• Time
  • Show
Clear All

im gonna have to try this

"Tucking tires and wires."
    The Chronicles.

Comment

Now I need an ITR clock.

Fantastic DIY man. Super thorough and a great idea. I love how it looks professional, with the stock gauges and dashboard buttons, but far better than stock. Great stuff.

Comment

damn i need to take my gauge cluster back out and do those door and gas lights, i did all the lights in the dash. i also need to redo my climate controls, i need to start from scratch tho cuz i fried a circuit on the board by overloading it trying to light up the knobs, i figured it out, but it took f'ing it up to do that.

Member Ride Facebook
        XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
        SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
        For Sale Thread

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode
          Now I need an ITR clock.

I like how you did it red. im gunna have to try this. great diy [cp]mike

Instagram: n_buttz

The Jeepster ____ The CB7 ____ The TE38 ____ The S13

Comment

orange/amber, same as mine

Member Ride Facebook
            SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
            For Sale Thread

Comment

dark_accord wanted me to say this looks like a penis:
              [img]http://www.****.com/pics/diyleds/OTHER/reardefrost_2.jpg[/img]

H22A Vigor
              SR20 Accord

Comment

hahahaha it does

Member Ride Facebook
                SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                For Sale Thread

Comment

ive gotten that comment a few times over the years :P

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

well here is mine cluster!! looks good i just like the hot spots, i wish there was a way to spead the light out even

"Know Your Rank"

Comment

Originally posted by texasvtak
                      I think its a coating on the back of the gauge. Sand it off then polish it back to the same translucency as before.

this is what i was thinking before i got to experiment on some gauges.

Originally posted by cp[mike
                      ] yes there is a blue coating on the back of the gauges, but theres a coating on top of that. its painted over the blue, on the backs of the numbers in various transparencies based on distance from the bulbs, used to make them all light up evenly. itd make it look funky if you use a bulb or LED bulb, bright spots on the sides...
                      pretty much on the button.

here's a few pics of the layers:

later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

so are u saying if i sand the back of the number alittle it will be a little brighter and even
                        "Know Your Rank"

Comment

Originally posted by 93Lx
                          so are u saying if i sand the back of the number alittle it will be a little brighter and even
                          no, it would probably look wierd like mike said. i was just seeing if the blue/green filter was removable and i saw that it was not. later.
                          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

ooooooh ok got ya
                            "Know Your Rank"

Comment

Thanks for the info, I learned much from this DIY years ago. I've done a few conversions since then and wanted to share some things I learned in addition to the info here:

For single LEDs, it's better to use 1/2 watt (larger) resistors so they don't work too hard and get too hot. LEDs crap out when they get hot.

For the buttons, splice, solder and heat shrink the resistors into the wiring harness (car side), instead of having to solder it to the button's chip. For heat considerations, a cleaner install, and less headache fitting things inside the buttons (especially larger resistors).

I know why the defroster won't work after the LED is in the indicator, it became obvious to me after staring at wiring diagrams for way too long....The signal that turns on the defroster goes thru the light first, and it wants to see 12v, not 3 something. You can wire a relay into the wiring for the outgoing DEF signal that will trigger with low voltage, and send 12v out.

I sanded the printing off my climate control knob panel, polished it back to transparent using type-G's plastic method, and used actual window tint to get the clean black look for my climate control.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                              After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                              Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                              PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Thanks! I converted my whole dash!

I want to add that sanding the top of the LED flat and the sides till they are fogged a bit will distribuite the light better than not sanding them.

Thats how I did the floor lighting! its just 5 LEDs on each side, sanded to distibrute the light.

Comment

Working...
                                X