ENG: F22 Spark Plug Tube Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrhonda
    If you buy a used one definately take it in to have it recalibrated to make sure its still acurate.
    This is a great write up by all who contributed. Question - where does one go to get a torque wrench recalibrated?

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
      Setting it to TDC has nothing to do with the seal replacement, its just the first step when adjusting the valves. And trust me, you better adjust the valves after you replace the seals and torque those rockershafts down otherwise the valves will be WAY too tight and this can cause a rough idle and worst case burn a valve.

Just buy yourself a service manual, it will tell you everything you need to know.
      1. But basically valve adjustment and setting the piston to TDC always have to be done when the seals are replaced. So they're all related for this project right?

2. How much did you guys pay for torque wrenches...how necessary are they...if they are expensive like mentioned above couldn't i just rent them...what other projects would i need them for?

3. does anyone have an answer to the recalibration questions?

4. are there any parts missing from the part list besides the feeler gauges?

5. i have the 91 accord lx honda service manual....do you know what section or page number the tube replacement is in....i cant find it anywhere....ive only found one page dealing with spark plugs and it doesnt say anything helpful

thx everyone for the input on this especially mrhonda; i'll attempt this real soon
      Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
      Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

also....what are the prices for your felpro set? definetely not 16 dollars around here (autozone was selling them around 34 bucks)....cheapest i found was 28.05.....if you found a place for cheap please reply
        Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
        Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

Yes, you do need a torque wrench for this, mainly for all the rocker shaft bolts. As far as cost.....hard to say, I have all Snap-On stuff but its been so long I don't remember what I paid for any of it. I would just go to Sears and buy a Craftsman, you will use it more than once, just be sure to get a 1/4" drive. As far as calibration....not really sure, Sears might do them.

Like I sad before, setting the engine to TDC is not necessary for the seal replacement part, its for adjusting the valves. Just remember to spin the engine around a couple times after you torque the shfts down but before you set it to TDC and adjust the valves.
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

I used a cheap korean made torque wrench. The lowest setting is 10 ft pounds. So I torqued all the smaller 9 ft lb bolts at 10. No big difference, as long as it's consistant. So its been almost 2 months, and no more oil in the holes. Just remember to coat the O rings with oil, just like you coat the oil filter seal with oil. Never use anything else on O rings, cause it's not the same thing as a gasket.

My swap thread
            Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

This is kind of off-topic, but I read what that guy from Taiwan wrote, and although it's not in perfect english it does make sense. It obviously didn't translate exactly right but I was able to understand what he was saying. In short, he was discussing how to identify and what the effects are of using "hotter" or "colder" spark plugs. Just gotta use your brain a little, people

Comment

I am going to have to replace my lower seals soon as well.

Is it nessecary to adjust your valves after you replace your seals?

Seems to me- and i may be wrong- that since you arent messing with the valves or the adjustment nuts when you are removing the rocker assembly, that you need not adjust the valves when you reassemble everything.

Can anyone provide insight to this, because I sure do hate valve adjustments. Thanks guys.

Also, how long does this take? 1 hour, half a day, or what so I know how long i need to set aside for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigt61
                  I am going to have to replace my lower seals soon as well.

Is it nessecary to adjust your valves after you replace your seals?

Seems to me- and i may be wrong- that since you arent messing with the valves or the adjustment nuts when you are removing the rocker assembly, that you need not adjust the valves when you reassemble everything.

Can anyone provide insight to this, because I sure do hate valve adjustments. Thanks guys.

Also, how long does this take? 1 hour, half a day, or what so I know how long i need to set aside for it.
                  Valve adjustment is recomended....

As far as time, it depends on skill level I guess. I can replace the lower seals, adjust the valves, and have it all put back together and running in about 15 minutes.....but then again, I've been doing this for years.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

hey mrhonda...check ur PM's

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                    11.68 @ 127mph
                    417whp/375wtq
                    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                      Also, I recommend putting some Hondabond or similar silicone product on cylinder # 2 O-ring for a better seal because that oil passageway is next to it. After doing this job, a few weeks later (I drive about 600 miles a week), I checked the spark plug tubes again for kicks. I found cylinder # 2 with small amount of oil in it already. So I am forewarning you all, seal it better like I mentioned above if you want it done right. This was the first time I've done this, so I didn't know, but I am recommending this tip to you now that I learned.
                      4CYLPOWER92 says to just use oil.

What kind of seal did you guys use? Did you guys pick up HONDA bond at the dealer? or checkers?

I am unsure of what to COAT THE LOWER SEALS with. Some say use honda bond, some say use OIL.

Any ideas or suggestions?
                      hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by FishyMan
                        4CYLPOWER92 says to just use oil.

What kind of seal did you guys use? Did you guys pick up HONDA bond at the dealer? or checkers?

I am unsure of what to COAT THE LOWER SEALS with. Some say use honda bond, some say use OIL.

Any ideas or suggestions?
                        I was going by what mrhonda and I did when we did my seals in May 04. Hondabond was from Honda.
                        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

How long does this take? I've never taken off a rocker arm, installed a cam, or anthing "inside" of the engine. I have removed the valve cover can do in 5min.

HOW LONG? I need to know before I jump into it and cannot finish. Thanks alot!

- Zipcreature
                          Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

B U M P for a time estimate.

- Zipcreature
                            Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

for the unexperienced person with tools, i say 3 -5 hrs max jus to be safe. Honestly I think that it can be done in 2 np.

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                              11.68 @ 127mph
                              417whp/375wtq
                              Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Thank you 91accordexr33!

- Zipcreature
                                Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X