X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Originally posted by HondaFan81
    I have a few questions about your setup. First, I give you props and you seem like you have a nice approach to your project, seem very knowledgeable and good DIY'er.

Anyhow...

1) 450 cc/min injectors large enough for your application? What fuel pressure you at to sustain enough fuel?

2) Are your injectors holding you back from making more power? With more fuel (assuming you're not getting enough), could you potentially run hotter plugs, since you're running 8 series now?

3) Exedy stage 1 clutch seems like it would wear out prematurely for your setup. Sure it'd work fine when new, but I'm worried about durability. Mileage accumulated on it so far? Typically what type of driving do you do?

4) You plan to up-size your exhaust system as you increase exhaust flow performance?

Side thought: Well, I realize you're on a new stock block, perhaps that is why you are not pushing as much boost now to keep it reliable, but still has me wondering if 450 cc/min injectors are enough with stock-like fuel pressures. But perhaps you increased your pressure significantly, I'm just not a fan of going past 55 psi.
    Thanks I appreciate hearing that coming from you
    I've always been keen to try new things myself, and hey, why pay someone else to do something you can learn to do yourself?
    "If at first you don't suceed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end."
    Plus I'm a Kiwi

1) I'm running OEM pressure on OEM regulator. I'm currently at 85% duty cycle at 9psi. So they are within limits.

2) I wouldn't say the injectors are holding me back from power, More-so holding me back from making power safely.
    I'm running #8 sparkplugs, due to previous problems with detonation, These plugs mean that I can run a leaner mixture and more timing.
    I have a set of #7's on hand which I havn't used yet, if I decide to go to a hotter plug.
    Also of note, The car is tuned for 98 gas, If I use 95 I get slight detonation.

3) Yes when I purchased the Exedy stage one clutch I was a bit uncomfortable as to it's power capabilities. I emailed the shop 3 times to check, double check and triple check that it could handle what my final goal was - 300hp/300tq.
    So far It has held up fine, feels as good as when I first put it in, and I havn't had any issues with slippage (which admittidly does suprise me for a stage 1)

4) I actually hadn't planned on upping the exhaust size, Though now that you mention it, maybe I should - I'll look into that further

Personally I like the OEM Honda FPR, I've been told by several people that it works like any other rising rate FPR when boost comes on.
    As I said above, the injectors are close to maxxed out (I don't want to put them past 90% duty) and I will be upgrading them to 550cc's over the winter.
    And yes the whole purpose of this build was to ultimatly be a reliable car that can be Daily Driven - Thus the low boost of 10psi on stock internals.
    After this winter I'm planning on running 14psi daily driven, and wanting to keep it running on the same engine untill I sell the car

Leave a comment:

• HondaFan81
    replied
    I have a few questions about your setup. First, I give you props and you seem like you have a nice approach to your project, seem very knowledgeable and good DIY'er.

Anyhow...

1) 450 cc/min injectors large enough for your application? What fuel pressure you at to sustain enough fuel?

2) Are your injectors holding you back from making more power? With more fuel (assuming you're not getting enough), could you potentially run hotter plugs, since you're running 8 series now?

3) Exedy stage 1 clutch seems like it would wear out prematurely for your setup. Sure it'd work fine when new, but I'm worried about durability. Mileage accumulated on it so far? Typically what type of driving do you do?

4) You plan to up-size your exhaust system as you increase exhaust flow performance?

Side thought: Well, I realize you're on a new stock block, perhaps that is why you are not pushing as much boost now to keep it reliable, but still has me wondering if 450 cc/min injectors are enough with stock-like fuel pressures. But perhaps you increased your pressure significantly, I'm just not a fan of going past 55 psi.
    Last edited by HondaFan81; 04-17-2008, 10:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    New addition to the CB, just got my new shocks today, and fitted them tonight
    Wound them down to the lowest setting, and they sit at the same level as my old Jamex superlows, They are alot stiffer ride than before and it handles waaay better
    Also started porting my spare head - so far 2 exhaust ports completed.

Leave a comment:

• Boost_Lee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Originally posted by timmy0tool
    wow congrats on the build man. i'm loving it!
    Thanks man

The car is going to be put back in the garage over winter.
    Hopefully by summer I will have gotten the headwork done that I've been wanting to do for so long.

