Nifty Fifty? Other? New d40 lens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nifty Fifty? Other? New d40 lens!

So I have the kit lens, 18-55mm. It works for me alright, but I'd love to be able to get the background to blur on some car shots. I've read a lot of people say the nifty fifty is a great inexpensive lens.

I like to take pictures of my car, but I don't get out a lot. Ideally I'd love to take pictures of almost anything.

A long zoom lens is just too expensive and unnecessary for me.

What would be a good 50mm lens to buy, I know the d40 doesn't have autofocus in the body (lame!) so I'm not sure if I'm stuck with the nikon 50mm or what. I've been googling, but I thought some of you guys might have some advice. Feel free to throw out some other suggestions as well.
    Click for my ride thread.

if u can find a 50mm that does have a focus motor grab it up... what causes the background to be blurry is the large aperture available in the 50mm... nifty 50 is by far best lens u will buy for the money whether u have to manual focus or not... its very good to learn with it makes u compose differently and gives u a more artisitc feeling while u are shooting....

hope this helps.

"Tucking tires and wires."
    The Chronicles.

Comment

Yeah. Definitely makes me feel better about getting one. I am making a christmas list.

I wish i had a d70 or a camera which would handle some lenses better. I was aware of the large aperture, just wasn't clear in my original post.

Where would be the place to get one / find one with a motor or even not a motor built in? I'm looking on adaroma but I'm not sure. I basically want the cheapest nifty fifty that's still sharp. Manual focus is alright.

Comment

get a Canon 1.8. If you can afford the 1.4, do that

A nifty will FORCE you to learn how to compose much better and position yourself for better shooting. It's definitely sharp, but under low light conditions, it SUCKS for focusing. It hunts way too much.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

http://www.adorama.com/CA5018AF.html...01.8&item_no=2

? Will this auto focus on the d40? Or fit?

Nice. I was just reading to get the canon.

Comment

fuck, my bad. LMAO. I'm read 40D for some reasonLOLMAO!!!

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Damn it! What a trick.

So I guess I'm with a nikon lense then, huh?

New Question:

Any filter really necessary? Or useful?
              Last edited by ilovemycb7; 11-30-2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

I use a normal UV filter for protection only. Shouldnt need it I havent had to and it still gets better image quality than my 18-55 sometimes.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i personally wouldnt use a uv filter as i have gotten some stupid reflections from strong light sources because of the uv filter.... im just careful... my 50mm is over 2 years old and is still like it was when it was new... and i beat the crap out of it....

The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                    i personally wouldnt use a uv filter as i have gotten some stupid reflections from strong light sources because of the uv filter.... im just careful... my 50mm is over 2 years old and is still like it was when it was new... and i beat the crap out of it....
                    haha I use it just for protection so the main lens dont scratch up. Well I use for most of my lenses. But yea sometimes it does get some reflections I have noticed but I adjust to my jdm angle and it works fine lolz. Also I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 and it has worked beautifully so far.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

believe it or not these lenses will take more then people would expect....

The Chronicles.

Comment

but when they take a dump, they take a dump big time. Some of the photos of busted 50's are crazy. I have the 1.8, and i love it.

1999 Honda Prelude
                        Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                          get a Canon 1.8. If you can afford the 1.4, do that

A nifty will FORCE you to learn how to compose much better and position yourself for better shooting. It's definitely sharp, but under low light conditions, it SUCKS for focusing. It hunts way too much.
                          It does give some wicked depth of field effects though!! lol
                          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
                            but when they take a dump, they take a dump big time. Some of the photos of busted 50's are crazy. I have the 1.8, and i love it.
                            this is true but when they do break they are like 70 bucks new to replace....

The Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                            X