ENG: Making your own fuel pressure guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Making your own fuel pressure guage

Hello all cb7 tuners! I'm posting this because I had so much trouble making this work for me that I would save you the head ache! Plus, this method is much cheaper than an electrical guage from Auto Meter, and a little cheaper than a mechanical guage from Auto Meter.
    This comes in [I]very[I] handy if you have an adjustable fule pressure regulator.
    Here's what you will need:
    1. A fule pressure tester (got mine at Advance Autoparts. Around $36...)
    2. A 12 X 1.25 mm bolt approx. 2" long and a nut to fit it
    3. A hack saw, saws all, or anything that can cut through a bolt (I used a dye grinder with a cutting wheel...)
    4. A drill and bits
    5. A set of metric wrenches (open ended) MUST HAVE A 17MM!
    6. Approx. a foot of 3/8 rubber hose or braided stainless steel line
    7. Two screw down type hose clamps
    8. A brass fitting that is male 1/8 pipe thread on one end and a male fitting on the other end that will fit snuggly inside the 3/8 hose
    9. A 1/8 male pipe thread cap fitting
    10. Thread seal tape
    11. ALOT OF PATIENCE!!!

First, locate the fule rail service port on the top right hand side of the fule rail.

It will look like a litte bolt sitting on top of a bigger bolt. You will want to remove this. The larger bolt is a 17mm, and the one you want to take out. Take your 12 X 1.25mm bolt and cut the head off the bolt. Now, take your drill and a bit that's not to big, yet not to small (if I knew the size of the bit, I'd tell you, but I forgot! ) and drill all the way through the length of the bolt from end to end. This is where the patience comes in handy! Once you do that, take your fule pressure tester and remove the rubber hose with the brass fitting on the end from the "T" style fitting. Next remove the bleeder valve from the "T" fitting. Now take you male 1/8 pipe thread cap fitting and wrap the end with thread seal tape, then cap off the opening where the bleeder valve was. Take your male 1/8 on one end fitting and on the 1/8 end, wrap it in thread seal tape. Screw that end into the "T" fitting where the rubber hose was, right below the guage.

Remember the other end of that fitting needs to fit snug into your 3/8 rubber hose. Now put one end of your 3/8 hose over that end of the fitting, and secure it with one of your hose clamps. Take you newly modifided bolt with no head and a hole drilled through it, and making sure you use the washer that was under the factory bolt on the service port, put the bolt through that washer and then into the service port on the fule rail. Now, lock that bolt down with the nut you bought to fit the 12 X 1.25mm bolt that you just put into the fule rail service port. Finaly, connect the other end of your 3/8 hose to your homeade fitting in the service port and secure it with the other hose clamp. Your done!

Now go start the engine and watch the guage. Your stock fule pressure should read between 30 and 38 psi. (mine was right at 38 psi...) If you have an adjustable pressure regulator, make your adjustments while watching the guage. As someone on this site told me, (forgive me for not remembering who right now. love...) it should be safe to increase your fule pressure 10 to 15% without making any other adjustments. (10% of 38 psi is 3.8. add 3.8 to 38 and you get 41.8 psi, so I set mine for 42 psi...)
    An adjustable fule pressure regulator will help improve your air to fule mixture for those of you that have a high flow air intake and or a high flow exhaust system.

And you must have a guage setup to monitor fule pressure. I hope this D.I.Y. is helpful! Be safe, and happy tuneing!
    Last edited by SuperNova92LX; 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM. Reason: Adding Pics
    Nova: A star that suddenly increases it's light output tremendously and then fades away to its former obscurity in a few months or years.

Supernova: One of the rarely observed nova outbursts in which the maximum intrinsic luminosity may reach 100 million times that of the sun.

cool butt where r the dam pics?

Comment

Read the last of my last post. If I could post pics, I would. Maybe after taxes come back at the first of the year, I can actualy afford to buy my own computer w/ a scanner and update things w/ some pics...
      Nova: A star that suddenly increases it's light output tremendously and then fades away to its former obscurity in a few months or years.

Supernova: One of the rarely observed nova outbursts in which the maximum intrinsic luminosity may reach 100 million times that of the sun.

Comment

i dont know how much FPR gauge's are in your area, but for $36 (you spent on a fuel pressure tester) you could have bought a damn gauge. B&M is around $30.

