Electrical Gremlins *HELP!!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Gremlins *HELP!!*

alright i got the electrical gremlins from hell.

gremlin 1
    when i turn the key to the first switch, my parking lights trigger like i put them on which i didnt.

gremlin 2
    my open trunk door indicator light on the gauge cluster is on, like it indicates that my trunk is open when it isnt.

gremlin 3
    the radiator fans are not triggering like its supposed to when it reaches a certain temp. (joesue had to by pass it and keep them on)

gremlin 4
    my winshield wipers only work on medium and high, but not in INT

gremlin 5
    my power door locks only unlock. they do not lock.

last but not least and my most recent encounter....

gremlin 6
    my turnsignal works then it starts getting slow or it just stays on, sometimes it doesnt even work!

HELP HELP HELP
    Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM.

holy whoa. somethings happening under yo' dashboard dude. u get any water leaks at the front of the cabin ever?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

turn signal issue sounds like a bad flasher relay. the rest of the stuff sounds like a large short to ground or a ground got disconnected.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
      member ride thread
      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
        holy whoa. somethings happening under yo' dashboard dude. u get any water leaks at the front of the cabin ever?
        no water leaks what so ever.

yea im guessing its the wires getting fried somehow under the dash board.

ill post some vids of what im talkin about.

my worry is that im gonna have to replace the whole wiring on the whip. if i can narrow it down, i can probably get down and dirty as to tearing the dash board apart. ive done it before when i did a dashboard switch, but its not a fun task.

its just motivation to get rid of this car. electrical gremlins is the last thing i need on this car. they're soo hard to trouble shoot.

ill check the flasher relay, but i really gotta get going on the electrical.

Comment

Get your blinker fluid changes ASAP, or else you'll ruin your blinker pump
          wat?

Comment

i knew i was gonna get one of those blinker answers.

but seriously guys.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2
              gremlin 4
              my winshield wipers only work on medium and high, but not in INT

check your inteior light fuse in the engine bay .... the INT selection for your wipers runs off of that fuse .....
              R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
              (O.o )
              (> < )

My Rotor DIY
              I'm not perfect i will make mistakes if i do just point it out to me

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHondaOwnR
                check your inteior light fuse in the engine bay .... the INT selection for your wipers runs off of that fuse .....
                cool ill check that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHondaOwnR
                  awesome you are right.

A working fuse eliminated gremlins 2 & 4.

but theres a catch, it keeps popping. i open the door and close it the fuse pops.

so i replaced it again and put another fuse.
                  just to turn on the electronics in the car to ignition1 the fuse pops.

so if i can figure what is causing the fuse to pop and fix it, i'll eliminate gremlins 2 and 4.

any suggestions? thanks guys!

Comment

awesome you are right.

A working fuse eliminated gremlins 2 & 4.

but theres a catch, it keeps popping. i open the door and close it the fuse pops.

so i replaced it again and put another fuse.
                    just to turn on the electronics in the car to ignition1 the fuse pops.

so if i can figure what is causing the fuse to pop and fix it, i'll eliminate gremlins 2 and 4.

any suggestions? thanks guys!

If it keeps popping, then you have a short somewhere/something is pulling too much power. Did you recently add a security/bigger stereo system that a shop might have put on that circuit? If not, then you probably just have a bare wire someplace that is rubbing up against metal. Check your other fuses, too. They might be causing the same problems.

