Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darkfusion42
    replied
    Wow bro. Pillars look killer. Now I can't even look at mine lol.

Leave a comment:

• ONEKLEAN91
    replied
    pillars look great i just got mine re-done

Leave a comment:

• SilverShadow
    replied
    At first i thought after posting, nah why did I ask such a newbie type question? But I really appreciate you taking your time to show us. ( the typos shows you were eager to give us your help.. fast ..LOL) I have never done work like this, but know I can. I just don't know the proper steps and most of all Any of the products to use. Guess it doesn't take a genius to ask them in the auto store for them after your help. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Nurega
    replied
    Thank you for the detailed step-by-step. It'll be my first time polishing.

Leave a comment:

• pninja82
    replied
    Damn those pillars came out fabulous! Your whole ride is as clean as can be.Your work is inspiring indeed.I love that polished look you got going on inside and out.

Leave a comment:

• TypeG
    replied
    Originally posted by Nurega View Post
    My jaw just dropped to the floor. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult would you rate this project? The finished product looks amazing!
    It's definitely something I'd like to do on my car, as long as the weatherstripping doesn't throw fits.
    Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
    I really need to do this and wondered
    1.How do they come off
    2.What paint remover and paint did you use
    3.I know hair spray wasn't in that bottle..water?
    4.What grit? pix shows 2000
    5.What rubbing compound

Guess mostly I would like to know how they are removed.
    scale of 1-10? i'd say it's a 4 maybe? not hard, just time consuming really.

the weather stripping is glued to the cover and wasn't meant to come off, so i'd leave it on. the reason i took mine if is because i replaced one. i left the others on though.

they are held on with 3 hidden screws. the screws are behind the rubber run channels. see pic below.

one thing you want to do before you start taking screws out is put a piece of tape in the run channel to prevent a screw from falling down into the door panel.

sometimes they pop right off, but other times you have to rock and tug to get them off. i don't know if there's rhyme or reason to it.

then you strip them and paint them, i usually to my coats in three's. primer 3x, base 3x, and clear 3x's. make sure your clear is think enough to be wetsanded without breaking through to the basecoat. you will see color if you do.

i start with 2000g wetsanding. stop often and wipe away the water to check how flat the paint is getting. after you get it flat, switch to 2500g or a really worn out piece of 2000, lol. after you do that, you can start to use a polishing compound. i keep it simple and use mother's scratch remover. use a polishing cloth to buff with.

when you go to put the cover back on, tape the rubber edge on the stainless steel trim so you don't damage the paint.

later.

Leave a comment:

• SilverShadow
    replied
    I really need to do this and wondered
    1.How do they come off
    2.What paint remover and paint did you use
    3.I know hair spray wasn't in that bottle..water?
    4.What grit? pix shows 2000
    5.What rubbing compound

Guess mostly I would like to know how they are removed.
    Last edited by SilverShadow; 04-13-2011, 04:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nurega
    replied
    Originally posted by TypeG View Post
    My jaw just dropped to the floor. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult would you rate this project? The finished product looks amazing!
    It's definitely something I'd like to do on my car, as long as the weatherstripping doesn't throw fits.
    Last edited by Nurega; 04-13-2011, 04:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TypeG
    replied
    put a maplight in. mostly cleaning for the meet.

stripped and repainted the door pillar covers.

wet sanding the paint.

ready to polish with compound.

after polishing compound.

on the car.

discovered that the weather stripping on the pillar covers weren't really meant to be removable or transferable. later.

Leave a comment:

• DaddyO
    replied
    Anything new on the G ride? I can't wait to see it again next weekend. It's been a while. I'm coming out of hiding this summer though.

Leave a comment:

• TypeG
    replied
    Originally posted by rocketman_471 View Post
    How's the ride on the Skunk2 coilovers?
    i think they ride fine. i'd really like to feel the ride on a proper strut like the koni yellow. later.

Leave a comment:

• rocketman_471
    replied
    How's the ride on the Skunk2 coilovers?

Leave a comment:

• Need4speed
    replied
    Bro your cb is really clean man. I got to steep up my game. Good stuff!!

Leave a comment:

• TypeG
    replied
    preciate the comments guys.

replaced the sway bar bushings.

put my CL struts back in since my accord struts blew out. shock oil saturated one of my bump stops, so i had to replace it because the old one basically disintegrated. nice to have unblown shocks back up front

went on the inside and removed some of the metal pieces i had made.

got all the glue off and gave the knobs a quick re-polish.

later.

Leave a comment:

• darkfusion42
    replied
    75 pages lol.

Clean as always

Leave a comment:

Working...
X