After playing with the D40, it feels a bit more solid to me, seemed easier to use, and I liked the picture quality a bit more. After playing with my mom's D80, I'm really impressed with Nikon digitals.

I have a regular Canon SLR that I like a lot, but for the digital, I'd go Nikon; I'm going to get one this summer, after I work some (i don't much during the school year).

That's my two cents.
                        how can you say the picture quality is better on the d40? when the rebel has better resolution?
                        So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

Originally posted by nghtrydr23
                          how can you say the picture quality is better on the d40? when the rebel has better resolution?
                          True but it also depends on the person taking the picture. Crappy pics can make a camera look like poo.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

rebel xti no questions asked
                            GOT REBEL?

"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer."

Comment

Originally posted by nghtrydr23
                              Resolution isn't everything. Lens quality is extremely important, as well as sensor quality. Does the camera have built-in anti-shake? (This is extremely important for hand-held shooting.) How does the sensor handle low light, high ISO images? What kind of noise levels does the camera produce? How well does it handle chromatic aberration? (The colored fringe between areas of high contrast: it looks like the purple/blue flicker at the cutoff of an HID beam.) There are a lot more factors to consider than just who has the bigger megapixel rating.

Originally posted by casterX
                              though wouldn't you rather get the new A200?
                              The new Sony camera is the A700. They don't make an A200. As for that, I'm considering that one, but I want to wait and see what kind of price point they set for the new Pro-spec DSLR that's coming out this spring before I decide. The reason I specified the A100, however, was that the OP was asking about entry-level DSLRs. The A700 is definitely NOT an entry-level camera. It's designed to compete with the Canon 40D and the Nikon D300. $1300-1400 is a little pricey for someone looking to get into their first DSLR.
                              Last edited by Camurai; 01-08-2008, 04:08 PM.

Project Deerslayer

'93 EX 5-speed coupe
                              Short ram intake
                              Tenrai Himoto catback
                              Smashed front end

Comment

Working...
                              X