Leave a comment:

• timmy0tool
    replied
    wow congrats on the build man. i'm loving it!

Leave a comment:

• quickangel93
    replied
    right hand drive ftw!!

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Currently at 10-10.5 psi now, Just got a bit more tuning to do tommorow.

Scrapped my rear Sony components, and bought a set of Fusion components, they were on special cheap as, so I couldn't say no.
    I was a little concerned on the actual quality since they were so cheap, but I have heard their subs before and they diddn't dissappoint me.
    After putting them in and having a listen, they actually sound very warm, and can be driven fairly hard even with no HP filter without distorting.

As far as upcoming plans go:
    Still have to finish my boot setup
    Putting another 4-6 coats of clear on the paint, so I can try get some more shine out of the paint again.
    Get to a dyno!!!
    And hopefully get some vids

Dont have many interior pics in here so thought I'd throw this in too.

Leave a comment:

• d112crzy
    replied
    What are they gapped at? You might have to try a bigger gap with those.

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Originally posted by d112crzy
    Well, at least it's tuned for lower psi, lol. You'll just have to tune for 11 psi now.
    Yea I turned the boost controller down to 7psi for now, until the weekend so I can retune to bring it back up to 9.

Hey 11psi . . . don't tempt me . . . Hmmm maybe

Appreciate the help Jose, and I'll get those pics this weekend. I looked at the #8 plugs yesterday, and they appear to be running rich or cold - I'm not sure which yet.
    But I figured its a waste of time trying to work it out anyway, until I retune again

Leave a comment:

• d112crzy
    replied
    Well, at least it's tuned for lower psi, lol. You'll just have to tune for 11 psi now.

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Originally posted by hoonda83
    neat ride brother... wish i had the $$$ to do it to mine but too bad mines an A/T anyways... keep up the good work.. LOOKS GREAT
    Thanks man
    Get the research done, and you can do anything

Updates: I've done around 6000kms on the setup now.
    Had a little mishap, which I'll share with you guys cause I know you want a laugh

Fitted new exhaust a few months ago, and In the last couple of weeks the car has been playing up - Rough idle and then I fitted a set of #8 NGK race plugs and the boost dropped 3psi (6psi). I was like wtf

Drove it the next day thinking it was just high IAT's, but first drive in the morning to work netted 10 psi, then gradually dropped by the time I got to work to 6psi again.
    After a couple of days driving like this I decided that the cause of the problem was a boost leak - I checked all the silicon joiners - All OK

I left It another couple of days , By now I was convinced it was a boost leak.
    I checked everything and FINALLY found the leak . . . The turbo compressor outlet flange had a 8mm gap around it . . . so I bolted it back down tight and went for a drive - 2nd gear 3/4 throttle made over 11psi (hit boost cut)

It turns out that when I originally tuned for the new exhaust, I some how forgot to fully tighten the compressor outlet flange, so I basically tuned the car to accomodate for the boost leak

Means I have to retune again, now . . .

Leave a comment:

• hoonda83
    replied
    neat ride brother... wish i had the $$$ to do it to mine but too bad mines an A/T anyways... keep up the good work.. LOOKS GREAT

Leave a comment:

• evil_demon_01
    replied
    Currently, deciding weather or not to up the boost from 9 to 12psi. I like the fact that 9 seems conservative, But I'm wondering how much extra stress will be created at 12psi, and if its going to shorten the engines life dramatically

Cars back in the garage now, so I've been doing some wetsanding/buffing on the paint when ever I get some free time.

Just a pic of some NZ scenery in my hometown that I took a few weeks back and forgot to post up. Enjoy (Yes that is gravel roads . . . 15kms worth just to get that pic haha)
    That is the inlet to the Kaipara harbour, The biggest harbour in the southern hemisphere apparantly. Its known as the graveyard . . .

Last edited by evil_demon_01; 02-22-2008, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KeeleDesign
    replied
    i use the iwata lph 400 with the 1.3 tip for my sealer solid colors and the clear. and the Satajet 2000 for the metalics and pearls.
    but yeah those small airbrush guns are what i'm talking about. they work great for rims.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X