Axle Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle Help

ok i think in the process of doing my swap something happen to my axle...is there anyway to tell by looking at them...there is grease all over the pass. cv boot plus a noise when i turn left...........also the driver axle nut was REALLY lOOSE .....

PS they are NAPA axles is that a lifetime warrenty??

Sounds like you just need a new axel. Seems like the boot gets a crack and then that is the end of the axel, it's weird how it always works out.

Napa ones do have a warranty, I think, but it only applies to failure, not normal end of life kinda things. When were they last replaced?

Also, be sure to check that there isn't anything that the boot could be rubbing on that would cause it to rip.
    1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

they were bought in 2006....is there supposed to be a small gap between the boot and were it connects

Comment

Umm... no shit if your axle nut was loose....

Dude you're never working on my car.

Comment

there not supposed to be loose..........it suprised me and juan(icedplaya123) i new it was loose but not 8 turns to make it tight.....o and dont worry i live in jersey so i wont work on your car out in tucson...

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71
            there not supposed to be loose..........it suprised me and juan(icedplaya123) i new it was loose but not 8 turns to make it tight.....o and dont worry i live in jersey so i wont work on your car out in tucson...
            Was the nut posted? I.e., it should have had a small tab punched down into a notch on the axel, which should prevent it from backing out. Also, did you torque it?

Comment

yea it was posted ......thats why i thought it was wierd it was so loose....i torqued it now .....the last place that had the car was a auto shop at my school and i asked them about it and they said they used air tools....

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71
                yea it was posted ......thats why i thought it was wierd it was so loose....i torqued it now .....the last place that had the car was a auto shop at my school and i asked them about it and they said they used air tools....
                Ouch. Air tools don't replace a good torque wrench. Personally, I never use air tools on my car; it's too easy to mess threads up/cross thread things.

Comment

Originally posted by benji
                  Ouch. Air tools don't replace a good torque wrench. Personally, I never use air tools on my car; it's too easy to mess threads up/cross thread things.

true that.....well i hope that fised everything..i have to replace a hose before i can drive it to see

Comment

true that.....well i hope that fixed everything..i have to replace a hose before i can drive it to see

Comment

Words from people that cant use air tools properly. I use air tools most of the time when I have access to them and I have NOT done any of that. If you have common sense then none of those things should happen.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Life is so much more simpler and easier with the aid of air tools. I never had a single problem with stripped threads. Common sense would tell you not to use full power on a 10mm bolt.

As for the axle problem. Just replace the axle, The noise is the axle going bad, The booth was most likely ripped for a while to cause the noise by now. When the booth rips the axle is not necessary bad. It just needs a new booth and fresh grease.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                          Life is so much more simpler and easier with the aid of air tools. I never had a single problem with stripped threads. Common sense would tell you not to use full power on a 10mm bolt.

As for the axle problem. Just replace the axle, The noise is the axle going bad, The booth was most likely ripped for a while to cause the noise by now. When the booth rips the axle is not necessary bad. It just needs a new booth and fresh grease.
                          Exactly. Another thing to keep in mind is if you use hand tools and attempting to get into the automotive business as a mechanic you might as well go work at mcdonald's because you arent going to make anything. Air tools speed up the process a lot more.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                            Words from people that cant use air tools properly. I use air tools most of the time when I have access to them and I have NOT done any of that. If you have common sense then none of those things should happen.

That's slightly insulting. It's not to say that I can't use an air tool properly, it's just that I prefer not to, just in case something does happen. I have no problem with taking the time to do it without an air tool; my speed wrench works fine for me, and I'm not planning on becoming a professional mechanic.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Did you get it back together Bcozzi?

Comment

not yet the rain stoped me right now

Comment

Working...
                              X