ENG: F22 Spark Plug Tube Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishyMan
    /?? come one peeps.. help a fellow noob outs..
    sure im on the next flight to Hawaii

Comment

This is a good writeup^ Here are some diagrams for the removal and install sequence of the camshaft holder bolts:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by arctichonda; 11-22-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Installation:
        Be sure to make note of which bolts get torqued to what value or you could snap a bolt off in the cyl. head.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by arctichonda; 04-26-2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I've done this twice, and it is fun and a PITA all in one

The pain is getting those intake rockers, exhaust are right there in your face.

Mine were very loose on my 93 ex, but after the adjustment I got a nice increase in power. Of course my fuel economy has lowered some with it.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Would you guys say this was easy to do? I'm pretty much tuned up everything in my car except the lower tube seals and the valve adjustment. I'm hesitant to attempt it

Comment

Do you have to remove the TIMING BELT?

I'm about to change my seals along with my dizzy/cap/rotor/plugs as well. I was thinking since I'm gonna have the valve cover open to go ahead and throw in an A6 cam while I'm at it.

My question is, if I'm just doing the seals, does removing the rocker assembly mean I have to undo the TIMING BELT?

If I'm changing the cam out, do I have to undo the TIMING BELT?

Do I have to undo the timing belt whether or not I am changing out the cam either way?
              My Ride (Click here)

Comment

the rocker arms does not need the timing belt taken off, but I imagine the camshaft would. I did my lower seals and never had to take off the timing belt.

Comment

did not remove the timing belt when did mine.....i suggest also adjusting the valves.
                  My Members Ride Thread

Comment

okay I'm about to do my lower tube seals, b/c they're leaking pretty bad every time I start the car it sounds like a WRX subaru. So, I got the lower tube seals from Honda today, but do I also need O-rings for the bottom? or is O-rings another way of saying tube seals? I'm kinda confused.

So I asked for LOWER tube seals and the guy at the Honda part's counter gave me these:

Are these the lower tube seals? or the upper ones?
                    Last edited by Losiracer2; 04-18-2008, 06:29 PM.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

those are uppers

lowers are basically just o-rings

parts counter guys always eff shit up like this

Comment

i need some assistance here.

today, i happened to pull one of the spark plug wires, to find it covered in oil. So i tried the next one, same deal. In fact, all 4 tubes had oil in them. What should i do? If i take it to the shop and explain the deal, what do you think they'll want to replace/how much. n00b question, i know.

Comment

well you came to the right thread. Replace your lower tube seals

Comment

bump for a great diy.......just replaced mine today and went fantastic. It only took me about an hour and a half but i am by no means mechanically inclined. Interesting thing though. When i got to the lower tube seals i had come to realize........THERE WAS NONE THERE!!!! IN ANY OF THEM!!! It just completely blew my mind that there were no seals there at all lol. I think they had just gotten so bad they detoriated. Anywayz just thought this was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischhorn View Post
                              bump for a great diy.......just replaced mine today and went fantastic.
                              Sweet deal. I'm glad so many have come to benefit from this DIY.
                              Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                              2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                              2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                              2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Also wanted to add, great DIY!

Even though i have the Haynes and the factory helm Manuel, this write up was able to fill on some of the blanks for me.

The only problems i ran into were.

Timing belt did not want to turn - I had the car in gear (stupid me)

I could not figure out how to move the timing belt- Drive Pulley with a 19MM

The rocker arms did not want to come out- I had to make sure all the bolts were loose enough and even then it was still tough.

It took me a while to get the hang of the feeler gage. Hopefully i did it right, my car sounds good but we will see.

Anyway those are the only things i could think of that could hold someone up.

Once again, props for the write up.

Jesse

Comment

Working...
                                X