Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: paint your door and bumper moldings

materials:
    Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric or Plasti-Kote Vinyl Color (the two are nearly identical)
    Bulldog adhesion promoter
    rubbing alcohol or Prepsol
    assorted sand paper 400g or 600g

*note: this type of paint prep is only relevent to vinyl/plastic

i started by wiping the trim with rubbing alcohol. this removes grease, wax, and most silicones. if you have any of those on your trim, it will repel the paint and you will have defects such as ''fish eyes'' and ''orange peel''.

then i sanded with 600g sandpaper. the sanding gives the paint something to bite into. you want the scuffing to look as uniform as possible.

then, i went back over it again with the rubbing alcohol for further cleaning of contaminates and dust removal.

now comes the 1st coat of Bulldog adhesion promoter. this stuff helps paint stick to things like plastic and vinyl or anything that paint doesn't like to stick to. i've always sprayed a light mist when using this product because you don't want to heavy of a coat.

you can spray the vinyl paint right over the Bulldog without sanding. for the vinyl paint i applied 3 coats per piece. you can re-coat every 5 mins or so because it drys very fast.

the reasons i chose the vinyl paint is because of its characteristics.
    - single stage paint that doesn't need a clear coat (but you can if you want).
    - responds well to polishes and wax (wait about a month).
    - it touches up the best out of any other type of paint i've used. unless you damaged the trim with a deep scratch, you can't tell it was touched up.
    - it's pretty durable.
    - fast drying
    - and finally it was made for vinyl/plastic/rubber, which s what the trims are made from.

here are some pics of what gloss black looks like:

i'll take more pics of it in the sun. later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 06-15-2008, 11:56 PM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

hey nice DIY! ur the man! haha so do u think my arcadia green spray can paint will work?? its not made for this stuff specificallt but i have the bulldog adhesion promotor so it should help right?

also can this be done with the trim on the car or is it best to remove??

8 Accords so far:
    '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
    '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
    (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Originally posted by F22Cb7Rid3r
      hey nice DIY! ur the man! haha so do u think my arcadia green spray can paint will work?? its not made for this stuff specificallt but i have the bulldog adhesion promotor so it should help right?

also can this be done with the trim on the car or is it best to remove??
      you can remove the side skirts and front lip with ease. i wouldn't remove the door molding because you will probably bend them up pretty bad. they have double sided tape and plastic clips securing them.

your paint will probably do fine. i'd be concerned with how close the color of your paint is vs the color of your car. later.

Comment

1) Does the vinyl paint come in flat black / grey?

2) Would you advise painting the mouldings while on the car?

3) I assume this can be done to INT vinyl / plastic / rubber pieces as well??

4) Total cost?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
          1) Does the vinyl paint come in flat black / grey?

2) Would you advise painting the mouldings while on the car?

3) I assume this can be done to INT vinyl / plastic / rubber pieces as well??

4) Total cost?
          1) it comes in a large variety of colors, i for sure recall flat black.

2) i would advise painting the door moldings on the car and masking off a large area around the moldings. i would however recomend removing the side skirts and front lip. the reason i had my moldings off in the pics is because they are new. when i took the old ones off, they bent pretty bad.

3) yes it can be done on the inside and most people use this same method and paint when they do. the only reason i don't like painting anything on the inside is the wear the paint sees. if you don't mind touch-ups go for it. it will scratch. it's also for fabric, but i couldn't tell you how it might change it's texture.

4) 3-4 cans will get all the trim and maybe the wheel wells if you fancy. plus sandpaper and adhesion promoter, i'd say about $30. later.

Comment

Sweet!

Thanks.

I would think the EXT would wear/scratch easier or faster than the INT pieces though...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
            Originally posted by Jarrett
            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

wow, very nice
              looks like something i might want to try
              but i think i also have to replace some of my moldings because they are really messed up

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204494

Comment

I definitely need to do this. Thanks!

1999 BMW M3
                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

nice wright up. very easy to understand. peace
                  "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

nice write up i did mine to color match.
                    Freedom Is Not Free
                    U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

how much taht cost for the color match? AKA the paint.
                      My Member's Ride Page (Do it)

Comment

Originally posted by benjerman112
                        nice write up i did mine to color match.
                        wow, so nice!
                        how long did it take you?

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204494

Comment

if you wanted to do the front and back, would you jusst mask it on the car, and the side ones too, just mask it on the car?, and my mouldings arent vinyl and stuff, i have and se so the mouldings are different, can i just use regular car paint for that?

enV this!!!!

member ride thing

myspace

93accordSE video!

Comment

Originally posted by enVmeACCORDngly
                            if you wanted to do the front and back, would you jusst mask it on the car, and the side ones too, just mask it on the car?
                            yes since the trim on the bumpers isn't removable, i would mask it while on the car. i would remove the front lip and side skits however.

Originally posted by enVmeACCORDngly
                            and my mouldings arent vinyl and stuff, i have and se so the mouldings are different, can i just use regular car paint for that?
                            they're not plastic? what are they made of? i don't see a problem with using the type of paint i used above or real car paint. later.

Comment

Nice im doing this One day

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Working...
                              X