EXT: Corner lens blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Corner lens blackout

ACHTUNG: Read instructions completely before proceeding with your blackout corner lenses.

Items needed:

1 pair CB or CC corner lenses
    1 roll masking tape
    1 rattle can of paint
    1 philips head screwdriver
    1 flathead screwdriver
    1 tube silicon sealant

Caveat: I am not responsible if you break your lenses. Use common sense and your better judgement while doing this. If you kill your corner lens, you'll have to live with it until you get another set off of Ebay for $1.

For this I used a spare passenger side CB lens that I had laying around that was damaged from striking a coyote in 2003, and I used RED just to clearly show the blacked out areas.

1: Remove corner lenses. How you may ask? Easily: remove small philips head screw from top of lens and pull lens straight toward the front of the vehicle. If it is the first time the lens has been removed, it may take a bit of effort. Don't be afraid to break two thin plastic pegs at the back of the lens, as they won't feel a thing.

You should have something that looks like this:

2: Seperate the lens. BE CAREFUL doing this. remove the black plastic weatherstripping from the lens; the method of removing it is at your discretion. Keep in mind the lens from your CB or CC is most likely anywhere from 12 to 16 years old, and is most likely brittle around the edges. Use a flathead screwdriver and carefully pry around the edges until the lens cover seperates from the amber reflector and chrome backing. Once you have it seperated, use a philips screwdriver on the back to take out a small screw that hold the amber reflector to the chrome backing.

You should have something that now resembles this:

3: Paint that bad boy. Mask off the edges where the silicon sealant adheres and on the actual light reflecting surfaces of the lens for the 194 wedge bulbs. Use fresh masking tape, not duct tape like I did. Once you have it masked, its time to paint. Shake your rattle can of color of your choice thoroughly and spray in even sweeps past the item you're spraying. Most will choose to use a semi-gloss black whereas I used bright red for ease of visibility.

If you can follow instructions, you should have had your lens look like this and this:

4: Let dry and remove tape. I let this lens dry for about 3 hours and carefully removed the tape. When removing your tape be sure not to carelessly rip it off in great haste, as it may remove the chrome you were trying to protect. Take your time removing the masking tape.

Your result should like mostly like this:

5: Putting it back together: Just like the title would suggest, its time to put it back together. Reassembly is the opposite of disassembly as far as the amber reflector goes. To readhere the clear lens cover over the reassembled amber reflector and the freshly painted chrome backing plate, carefully put 1/8" bead of silicon sealant all the way around the contact surface of the chrome plate where the lens will contact. Use clamps or rubber bands or books or whatever it takes to apply steady pressure to allow the sealant to dry, usually overnight.

Your reassembled corner lens should look something like this:

6: The finished product. Put your sealed lens back on your vehicle. Its the same as taking it off, but just the opposite. Be sure to plug in your lights and put the tiny philips screw back in.

You finished product should look like this: (without the painters tape to hold it in place that is, and hopefully your bumper isn't scratched either)

Lights off:

Lights on:

Again: please use your common sense and don't blow yourself up doing this. Spray in a well ventilated area, don't stick yourself with a rusty screwdriver separating the lenses, and don't scratch up your car trying to get your corner lenses off for the first time.

DO NOT try to seperate the lenses using an oven such as with a headlight blackout DIY, as all you will successfully do is melt the lenses.

Enjoy your new blacked or blued or greened or whatever color you choose lenses.
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Taking apart the lenses is the hard part. I have a clear corner sitting on my desk whose bottom edge is craaaaaaaaaaacked..
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

Comment

great DIY. does anyone have a pic of a blackhoused amber corner?

1991 Accord LX

Comment

the easiest way to take lenses apart is to use a razor blade and heat it up with a lighter and go around the edges
        Super Sonic Blue Pearl CB7 Coupe

My old frost white CB7

Comment

Originally posted by 91LXcb7
          the easiest way to take lenses apart is to use a razor blade and heat it up with a lighter and go around the edges

Get a heat gun , and a blade from the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn.
            does anyone have a pic of a blackhoused amber corner?
            bump for a pic^^
            -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
            -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn.
              great DIY. does anyone have a pic of a blackhoused amber corner?
              ^^^ Bump for a pic aswell
              R.I.P. Landon Hilburn 06-27-08

Soon to enter the family.
              CG Coupe!

92 Accord EX Sedan (Newest project)

Members ride thread 92 EX Sedan
              Members ride thread old 91 LX Coupe

Comment

just buy them 20 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_ricky302
                  just buy them 20 bucks
                  Not the same.
                  To-Do List for Today
                  Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_ricky302
                    just buy them 20 bucks
                    Negative...

^^^ Please "Like" & Follow!^^^

IG - @WerdWerx

1990 Accord EX Coupe - Click Here

Comment

bumping for the black-housed

Comment

i want to black house my ehadlights but i like my corners to match, i want to black house the corners like you did...but not red...heheh.

i have a good ass heatgun at work, will that work and just pry it? is it more easier and wont crack the plastic cause its soo hot?
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

bump for a pic of black housed amber corners....i believe this would look great but no one has posted a pic..i'm sure there are some out there..now we are calling you out
                          -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                          -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                          -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                          -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Thats what it looks like Black housing with amber and clear corners.

Clear:

Amber( without the reflective plastic part):

My Black Housed Bumper signal:

http://public.fotki.com/accordexr/black_housing/
                            Last edited by FrostWhite_EXR; 01-03-2006, 03:44 AM.

Comment

looks dooope in the clear corners and bumper sigals especially
                              rollin on em twankiez

Comment

Working...
                              X