I can hear a spark...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can hear a spark...

I just put a fresh dizzy in. It has so much damn power. So much power that I can hear the spark froom inside the cylinder while standing in front of the car with the hood open. It's not that loud, but I can hear every spark going through the cylinders. Is this a problem?
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Originally posted by Straight Success
    I just put a fresh dizzy in. It has so much damn power. So much power that I can hear the spark froom inside the cylinder while standing in front of the car with the hood open. It's not that loud, but I can hear every spark going through the cylinders. Is this a problem?
    Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak? Those make a tick noise that sounds like a spark.

FWIW, I doubt you could hear the spark. I think something else is afoot... maybe valve noise?
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

lol.....Did you set the ignition timing? You're not backfiring are you?

Comment

are you sure your hearing the spark? Isnt there supposed to be +/- 13 sparks per second for each cylinder at idle?

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

The only way you'll hear a spark is if it's shorting to the valve cover (or maybe shorting outside or inside the dizzy cap). This might be happening just under one of the plug well dust covers, so it might not be visible. If this was occuring the engine would also be idling rough (and probably running rough). Of course if it's not a spark, then it's something else...

You might want to try and isolate the source of the noise by using a length of narrow plastic pipe held to one ear, and the other end held near where you think the sound is coming from.
          Regards from Oz,
          John.

Comment

No I can hear it. It is a constant pattern from all 4 cylinders. It even has a rythem to it. I am sure it sounds like a spark from a spark plug. Not an exhaust leak. New OEM exhaust. Done at Mercedes by the Service Manager. It is actually the spark from the plugs. I am sure. Also it has like wayyyyyy more power than before the new dizzy. Before the dizzy it had good power. Now I can hold full throttle, and going into sencond gear I can chirp tire for about 1.5 to 2 seconds. Meanwhile it's an auto. No tranny problems. Shifts smooth with no delays.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

You sure its not ping from shitty gas, or detonation?
              wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
                You sure its not ping from shitty gas, or detonation?
                Naw it kinda sounds like a tazer gun. But really faint. I dorve it around and no problems.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by oozingmachismo2
                  lol.....Did you set the ignition timing?

Comment

There is no way you could hear a spark plug firing inside the cylinder.

Are you sure it's not the injectors? They do make a sound somewhat similar to a spark. Listen to the inectors with a length of hose held to your ear and to the injector, or, place a screwdriver blade on an injector and your ear on the end of the handle.
                    Regards from Oz,
                    John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
                      There is no way you could hear a spark plug firing inside the cylinder.

Are you sure it's not the injectors? They do make a sound somewhat similar to a spark. Listen to the inectors with a length of hose held to your ear and to the injector, or, place a screwdriver blade on an injector and your ear on the end of the handle.
                      Well maybe that could be it. But I definately hear a pattern of sparks. My injectors are good. When I first purchased the car, they were replaced at Honda before it was sold. Still have the original documentation.

It really doesn't matter, just thought I share to get insight of what's going on. It's still for sale.
                      Last edited by Straight Success; 02-21-2008, 01:43 AM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

are you happy HOV?!
                        Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Yea, I know!

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Sorry, every time I read your sigs I have to respond, and I totally lose track of what teh thread was about in the first place. lol
                            Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success
                              Well maybe that could be it. But I definately hear a pattern of sparks. My injectors are good.
                              Think about it, every time a spark plug fires there is a corresponding injector cycle. It shouldn't be a surprise that the injectors follow the same "pattern" as the spark plugs.
                              Regards from Oz,
                              John.

Comment

Working...
                              X