178 whp and 148 torque (mustang dyno)
        14.8 @ 93 in 1/4 mile-in Accord
        ??.? @ ?? in 1/4 mile-in Civic

Comment

:LOL: heres my answer, you just wasted your time, adjusting feul pressure does nothing of benefit, especially with your set up.
          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Ouch, guys! That hurts... Every place I checked for guages had prices around $40 for mechanical, and in the hundreds for an electrical guage. Oh, and having an AFPR dose help with my setup. Any time you add any kind of free flowing air intake or exhaust you lean out the a/f ratio. Stepping up fule pressure helps you regain a somewhat of balance in your a/f ratio.

I was of the impression this was a site where all cb7 owners could feel "love", no matter if their Accord was running 10's or if they were just starting out. Believe me, if I could afford to have a 10 second Accord, I would. But I'm a full time student, only work 31 hrs. a week at $7/hr., and have a wife (who's only a student...) and a four month old. Bare with me! Peace.

Comment

DEF MAN i here you about the school thing man, im not trying to make you mad in any way, where all here to help, but your ecu controls your duration of injector, if you rasied your feul pressure your injector will still be flowing what its capable of at the spefcific factory duration, i dont think it does anything by raising pressure, but im not 100% sure. Thanks bro
              To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

You didn't make me mad! It takes a little more than that! Maybe a little hurt, but I'll get over it!

FushigiRES once told me that it was safe to increase fuel pressure by 10-15% of stock pressure without affecting my stock injectors. But you are right in the sence that if I were to do any major fuel tune-ups, I would need aftermarket injectors along with a upgrade to my computer.

Comment

This is what I originally explained:

Generally it is safe to raise the fuel pressure no more than 10 to 15 percent. Rasing the fuel pressure of a stock injection system changes the specific fuel flow calibration of the injector. The computer bases all its calculations on the known calibration of the injector. When the calibration changes due to an increase in the the fuel pressure, the computer cannot know this without a calibration change. Since the injector's flow rate changes, all the computer's origional calculations are in error and the fuel curve will experince a shift that may be harmful across most of the engine's operating range. Like was stated before, you can raise it 10 to 15 percent safely without ecu modifications.

Comment

Once again, Fushi is correct! According to the Haynes manual for the 90-93 Accord, stock fule pressure is between 30-38 psi. My stock pressure was right at 38, so 10% of 38 would be 3.8. 38 + 3.8 = 41.8, so I raised my pressure to approx. 42psi. Well within limits.

Saucy: You in school too? What's your major? I'm schedualed to graduate in May '05, for what it's worth. So far, my majoring class has been pretty much a joke! I've learned more about cars talking with and working with the A.S.E. certified guys at work. My class basicly instructs you on how to stand around and B.S. and smoke ciggerattes! However, there is the occasional video, and the chapter work in the book. Thank God for that!

Comment

Oh, yeah. sACCLUDEd: Since I work for a dealer, the fuel pressure tester I bought only cost me around $25. Dealer discount! But reguardless, I figured the info on making a fitting to fit the service port on the fuel rail was worth posting. Even if some people buy an Auto Meter guage or what ever brand, I figured the info may come in handy if they had trouble finding a fitting to fit the fuel rail service port. And if other tuners out there work for a dealer or any garage, I figured they may get a discount at their local parts stores as well, and may not have been aware that they could get the cheaper fuel tester and have it serve the same purpose.
                      Just tring to be helpful! Thankx again everyone for the feedback.

Comment

Jus wanted to let everyone know its FUEL not FULE or FEUL...damn...jk...jus bein a smartass lol...peace

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
                        So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

Originally posted by bagoon316
                          Jus wanted to let everyone know its FUEL not FULE or FEUL...damn...jk...jus bein a smartass lol...peace

I'm a bit dislesic at times, and suck at spelling!!!

Comment

does any one know were theres another post like this but with piks?,i got the information i just cant figure out everything he's saying i need visual aid. or instead of messing with the fuel tester can i just buy a mech. guage and put it on using the screw method or is there another method for a mechanical guage??
                            I Ain't cocky,I'm confident.And when u say im the best it's a compliment.!

Comment

Originally posted by EG-Si hatch
                              does any one know were theres another post like this but with piks?,i got the information i just cant figure out everything he's saying i need visual aid. or instead of messing with the fuel tester can i just buy a mech. guage and put it on using the screw method or is there another method for a mechanical guage??

I'm not to sure about the mech. guage since I've never messed with one. But as soon as I can get a way to post pics, I plan on updateing this thread with pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X