ENG: F22 Spark Plug Tube Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont wanan mess w/ too much stuff. i haven't even gotten my hyanes manual

if u could though, please take some pics of the cam part. i think its the SIMPLEST and best way in this situation, if u can that is.

just need to really see where it is that i need to hold, while i remove, and where it is that i need to tighten till i put rocker back on..

thanks
    hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92
      Is is really neccessary to have someone else hold the cam down on the transaxle side? Or could I do this myself with my left hand, while removing the assembly with my right?
      no no no no....who said anything about holding the cam? Its not gonna move trust me. Just loosen the bolts but don't take them out, pry the rockershaft assembly until it pops up then remove it. Don't mess with the belt tension or anything, it does not affect the cam whatsoever.
      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
        no no no no....who said anything about holding the cam? Its not gonna move trust me. Just loosen the bolts but don't take them out, pry the rockershaft assembly until it pops up then remove it. Don't mess with the belt tension or anything, it does not affect the cam whatsoever.
        Sweet. Well it says that in the hayes manual....a manual that I have found several mistakes in BTW. But I still find it helpfull, as well as chilton. But helms is the bible....it just doesn't go into a lot of detail sometimes. And the real pictures in hayes is very helpful.

My swap thread
        Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

well 4cycl power 92, let me know ur the guinea pig :P ...
          hahahahah

Comment

Yeah, those manuals suck, guess I've been spoiled exclusively using Honda manuals. The only way the cam will move is if you try to turn the engine over when the rocker shafts are off. As long as you don't spin the motor, it won't move. Matter of fact, I did 3 sets of rocker shaft seals today, 91 Accord, 92 Accord, and a 96 Accord. I should have taken pics, maybe I'll think to next time.
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by FishyMan
              well 4cycl power 92, let me know ur the guinea pig :P ...
              Alrighty, I got it done today. It was a piece of cake for the most part. I just hate adjusting the exhaust valves though. Leaning all the way over the car while trying to get my fingers with the feeler gauge in that space is no fun at all.

Like Mrhonda said, the cam shaft does not move up (maybe just a little).
              A little detail not mentioned in any manual though, is that you have to remove the top bolt that holds the distibuter. I took my distibutor off anyways, in order to change its O ring. The darn thing was leaking oil all over everything below, including 2 electrical connections (I think the temp sending unit and fan switch).

The O rings under the rocker assembly were very hard and brittle.....definately shot.

After re-adjusting the timming, my car ran great. I'll have to check for any oil leaks tomarrow. *crossing my fingers*

My swap thread

Comment

thanks... when i have enough and what not ill do it, mostly during summer. i just have a hard time getting the funds for the tools to get it,

what else did u change for ur distributor? i might have to do mines too as it has some leaking down to the connectors as well.
                hahahahah

Comment

Well I changed the cap and rotor, but to remove it, all there is is 3 bolts and 2 electrical connectors. Nothin to it.

Yeah, working on cars with insufficiant tools gets extremely frustrating.
                  Buy yourself a package deal from sears or something, and then buy the more specialized tools as you go.
                  Last edited by 4CYLPOWER92; 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM.

My swap thread

Comment

The spark plug makes choice of purchase the most main point of hour in the hot value serial number.General city's selling the serial number that the car often uses most is 5, 6, 7 numbers.Opposite to say, the serial number is more small to call it is'more hot', the serial number is more high to call it is'more cold'.Of so there will be to distinguish analyse so, mainly is because of spark plug in addition to lighting the fire, the end tip porcelain and ceramics part still is responsible for the function that spreads the heat, the more cold spark plug porcelain and ceramics part is thinner, spreading the hot function better;More hot spark plug, the porcelain and ceramics part is thicker, spreading the heat to differ a little bit some.The differentiation lies in, if car owner's driver is over-emphasized in habitually low turn soon, the downtown drives for the lord, then the fit usage compares hot serial number, for example say the cr-v to is a No.5 out the serial number that the factory uses.If car owner the fancy is high to turn to drive soon, or the engine burden is more heavy, then should make choice of purchase the cooler spark plug, for example 6 numbers even are No.7s.That is to say the hotter engine needs to compare the cooler spark plug help to spread the heat.So depend on personal driver to choose the hot value serial number of the spark plug habitually very important.

