ENG: Installing Aftermarket Throttle Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Installing Aftermarket Throttle Body

The throttle body i installed on my H22 is a Skunk2 68mm. Other TBs may vary.

Fabrication is needed. You must be able to be patient.

Tools: 12mm socket and ratchet
    pliers
    dremel
    eye protection

-First you have to disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
    -Take off your radiator cap.(this takes pressure off the colant lines running to the TB.)
    -disconnect the intake/breather
    -disconnect the throttle cable.
    -disconect all lines running to the upper half of the intake manifold**be sure to label or take pictures to ensure that you know where to re install them. Note that two lines running into the stock TB are coolant-Be careful when removing these.
    -loosen the 12mm bolts and nuts that hold the upper half of the intake manifold on.
    -Take the stock throttle body off.
    ** You will notice that the aftermarket TB is relatively larger than stock. So much so that you can slide the stock TB into the opening of the Aftermarket TB.
    ** You will also notice that your new TB doen't have all the crap hanging off of it like that of the stock TB. Don't worry.
    -This is where the fabrication comes in. The picture below is where the map sensor would go. Our map sensor is in that neat little black box above the fuel filter.

Here is my solution to that problem. Below is a picture of a missing link from a turbo kit that I fit with a fitting. I also used two scews and an O-ring from the hardware store to hold it on. The vacumn hose that you took off the stock TB will be used here.

-Next you take the gasket provided and trace the area of material needed for removal.

-After you have traced the gasket, now is time to remove the material in order to port match the manifold. WEAR EYE PROTECTION! Use a dremel or compressor driven air drill. Grind the area down smooth all the way back. If you Skip this step, you have wasted your time. It should look like this. Remember to clean all metal shaving before going any further.

-Next install the Tps sensor. Use the factory gasket.
    - Loop a hose to both ends of the IACV
    - Loop the coolant line into each other (one less thing to mess up your idle)
    -Install TB onto Manifold and put everything back together.
    - Adjust Idle with screw and Tps sensor.
    - One thing is I took the red line going to the charcoal canister out. We dont have smog tests, so check on that!
    Thats it! Good luck!
    Every Knee Shall Bow-Isaiah 45:23

nice diy

notice any diffrence/

Comment

That's cool!
      So what kind of throttle body was that for?
      (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
      Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
      My (old) Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
        nice diy

notice any diffrence/
        Throttle reponse is way up, and the whistling is an intoxicating sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan1987
          That's cool!
          So what kind of throttle body was that for?
          H22

Comment

I have to say man, that's one good looking engine youve got. From the sound of things you've really been working hard. Keep it up!!!
            Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

your TB isent sticking right cause a friend of mine returned his bacause his throttle plate was sticking
              U dont work U dont eat
              U dont grind Udont shine
              1st car 90 CB7 lx auto coupe
              present car 90 CB7 ex clutch coupe
              1st motor f22a1 2nd motor f22a4 present motor JDM H22a with m2b4 trans

Comment

Working...
              X