For 2 and 3, you'd have to check your switches/relays. If your trunk switch is bad, then the trunk light will stay on. You could close the trunk, but open the back seat and check that. The ECU should throw a code if the Engine Coolant Temp switch was out, so I'd guess your relay is bad. there are two of them on the drivers side of the car, right next to where you fill your washer fluid up. You can try swapping the two relays; one is for your AC fan (on the passenger side of radiator), the other is for your regular engine fan (driver side of radiator). Another question: If you turn your AC on, does that fan come on? Check that before you try swapping relays. If it comes on, then it is probably your relay that is bad.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by benji; 01-25-2008, 01:36 AM.
                    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

i have a feeling u have something messed up .. maybe a shot wire.. in the steering wheel column .. possibly near ignition and wiper switch?
                      -:Ĥ:-
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Originally posted by benji
                        If it keeps popping, then you have a short somewhere/something is pulling too much power. Did you recently add a security/bigger stereo system that a shop might have put on that circuit? If not, then you probably just have a bare wire someplace that is rubbing up against metal. Check your other fuses, too. They might be causing the same problems.

For 2 and 3, you'd have to check your switches/relays. If your trunk switch is bad, then the trunk light will stay on. You could close the trunk, but open the back seat and check that. The ECU should throw a code if the Engine Coolant Temp switch was out, so I'd guess your relay is bad. there are two of them on the drivers side of the car, right next to where you fill your washer fluid up. You can try swapping the two relays; one is for your AC fan (on the passenger side of radiator), the other is for your regular engine fan (driver side of radiator). Another question: If you turn your AC on, does that fan come on? Check that before you try swapping relays. If it comes on, then it is probably your relay that is bad.

Good luck!
                        If your trunk switch is bad, then the trunk light will stay on. You could close the trunk, but open the back seat and check that.

for the trunk light indicator (on the gauge cluster when it tells you a door is open), its only on when the fuse is out. as i indicated on 2 & 4. its weird but i have no open trunk light indicator when the fuse is working. but when the fuse pops its back on again with the redlight saying its open.

Did you recently add a security/bigger stereo system that a shop might have put on that circuit?

i have a hornet alarm installed by my friend and also a member here which is a certified tech for installing systems, alarms, lojack, other components. The problem didnt happen until when i actually got my car painted. i know for sure it wasnt faulty installation everything was professional.

Another question: If you turn your AC on, does that fan come on? Check that before you try swapping relays. If it comes on, then it is probably your relay that is bad.

yes the fan works fine with the a/c or heater when i toggle it from the control knob.
                        -ill see if i can find a good relay, perhaps i can just do a quick switcharoo with the a/c fan relay and the engine cooling relay to test it?

ill try to figure this on as soon as i can, thanks for the input! ill keep you guys updated.

Comment

[I]

Another question: If you turn your AC on, does that fan come on? Check that before you try swapping relays. If it comes on, then it is probably your relay that is bad.

yes the fan works fine with the a/c or heater when i toggle it from the control knob.
                          -ill see if i can find a good relay, perhaps i can just do a quick switcharoo with the a/c fan relay and the engine cooling relay to test it?

I wasn't talking about the HVAC fan, I was talking about the radiator fans... When you turn on your AC, one of the fans on the radiator (the passenger side one) should come on. If you turn your AC on, then that fan should kick in. If it does, then you will know that relay is good, before you switch the regular fan and the AC fan relays. If they are both bad, or if the problem is further up in the wiring system, then neither fan would come on, regardless of the state of the relays.
                          1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by benji
                            I wasn't talking about the HVAC fan, I was talking about the radiator fans... When you turn on your AC, one of the fans on the radiator (the passenger side one) should come on. If you turn your AC on, then that fan should kick in. If it does, then you will know that relay is good, before you switch the regular fan and the AC fan relays. If they are both bad, or if the problem is further up in the wiring system, then neither fan would come on, regardless of the state of the relays.
                            oh my bad, i misinterpreted the information. i get what your saying on the fans. right now its rigged (paper clip on the connector) so its on all the time. but ill remove it and connect the sensor again and give it another shot to see if it works, and run the engine to see if it triggers when the engine temp gets hot enough. if not ill start doing the relay switch. if nothing happens its probably more bad wiring.

thanks!

Comment

Take apart your fuse box and put it back together
                              Next disassemble your alarm and throw it as far as you can
                              Problems solved!
                              Your man for wiring solutions!
                              CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                              CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X