That choose the wrong serial number to have again what influence?Choose to the oneself the driver the habit and talked the cold spark plug, at morning start the vehicle will relatively allow of no easily and the engine accumulates the carbon easily, furthermore because the cooler spark plug is usually also more expensive, so the money is also a kind of waste.Chose to lead the hot spark plug, spread the heat and there will be the bad influence to the engine, to the dynamical exportation also more disadvantageous.

Everyone's hasing the chance is able to dismantle the spark plug to see the engine condition.List hot value serial number whether exactitude to the words that say, if the part of the spark plug electrode has already accumulated the carbon to remain, indicating the spark plug that use currently over cold, should choose again low and some serial numberses, for example the 6 numberses make changes in 5 numbers.If
                    Last edited by 葉建志; 05-18-2005, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 葉建志
                      The spark plug makes choice of purchase the most main point of hour in the hot value serial number.General city's selling the serial number that the car often uses most is 5, 6, 7 numbers.Opposite to say, the serial number is more small to call it is'more hot', the serial number is more high to call it is'more cold'.Of so there will be to distinguish analyse so, mainly is because of spark plug in addition to lighting the fire, the end tip porcelain and ceramics part still is responsible for the function that spreads the heat, the more cold spark plug porcelain and ceramics part is thinner, spreading the hot function better;More hot spark plug, the porcelain and ceramics part is thicker, spreading the heat to differ a little bit some.The differentiation lies in, if car owner's driver is over-emphasized in habitually low turn soon, the downtown drives for the lord, then the fit usage compares hot serial number, for example say the cr-v to is a No.5 out the serial number that the factory uses.If car owner the fancy is high to turn to drive soon, or the engine burden is more heavy, then should make choice of purchase the cooler spark plug, for example 6 numbers even are No.7s.That is to say the hotter engine needs to compare the cooler spark plug help to spread the heat.So depend on personal driver to choose the hot value serial number of the spark plug habitually very important.

That choose the wrong serial number to have again what influence?Choose to the oneself the driver the habit and talked the cold spark plug, at morning start the vehicle will relatively allow of no easily and the engine accumulates the carbon easily, furthermore because the cooler spark plug is usually also more expensive, so the money is also a kind of waste.Chose to lead the hot spark plug, spread the heat and there will be the bad influence to the engine, to the dynamical exportation also more disadvantageous.

Everyone's hasing the chance is able to dismantle the spark plug to see the engine condition.List hot value serial number whether exactitude to the words that say, if the part of the spark plug electrode has already accumulated the carbon to remain, indicating the spark plug that use currently over cold, should choose again low and some serial numberses, for example the 6 numberses make changes in 5 numbers.If

OMG....can someone translate this PLEASE?!!?

I have absolutely NO CLUE what this guy is trying to say!!

On a side note...VERY good write up. I replaced the valve cover gasket, grommet seals, and upper plug seals....and was wondering what the heck the other 4 seals were for! LoL....oh well...I need to replace the lowers as well. Hope I didnt throw them away, or else I'll have to buy new ones again.
                      Last edited by xtremeskier97; 05-18-2005, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
                        OMG....can someone translate this PLEASE?!!?

I have absolutely NO CLUE what this guy is trying to say!!
                        Agreed...dude...simple explinations are more than adequate..most people aren't going to try to decipher a technical write up..or one that is suspose to sound like one...

Comment

LoL...it still amazes me at how much that guy DOESNT make sense!

Comment

Is all that garbage originally posted by that guy from Taiwan necessasry? No.

It'd be great if it was removed by a benevolant mod.
                            Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                            2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                            2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                            2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Seems like he was trying to say why to use the cold running plugs, as opposed to the hot ones......but I think his electronic language translator screwed it up.

My swap thread

Comment

Hi All-

I bought my gasket set a week ago and finally did MOST of the procedure Saturday. I say most, because I didn't realize there were LOWER seals until I opened the package Saturday and started searching here!!!

I dod the cover gasket, and the upper seals, but never tried doing the lowers, as I didn't have any torque wrenches, and I had NO clue about how or where to look for the timing marks and put #1 in TDC.

There musta been a good inch or more in my wells- I couldn't believe how high the oil was on outside of plugs! I cleaned off outside of plugs, and wiped down the wire boots and cleaned what I could there, and threw plugs and wires back in. Car starts easier now, but I will change them AFTER I make sure I got no more leaks. Sounds like I gotta do the lowers though.

Can anyone point out where timing marks are? Last time I did anything like this had to be 20 years ago on an Olds 403 V8.

Thanks
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X