Rebuilt C/V Shafts.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt C/V Shafts.....

I just got done, a few days ago, changing my left and right C/V joints on my '91 auto with rebuilt joints. Something is not right in that I get a vibration on acceleration. On deceleration or while coasting there is no vibration. Can this sort of thing happen with the rebuilds? Seems like it may be coming from the driver side and being that is the longest one it kind of makes sense. Due you need to go through one or two to get a good rebuilt shaft? I know you do sometimes on other parts that get rebuilt, just that I have no experience with these things. Other than that they appear to be ok in that the clicking noise that happened while turning has gone away.

EGR Port Cleaning http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

You either got a defective one or, you didnt push the axle all the way in until you heard a snap or you probably didnt put tighten down something good enough like the luck nut on the hub. Your supposed to push in the axle and let the c ring settle in the part where it locks in at so it doesnt wobble back out if you can pull the axle back out by hand which shouldnt happen if you can its not in all the way.

Comment

Most parts stores, when it comes to halfshafts, are the same supplier. The same supplier for Napa, is Oreily's, etc. We bought a shaft from Oreily's, it was stiff, took it back. Must've exchanged at least 8 shafts before going to Napa. All of Napa's shafts were stiff, and were from the same supplier. So we took off the retaining ring and looked at the joint. New bearings, but almost NO grease whatsoever. Something is fucked at where they're rebuilding these shafts. Really fucked!

Comment

You could also have a bent drive shaft. Most of those shafts are either cores from other people or bought from salvage yards. In any case some come from wrecked vehicles and some from people who have hit curbs and etc. It doesn't take much to bend a drive shaft or even throw it out of balance.

I have yet to find a drive shaft rebuilder worth a damn. Most of them just change the boots, grease them, paint them and ship them out. They don't change the bearings, they don't balance or inspect for bends. They all suck ass.

You probably will need to keep swapping it out till you get a good one. Some people get it on the first try sometimes it takes 5 or 6. Almost makes it worth buying the new axles for 2 and half a pop.

Edit: Or you can buy the remans from Honda for about 130 give or take a few. I don't know how good thsoe would be though.
        My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

I was referring to "new" axles from Oreily's or Napa. However, they're all reconditioned from someone's core.

Comment

Well as for the driveshaft busted has a point there. MY mooms geo tracker had that problem before when you reach at a certain speed it would wobble all out of balance. The reason why the driveshaft bent up was because of the jack that got bent by the jack.

Comment

I took a look to see if I in fact didn't seat the shafts and they appear to be seated, they both looked the same. Is there a way to verify that they are seated without pulling it apart? Can you pop them out and reseat them with everything together to check? What is the proper way to seat them when installing?

I will change the driver side and see if it fixes the problem on Tuesday. I'll post back with the results.

Thanks for all the replies.

EGR Port Cleaning http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

Comment

jack the car up and put it on jack stands......MAKE SURE ITS ON STANDS....take the wheel off and bang the piss out of the end of the drive shaft......after that crawl under the car and there should be no gap where the shafts meets the tranny case. if its ur driver side there is no "clicking" it in. thats what the intermittent shaft is there for, to hold it in place.
                Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

i had a quick question....i have a torn cv and is it possible to have vibration from that? can the dirt ruin something in there and make it vibrate? i have had a bent one before but i from what i know this one is only torn

i need an alignment/wheels balanced but i don't want to do that yet and still get vibration if it is also coming from the the bad cv...hope someone can help, thanks.
                  Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
                  Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

A torn boot is what causes the joints to go bad. The boot breaks open, grease goes flying EVERYWHERE, dirt gets inside the bearing assemblage, and eventually destroys the bearing surfaces. If caught early, you can just put another boot on, but if it's clicking, it's time to replace the shaft.

Comment

Even if the boot is still torn I say change the whole thing its a real pain in the ass to do it all over again if it still clicks, I know ive tried it before its when you cut corners it becomes more costly remember that.

Comment

my question was: can a torn cv, that results in a bad joint, cause vibration?
                        Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
                        Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

yes it can

Comment

Working...
                          X