Radiator Mystery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Djmoua
    well funny thing is...one of my fan WASN'T workin...so i already have a new one on there and this happens..so im just clueless as to why this didn't happen when i had the rattling fan on before.

and to answer Turbo90accord's question....my temp gauge is a stock gauge and is reading between half way and a lil above half way ...higher than it averagely is for me.
    So 3/4 up the gauge, yes that's higher temp than it should be.

You need to describe your entire problem from A to Z in detail. Then, you need to make a list of things you already checked and replaced in order for people to help you better. Otherwise, you will not get proper help and are prolonging your own resolution.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
      So 3/4 up the gauge, yes that's higher temp than it should be.

You need to describe your entire problem from A to Z in detail. Then, you need to make a list of things you already checked and replaced in order for people to help you better. Otherwise, you will not get proper help and are prolonging your own resolution.
      he's got a point here

although the situation envolves higher temp, this could be many reasons: to just needing to fill it more and bleed it properly to a hole in your block and/or headgasket blown

here what i did, although this spaned a mth b/c of time:

first i saw that my aftermarket guage read higher than 220 degrees. usually on a stock accord, your temp should be around 185-200; depending on how hot it is and the quality of your coolant. in your case the needle should be in the middle

next, i check the coolant level in the reservior and radiator(when cool), when i found this was low, i filled it and BLED IT PROPERLY. a week down the line, it was the same thing, so i began checking EVERY hose. found this was good so i check the water pump(drivers side of engine) and that was also good

so then i went with worse-case senario, blown headgasket. i had the block tested, and BINGO, leakin coolant(actually flooding) around cyclinder 1, head was cracked

your probably thinking this would have been seen in my oil.

while yes this would sometimes happen, in my case it flooded towards the back of the motor, right near the access hole for the balance shaft. i didnt see this b/c of how dirty my motor was, and it wasnt apparent

these were my steps to my diagnose problem, hope this helps you out
      "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

couple extra things to check tranny side of the intake manifold connecting to the head.

also heater core

the coolant/ water should never boil this is the reason its under pressure to prevent that from happening if it is boiling then there is a leak somewhere

compression test or cooling system pressure test will make it easy to find teh problem the cooling system test goes on like a radiator cap and you pumpit into teh green zone if you loose pressure then your leaking and you can listen for teh leak make sure you have the plugs out when you do this to hear if there is a leak into a cylinder

the build and demise
        buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

here's what've done....

-Realized the temp gauge is higher than normal...
          -Checked coolant resevoir---it was low..like the bottom only.
          -Filled a lil above MAX at the Resevoir.
          -couple days (about 1 and a half week later) tempp gauge is above normal again.
          -Resevoir was empty again (WTF?).
          -Refilled resevoir and radiator itself.
          -Couple days later again (lets say Saturday) , temp gauge is again higher than normal BUT resevoir and radiator level is at normal level.
          -Same day on Saturday, refilled a little in the radiator and left cap open while starting the car.
          -Radiator starts to steam little bit (heat-durrh) which also indicates circulation.
          -So far driving normal and operating normal...BUT there are some cases( 3 cases to be exact) when i start my ride after warmed up already and the RPM almost struggles to stay alive. What would that also mean? i mean about 1 and a half month ago...changed oil and sparks so wouldn't think that'll be the situation.

*Needs*
          -New shocks
          -Struts
          -Drop
          -Cleaning
          -New Tires/Wheels
          -New Window Tint
          -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

here's what've done....

-Realized the temp gauge is higher than normal...
            -Checked coolant resevoir---it was low..like the bottom only.
            -Filled a lil above MAX at the Resevoir.
            -couple days (about 1 and a half week later) tempp gauge is above normal again.
            -Resevoir was empty again (WTF?).
            -Refilled resevoir and radiator itself.
            -Couple days later again (lets say Saturday) , temp gauge is again higher than normal BUT resevoir and radiator level is at normal level.
            -Same day on Saturday, refilled a little in the radiator and left cap open while starting the car.
            -Radiator starts to steam little bit (heat-durrh) which also indicates circulation.
            -So far driving normal and operating normal...BUT there are some cases( 3 cases to be exact) when i start my ride after warmed up already and the RPM almost struggles to stay alive. What would that also mean? i mean about 1 and a half month ago...changed oil and sparks so wouldn't think that'll be the situation.
            My Conclusions:

1) You're either leaking or consuming coolant and when low enough, it overheats.
            2) You're idle fluctuation (assuming all other systems are fine & no vacuum leaks) is caused by air bubbles in your coolant system or coolant leak into your intake manifold.

Suggestions:

1) You need to find out if your coolant is leaking:

- Top off radiator & overflow resorvoir to "max" level indicator
            - Idle motor & observe for any leaks under car, trace leak location & report back and fix (check well, don't be lazy!!)
            - Especially check that lower radiator hose-to-radiator connection
            - Make sure your radiator itself has not deteriorated so much it is seeping

2) If you are not leaking coolant, it more than likely is being consumed:

- When your motor is fully warmed up and you're driving, does your exhaust blow out thick white smoke?
            - Smell coolant at your muffler while idling?

