ENG: Alternative Oil Changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Alternative Oil Changing

Heard about this method of changing the engine oil and got skeptic so I decided to go out and try it. The oil change was done on a B18 Integra engine but the concept is the same.

Things I used:
    A fluid extractor (Moeller 4 liters)
    4 quarts of Shell Oil (or any oil of your choice)
    An oil filter wrench (depending on how tight the oil filter is)
    Funnel (not shown)
    And an oil filter

-Remove the engine oil cap from the top of the engine

-Locate the oil dipstick, remove it and insert the tubing provided by the fluid extractor

-My fluid extractor requires pumping to build up the pressure, 15 quick pumps and oil starts to flow out

-Locate and remove the oil filter, mine was easy to access (the blue item as shown below)

-The oil filter was pretty stubborn so I had to whip out the oil filter wrench

-Remove and replace new oil filter. Don't forget to lube the oil filter gasket

-Fill engine with oil

-Enjoy

This is an alternative method of changing an oil vs. the conventional method of removing the oil drain bolt from underneith the car. Reasons why I like this method is that it removes the same amount (if not more) than the conventional method, saves a lot of time and no mess. I was able to do a quick oil change within 8 minutes with my work cloths.

nice write up

indeed, there is no mess with that, but on accord i don't how how you can reach the oil filter from the top so it will make some spills on the back of the block
    Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by blackcb7
      nice write up

indeed, there is no mess with that, but on accord i don't how how you can reach the oil filter from the top so it will make some spills on the back of the block
      Not if you have Yoga arms!

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i think mercedes uses this process to change there oil, seems like a less mess way of doing things

Comment

Dude this is a brilliant idea. I might try this. I went to Mobil today to get my oil changed on my new GSR CRX (B18C1) and they wouldn't change it because the oil pan had a ding on it - first time I took the car for an oil change since I have owned it. In know I need a new oil pan regardless, but I might try this for now.

*Where do you get a fluid extractor?
          Last edited by BlackMagicCB7; 05-17-2007, 12:43 AM.

Comment

We used those in taiwan when I worked there. IMO draining was faster.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

how long did it take.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrayne
                i think mercedes uses this process to change there oil, seems like a less mess way of doing things
                Yes when I worked in Taiwan we serviced mainly mercedes, bimmers, vw, audi, toyota, nissan, and ford. The mercedes and bimmers were the main ones we used this device (ours was electric with a pump) took like 2min or so I think. The reason for this is because mercedes/audi and crap have that big ass shield underneath the car and its a bitch to remove it just to drain the oil. So it is easier to siphon from the top.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

but what about the crap at the bottom of the oil pan? well i know you really should have crap in the oil pan but you'll never know if you have any if you don't drain out the bottom.

besides i sometimes like to pour another quart down just to flush things through.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrayne
                    Yep, Mercedes uses this method. That is basically where I got this from. No mess whatsoever.

Originally posted by BlackMagicCB7
                    Dude this is a brilliant idea. I might try this. I went to Mobil today to get my oil changed on my new GSR CRX (B18C1) and they wouldn't change it because the oil pan had a ding on it - first time I took the car for an oil change since I have owned it. In know I need a new oil pan regardless, but I might try this for now.

*Where do you get a fluid extractor?
                    New oil pan? I'm guessing thats one hell of a ding.

I got mine from this place it was the cheapest I could find. 4 Liters should be fine for most engines.

Originally posted by 93accord-se
                    how long did it take.
                    Took me less then 10 minutes total. That excludes getting the supplies. Waiting for the oil to be extracted took the longest ~3-4 minutes.

Originally posted by Leung
                    but what about the crap at the bottom of the oil pan? well i know you really should have crap in the oil pan but you'll never know if you have any if you don't drain out the bottom.

besides i sometimes like to pour another quart down just to flush things through.
                    This has been compared to changing your oil the conventional way on Mercedes forum. They first drained the old oil out by the bottom drain bolt and closed it up and sucked out any fluids with the fluid extractor. In most cases more oil were able to be extracted. Pouring down an extra bottle of oil is not necessary, the oil traveling from the top to the bottom wouldn't make a huge effect to splash out or move out the sludge/gunk. Its hard to explain but with the piping provided by the fluid extractor you can choose different size pipings and manuver it and try to suck out any bottom gunk.

Best of all the fluid extractor is multipurpose so I could change brake fluid, power steering fluid, clutch fluids, etc.

Comment

oh ok. so where could i get one of these things?

Comment

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

This is a pretty sweet idea, especially since I can't get a jack under my car anymore.

It looks like I'd have issues trying to get that oil filter off though.

Comment

Great idea!

But if your going under to pull the filter might as well pop off the drain bolt and let the crap slide out...

sounds like this would be the perfect setup if you took the drain bolt of as well.

Cuz then there will be no mess since you sucked it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                              This is a pretty sweet idea, especially since I can't get a jack under my car anymore.

It looks like I'd have issues trying to get that oil filter off though.

I was thinking that too. Although, I think if you went in from the pass side and pulled the intake tube, you could probably squeeze in under the IM.
                              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X