Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on LOMO SLR lens kit?

http://usa.shop.lomography.com/acces...-lenses-bundle

Im a huge Lomography fan, and have been so since around 2006.

I own a Colorsplash 35mm camera and would love to pick up some more, but as some of you know, my next pickup is going to be the T3i.

So i want to know what some of you SLR guys think about picking up this Diana kit.

4 lenses for $156 is pretty cool imo.

I know im not getting L glass at that price but i figured these lenses will give me some ways to experiment and hold me over till i have the money to pickup a good zoom lens.

So ideas?

Im also curious about what you guys think about the crop factor because of the lenses being adhered to an APC-S camera as opposed to a 35mm or full frame SLR.

Is it worth it?

And it says it is compatible with the standard EOS Canon cameras so then it should with the t3i eh?
    Last edited by Ralphie; 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM.

Anyone?

Comment

Ralphie .. just buy a DSLR already ..

Seriously .. I have no experiance with Lomo .. but I'd have to say they sound a bit limiting ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
        Ralphie .. just buy a DSLR already ..

Seriously .. I have no experiance with Lomo .. but I'd have to say they sound a bit limiting ..
        Im saving up for it lol.

My wifey has about half the money....so hopefully by the end of the year ill have the damn thing lol.

Yea they do but they also seem to have advantages....

like.....

Originally posted by Diana Site
        The Diana F+ 110 mm Telephoto Lens in combination with any 35mm camera will act like a 200mm super tele lens. With an APS-C the Telephoto Lens is equivalent to a 320mm super – duper – tele lens!
        That sounds pretty cool?

I figure since the lens i want is like $1200, these will suffice for everyday bs until i can pickup the lens i want.

Then i can always hock the diana lenses or keep em.
        Last edited by Ralphie; 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          Im saving up for it lol.

My wifey has about half the money....so hopefully by the end of the year ill have the damn thing lol.

Yea they do but they also seem to have advantages....

like.....

That sounds pretty cool?

I figure since the lens i want is like $1200, these will suffice for everyday bs until i can pickup the lens i want.

Then i can always hock the diana lenses or keep em.
          Extra glass means less light and decreased sharpness. I can't tell if these are just lenses that snap on to the body though an adapter piece? Either way, and with most anything else, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I bought a Minolta MM to EOS adapter not too long ago to use my old film lenses with my Canon Rebel... just that small bit of glass in the adapter made my zoom lenses very soft as far as image sharpness is concerned. I haven't touched it since.

If you're looking for decent quality lenses that won't leave you penny-less, look into lenses by Sigma. They build solid lenses. I have a 10-20mm wide angle and I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
            Extra glass means less light and decreased sharpness. I can't tell if these are just lenses that snap on to the body though an adapter piece? Either way, and with most anything else, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I bought a Minolta MM to EOS adapter not too long ago to use my old film lenses with my Canon Rebel... just that small bit of glass in the adapter made my zoom lenses very soft as far as image sharpness is concerned. I haven't touched it since.

If you're looking for decent quality lenses that won't leave you penny-less, look into lenses by Sigma. They build solid lenses. I have a 10-20mm wide angle and I love it!
            Hmmm interesting.

Yea the lenses each snap onto the body via an adapter.

Thanks for the tip, ill check out Sigma.

Comment

Originally posted by lsn92ex View Post
              I LOVE my Sigi 15-30 .. amazing lens ..

Comment

OMG i can't believe ive been naive to Sigma.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm...=284BVGO9L8PH3

That is it.

Same fucking price as the 4 kit from Diana, but it has amazing reviews...

amazing macro capability and good zoom.

Im sold.

Comment

OMG i can't believe ive been naive to Sigma.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm...=284BVGO9L8PH3

That is it.

Same fucking price as the 4 kit from Diana, but it has amazing reviews...

amazing macro capability and good zoom.

Im sold.

See, the thing is, you're gonna have "purists" who claim that nothing but *L* glass is gonna work or even come close.
                  Just like you have the "purists" that say they never use photoshop, and try to get it all "right" in the camera.
                  Yeah ok .. like we ALL don't try to get it "right" from the get go ..

There are "alternatives" out there that will do juuussst fine .. it's not the arrow .. it's the indian .. I always say ..
                  Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post

See, the thing is, you're gonna have "purists" who claim that nothing but *L* glass is gonna work or even come close.
                    Just like you have the "purists" that say they never use photoshop, and try to get it all "right" in the camera.
                    Yeah ok .. like we ALL don't try to get it "right" from the get go ..

There are "alternatives" out there that will do juuussst fine .. it's not the arrow .. it's the indian .. I always say ..
                    Spoken like a true gentlemen.

