brake probs...2nd time!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake probs...2nd time!!

Aight, it happened again to me, same scenario as before. I buy remanufactured calipers from a parts store, then get new pads. I've done brake jobs plenty times before.

I disconnect the brake line from old caliper & attach to reman. I push back piston, install new pads w/plates and go to put caliper over the pads.....WON'T FIT OR IS A TIGHT ASS FIT!! I make sure the piston is all the way back...it is, check to see if anything is in the way...NOPE!!

So my probs are either:
    1) caliper fits, but is too tight of a fit and rotor doesn't spin by hand.
    2) caliper don't fit at all...I grind off pads some...make it fit, but it's waaay tight..don't spin by hand

The reman calipers are right ones, they look fine... I think the pads are made too thick! WTF!
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

just looked @ diagram of rear assy.

caliper pins are rusted into caliper brackets ....they look like ONE piece. So it seems you not only have to push back piston, but wirebrush the pins, lube them and push them back into the bores within the caliper bracket.

I'll try that tomorrow, should work...I'm hoping....I hate rust! Can't wait to move to AZ

Comment

thats why u should of got loaded calipers that came with the pads...u wouldnt have to deal with it...

before i sanded down a pad so that the sides would fit. i say take back the pads and tell em it dont fit

but does the rotor have to spin with the new pads? wont it adjust itself...im not sure...but take back the pads and say that shit dont fit...

did u get the right typ eof pads like akebono or nissin?

u know..i never put on those stupid plates! hahaha..i hate those...they are only brake wear sensors....i look down there every 3 months anyways lol.z..

if they give u the wrong pads again take off ur caliper and tell them to fit their pads in ur new caliper...
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I see that it looks like you guys have changed your brakes before. I am interested in doing the same but the caliper bolt that you need to loosen in order to swing the caliper up is VERY VERY TIGHT. I put all my energy and force into it but it won't budge. I am wanting to get a impact wrench so I can loosen it. I assume everybody else has one?
        Last edited by thatsitbelowradarSTL; 04-17-2004, 04:16 PM.
        Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
        Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

First off, yes I did get the right pads for my Nissin rear calipers for the 91 SE. I know that much, c'mon now. Also, a rotor SHOULD sping by hand after changing out pads or doing any brake job. If it don't, you'll be smokin ur brakes, getting hella hot. I'm just saying sometimes the shit don't go smoothly, but like I said, I figured it out...the caliper pin was so rusted it looked like it was part of the bracket & only 1 of 4 came out, the others were seized inside the caliper bracket bore. Even after soaking it with rust penetrant.

I bought reman. calipers for rears w/new pads & ordered new brackets. I will be installing everything this weekend when I get home from college.

About the caliper bolt question... spray the shit down with rust penetrant spray. let it sit for a few minutes...tap the bolt to help break it loose, then spray the shit again...then try using a breaker bar & socket to get the shit off. Or two combo wrenches doin that lil mechanic trick....do it by hand before resorting to impact gun. Trust me....and if you go impact gun, put it on lowest setting..otherwise you'll just strip the bolt head right off

Comment

make sure ur going the right way..just get a wrench..and a hammer...

before u get the right pads...make sure ur caliper says nissin...some cars have differnt types....i mean he may be right, but just check to be sure....
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
              make sure ur going the right way..just get a wrench..and a hammer...

before u get the right pads...make sure ur caliper says nissin...some cars have differnt types....i mean he may be right, but just check to be sure....
              who you talking to ?

Comment

HondaFan81: i refered to u when i said about the calipers might being nissin--but he did get the right pads i believe...

tinted_ride66: i referd to him saying that if its too tight i just use a rubber hammer and a wrench to take that bolt off....

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                X