making my own short ram air intake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making my own short ram air intake!

i was thinking, i have a reguler aftermarket ractive air intake,you know the one were the filter sits right behind the battery,,anyway i dont want a cai but i was thinking of cutting this one and making realy short like a short ram air intake,wouldnt i get better throttle response? would this even make any sense to do?i was thinking of just cutting the intake tube really short so its almost like a straight shot into the manifold.sounds like an idea? it would take me 5 mins and it seems like a good idea to me.let me know what you guys think. i got this intake like 2 yrs ago and just want to see if i can make a change,the only problem i see is the shorter intake would suck in the hot engine heat,were as the setup i have now actually is not a cai but its way over near the fender and it sucks in cool air that comes up through that hole in the fender.

it'd be a waste in my opinion. I put on a really short intake tube from my turbo kit a couple months back just to see if it did anything. The filter sat facing directly at the fuse box but i didn't feel a difference...felt the same. If u want throttle response just get the weapon r throttle rotor. And if not that then try making ur own ram air intake. Just find a source of fresh air or cut the front bumper a little bit. 2-3" hose from the bumper area to the filter and u've got a bit more pep from 60mph and up
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

cool thanks,glad i didnt decide to cut my intake,so basically just find a way toget fresh air tothe filter,>.........cai? i have heard to many stories of hydrolocking so kinda worries me and the bypass would just take away any hp gained.maybe i should just be happy with what i have..lol.

Comment

u can make ur own short ram but to have a short pipe is a waste.

the reason well half the reason why CAI makes more power cause its cold air and the pipe is longer

when the pipe is longer air velocity increases over a period of time rushing into the throttle body...

short rams power is in the high rpms....cause the pipe is shorter.

u want cold air? run a pipe from the bottom of the car or inside the bumper, to the filter...
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
          u can make ur own short ram but to have a short pipe is a waste.

the reason well half the reason why CAI makes more power cause its cold air and the pipe is longer

when the pipe is longer air velocity increases over a period of time rushing into the throttle body...

short rams power is in the high rpms....cause the pipe is shorter.

u want cold air? run a pipe from the bottom of the car or inside the bumper, to the filter...
          gonna have to dispute that one ztech. The longer the pipe the more air speed the intake loses because of the time and distance it takes for the intake charge to reach the throttle body. The cold air gets its power from drawing in the cold air obviously...and its the density of the cool air that gives the CAI more power in the higher rpms. The short ram is known for the throttle response and low-mid range power because the air doesn't have far to travel to get to the tb. I'll post pix of what i did to my car for a safe ram air setup

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Ram Air Conversion pix:

Inlet

underside of the car, looking from the wheel well towards the front bumper

Connected to weapon r filter via $1 hose, silicone hose, hose clamps, and little weird shaped brackets

proof it does work...look at the top of the filter where the hose was connected...see how its hella dirty? theres even a small feather stuck to the filter. Any time it rained i just put a sponge in ram air inlet. But theoritically it'd take going about 80mph through the pouring rain to even get a drop close to the filter

Comment

hmmm pretty neat.

Comment

omg what happens when snow get up in there bro

Comment

i live in FL...and there shouldn't be any snow anywhere in the U.S. at this time of the year...besides an oversized sponge would block the snow too.

Comment

I love those pics everytime you post them up! It reminds me how with a few dollars, some ingenuity, and a lil time, you can make a significant difference to your car. Your my hero Antoine

My Accord History:
                    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
                    X