I agree 100%.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

i agree sigma makes some great stuff... that lens however, i have personal experience with and it was complete junk. just telling the truth, it takes FOREVER to autofocus and isnt sharp by any stretch...... but, if u wanna just have a tele right away i say go for it.... its not too expensive to just buy and flip later on... just know its nothing special.... sorry to be that guy.

a better alternative for not much more money is the canon 55-250 IS it from what i hear is a much better alternative. theres a reason some lenses cost more than others.

and hey! stop prosecuting us L glass users!
                      Last edited by J-specCb4; 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                      The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                        i agree sigma makes some great stuff... that lens however, i have personal experience with and it was complete junk. just telling the truth, it takes FOREVER to autofocus and isnt sharp by any stretch...... but, if u wanna just have a tele right away i say go for it.... its not too expensive to just buy and flip later on... just know its nothing special.... sorry to be that guy.

a better alternative for not much more money is the canon 55-250 IS it from what i hear is a much better alternative. theres a reason some lenses cost more than others.

and hey! stop persecuting us L glass users!
                        Damn brah you are hot and cold lol.

Every thread your either positive or negative ROFL.

Na im just joking, and i appreciate the advice, that is what i need from you guys with hands on experience.

Ok, well ill check out some other Sigma items.

I actually think i had that Canon lens bookmarked.

Is their a difference when using a non Canon lens with a Canon camera?

I mean i know it will work, but quality wise?

Oh and i fixed your post lol.....at least i think that is what you meant to say.

Comment

Damn brah you are hot and cold lol.

Every thread your either positive or negative ROFL.

Na im just joking, and i appreciate the advice, that is what i need from you guys with hands on experience.

Ok, well ill check out some other Sigma items.

I actually think i had that Canon lens bookmarked.

Is their a difference when using a non Canon lens with a Canon camera?

I mean i know it will work, but quality wise?

Oh and i fixed your post lol.....at least i think that is what you meant to say.

whats that supposed to mean? i just shared some experience in attempt to shed some light on the subject at hand.

ive owned sigma, and tokina lenses, and they have been great, but they were a little more on the higher end of their lineup. ive seen that some of their entry level stuff is a bit rough vs canons entry level glass.

im not sure what u mean asking if their is a difference? every lens is going to have different optics... its just preference. sigma is known to give a warm color cast in some of their lenses.. i prefer canon lenses in MOST cases, but that doesnt mean im against buying third party glass... i just dont see anything currently that i NEED to have from those manufactures....

"Tucking tires and wires."
                          The Chronicles.

Comment

and hey! stop prosecuting us L glass users!
                            I can imagine that after using L glass, you'd never want to go back... just as I've been using my 60D and my Rebel looks/ feels like a joke now....
                            but I've never used L glass... and as far as I'm concerned, I have to remember that my Rebel took some damn good pictures...
                            That being said, you can get a great looking picture from Sigma glass... just know that an L series lens will eat your lunch.

I hope you catch my drift.

Comment

whats that supposed to mean? i just shared some experience in attempt to shed some light on the subject at hand.

ive owned sigma, and tokina lenses, and they have been great, but they were a little more on the higher end of their lineup. ive seen that some of their entry level stuff is a bit rough vs canons entry level glass.

im not sure what u mean asking if their is a difference? every lens is going to have different optics... its just preference. sigma is known to give a warm color cast in some of their lenses.. i prefer canon lenses in MOST cases, but that doesnt mean im against buying third party glass... i just dont see anything currently that i NEED to have from those manufactures....
                              Damn i said i was only joking, no need to get offended.

What i meant, is that in one post you will cast Rebels as a joke and then in another post claim your thinking of picking one up.

I feel like you flip flop, but i believe that is because your posts are either in reference to what YOU want or in reference to what the POST is asking.

for example-

Originally posted by J-SpecCb4
                              i just dont see anything currently that i NEED to have from those manufactures
                              I appreciate the advice, but try to remember that im asking for advice on what I should get, not what you NEED.

If you keep to one post format, then it will be less confusing.

Ok so with that aside-

again, i do appreciate the advice.

This got OT, as i was asking about the Diana lenses but i did not do my HW.

I did not know i could aquire a zoom macro lens for that cheap.

To me, id rather have a single solid lens that obtains awesome shots then 4 lenses that produce average shots.

And besides, my phone can probably produce the photos that the Diana lenses can produce, with the exception of the MP.

I wanted to stick with Canon lenses but the ones i was looking at was in the $250-$2600 range....

after dropping $800 on a body w lense i wont really have another $300 for an extra lense......and if i pickup L glass ill have no place to sleep lol.

So....

i want a good starter zoom lense....$165 is a good range for me.

Ill keep reading and looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X