false starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

false starts

Now that's it's really cold out, I'm trying to use my remote start in the mornings before I head out the door, but it's not working. I've got it setup to crank the motor until it's started based off of the tach signal on my completely stock 90 4door DX. I had the same remote starter on my f22 prelude and had no issues.
    The motor will crank for a few seconds, then just stop because the remote starter sees enough spark to think the car has started. However, it will do this with the key, and instead of stopping I'll keep the key in the start position and the car will sputter a bit, then finally start. I only have this problem with the remote starter when the ambient temp is less than 20-25*F.
    Recently the car has been also been idling low/rough and getting less than stellar fuel milage (21 HWY, 19CITY). These things happened overnight (litterally, it was a problem when I started it 1 morning and was fine when I came home the day before) and before I put the remote stater on. I don't have any clue what could be wrong, short of compression loss. I had the same remote starter on my f22 prelude and had no issues. The car only has 127k miles on it and was a grandma's car for the first 15years of it's life, my friend bought it from his grandma, and I bought it from him last february, so I know most of the history of the car... it was fairly well taken care of.

Maybe it's time for a turneup? It's last real service was at 115k miles for a timing belt and brake job. I adjusted the valves 1000 miles ago with no change in behavior of the car, but they don't tick near as much.
    Suggestions as to how to make the car start with the remote in the mornings or to fix the idle/fuel mpg problem? I put the thing on so I wouldn't have to go outside to a freezing car, but that's not happening.

sounds like the rem start is doing its job, id just check the sparks/distribitor/cap/rotor.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
    X