No announcement yet.

ENG: Removing Alternator, PS pump, or just tightening belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell. I just spent a few hours trying to get at the alternator, and replace the brushes without removing the alternator. No dice though.

Is there a DIY for removing the power steering pump (which is what I'm calling the thing circled in red below).

Comment

^^^the PS isnt that difficult to remove on the F22...but i checked this DIY once again and realized that Nail did this removal on an H..soooo...isn't it different from the F? Cuz i cant locate them bolts around my alternator on my f22a1..anything? cuz im literally workin' on my cb right now...so quick response peeze

edited....
      just scrolled up...and yeah i'd refer to my manual but my pops lended it to a friend who needed it since 2 days ago..so a quick response is still waiting.
      Last edited by Djmoua; 08-25-2007, 11:26 PM.

*Needs*
      -New shocks
      -Struts
      -Drop
      -Cleaning
      -New Tires/Wheels
      -New Window Tint
      -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

No it all is the same. I am using F22 brackets on my H. So its basically the same. The power steering is the same procedure and easier. Same bolt sizes etc etc. You dont need to disconnect the hoses connected to it when you loosen and pull it off just swing it to the side and you should be able to get to the alternator with ease. Unplugging and taking off the two 10mm bolts of the cruise control will help you gain access. I took mine off since I dont use cruise.

EDIT: Retensioning the belt is the same way. Just make sure the 14, 12 are on first then just turn the 10mm clockwise and it should retension the belt. After you are done adjusting tighten the 12 and 14mm and your set.
        Last edited by NAiL05; 08-25-2007, 11:39 PM.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          No it all is the same. I am using F22 brackets on my H. So its basically the same. The power steering is the same procedure and easier. Same bolt sizes etc etc. You dont need to disconnect the hoses connected to it when you loosen and pull it off just swing it to the side and you should be able to get to the alternator with ease. Unplugging and taking off the two 10mm bolts of the cruise control will help you gain access. I took mine off since I dont use cruise.
          aight then...thanks for the quickie..tahaha

edited 2nd time..it workd!

Edited again...
          Where is the nearest junkyard over here in ft. worth Nail? anyone know? cuz if my "brush" inside the alt. isn't my solution then i'll hafta replace the whole alt....and yeah i DO want OEM..so far i've heard rumors about the aftermarkets.
          Last edited by Djmoua; 08-26-2007, 12:48 AM.

*Needs*
          -New shocks
          -Struts
          -Drop
          -Cleaning
          -New Tires/Wheels
          -New Window Tint
          -Alot more lovin'

Comment

I run an aftermarket alternator. Mine is rebuilt from a separate company from autozone and crap. Again it is a shop that specializes in it. It has lasted me for the past year if not longer without a hitch (also lifetime warranty is nice). You can try B&B. Most places will sell you a complete alternator not just the brush unless you go to a pick and pull.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

well i just replaced my alternator today instead of the brush deal...because im too damn desperate to drive my accord again...haven't driven in it for i think 3 months (again)...got it from autozone and im assuming it's rebuilt...but still looks decent and OEM so whatever haha..only problem left is:

1) Remove the dead bolts from the PS and Alt. adjuster bracket area...
              2) and a new radiator cap (no biggie).

EDited:
              Wait...do i actually or Necessarily NEED those 2 adjuster things that go onto my PS and Alt. bracket???
              Last edited by Djmoua; 08-27-2007, 12:33 PM.

*Needs*
              -New shocks
              -Struts
              -Drop
              -Cleaning
              -New Tires/Wheels
              -New Window Tint
              -Alot more lovin'

Comment

What dead bolts? The two 10s one holds the bracket and that just stays on. The aother adjusts it as long as you can get the belt off thats all. THEN there is also that 12mm nut you took off earlier there is a bolt under there that comes out with the alternator. Its a bitch to get back on but you dont take the adjusters off only until you can take off the belt and your done with it.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Djmoua
                  well i just replaced my alternator today instead of the brush deal...because im too damn desperate to drive my accord again...haven't driven in it for i think 3 months (again)...got it from autozone and im assuming it's rebuilt...but still looks decent and OEM so whatever haha..only problem left is:

1) Remove the dead bolts from the PS and Alt. adjuster bracket area...
                  2) and a new radiator cap (no biggie).

EDited:
                  Wait...do i actually or Necessarily NEED those 2 adjuster things that go onto my PS and Alt. bracket???
                  Yes, the "adjuster things" are what hold the PS Pump and Alternator in place, and thus set the tension on the belts. If you don't replace those (or leave them too loose), the force of the belt spinning will throw everything out of whack.

Comment

Helpful thread

Thanks for posting this thread, it really came in handy. I just got done swapping out my alternator a few hours ago. I notice that there is a faint yet high pitch whining sound. Is that normal for a new alternator, does it need to be broken in? Other than that everything is great and i'm back on the road.

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

o yeah Nail...forgot to thank ya too!...this thread here Helped our asses! THANKS! wouldn't know how to do it without a better explaination like urs.

*Needs*
                      -New shocks
                      -Struts
                      -Drop
                      -Cleaning
                      -New Tires/Wheels
                      -New Window Tint
                      -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Working...
                      X