Answer: If #2 is true, then your motor has an internal coolant leak. I've seen coolant leak in the head onto exhaust valves, etc. At that point, remove the cylinder head and inspect further and/or do leakdown test to see if that helps isolate the problem (depending on waht your results are).

Comment

My Conclusions:

1) You're either leaking or consuming coolant and when low enough, it overheats.
              2) You're idle fluctuation (assuming all other systems are fine & no vacuum leaks) is caused by air bubbles in your coolant system or coolant leak into your intake manifold.

Suggestions:

1) You need to find out if your coolant is leaking:

- Top off radiator & overflow resorvoir to "max" level indicator
              - Idle motor & observe for any leaks under car, trace leak location & report back and fix (check well, don't be lazy!!)
              - Especially check that lower radiator hose-to-radiator connection
              - Make sure your radiator itself has not deteriorated so much it is seeping

2) If you are not leaking coolant, it more than likely is being consumed:

- When your motor is fully warmed up and you're driving, does your exhaust blow out thick white smoke?
              - Smell coolant at your muffler while idling?

Answer: If #2 is true, then your motor has an internal coolant leak. I've seen coolant leak in the head onto exhaust valves, etc. At that point, remove the cylinder head and inspect further and/or do leakdown test to see if that helps isolate the problem (depending on waht your results are).
              Ok for the consuming part..its kinda hard to tell...i mean it IS cold and blows out fog ya know? but as to the smell, i dont smell anything close to coolant IN or OUT of the car. Which is a good thing for me i guess heh. And i did do a LAZY check at the hoses tahahaha..i will look into all those hoses more closely when i have more time...it sucks cuz i dont have a garage at grannies...no light due still not havin power since the blackout in OK. and i get outta work...(out at 5:30pm) which gets dark like Past sunset already and then in a worst case scenerio...my head gasket might be the deal but idk how to check that since i dont have the proper toolz ( ). So how would i check out my head gasket?
              Last edited by Djmoua; 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM.

*Needs*
              -New shocks
              -Struts
              -Drop
              -Cleaning
              -New Tires/Wheels
              -New Window Tint
              -Alot more lovin'

Comment

**update**

Well as of today...my car's temp gauge was CLOSE to the top the meter. there was like a centimeter of space before it could reach the red of H in my temp gauge..So...would this mean i do need a coolant flush? Or is this something with my Head gasket as mentioned?..er should i just add water? Help is needed ASAP!

and yea last nite...my reservoir was empty again!
                Last edited by Djmoua; 12-20-2007, 03:07 PM.

*Needs*
                -New shocks
                -Struts
                -Drop
                -Cleaning
                -New Tires/Wheels
                -New Window Tint
                -Alot more lovin'

Comment

all coolant...no water.
                  coolant has stuff to help the internals from rust etc. also som eother stuff i cant think off....but water is what dissipates the heats and transfers it, thats why you want a near 50 50 mix. no water no where for heat to transfer, get a 50/50 mix....

if you think u got a leak rent a pressure kit and pressure test your cooling system to find the leak....

a new radiator cap will help raise the boiling point as well.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

**update**

Well as of today...my car's temp gauge was CLOSE to the top the meter. there was like a centimeter of space before it could reach the red of H in my temp gauge..So...would this mean i do need a coolant flush? Or is this something with my Head gasket as mentioned?..er should i just add water? Help is needed ASAP!

and yea last nite...my reservoir was empty again!
                    You have too many excuses. I gave you the basics on what you need to do, you haven't returned any useful information indicating you actually care to find your problem. It will not fix itself, you actually have to do something.

Good luck, I'm done helping you. I don't tolerate laziness.
                    Last edited by HondaFan81; 12-22-2007, 01:44 AM.

Comment

You have too many excuses. I gave you the basics on what you need to do, you haven't returned any useful information indicating you actually care to find your problem. I will not fix itself, you actually have to do something.

Good luck, I'm done helping you. I don't tolerate laziness.

Well said! Im with you 100% especially with me being a tech i hate laziness when it comes to people doing diagnosis when they cant give you any good viable information!

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                      member ride thread
                      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

idk what u guys are talkin about...i gave out all that i did already....i just cannot open up the valve thing though...not the right tools at ole gramps place....plus all the symptoms i gave out...is all it's doin so far...nothin more...it sounds as if you are expecting more info....well as i mentioned..no leaks, no smell in or out. If that most likely means it's internal...then i'll have a bud help me out...i just needed suggestions and advice that's all. not any smartass remarks. Thanks for trying ..
                        But thanks for the advice accordztech...will take advice fo sho.

*Needs*
                        -New shocks
                        -Struts
                        -Drop
                        -Cleaning
                        -New Tires/Wheels
                        -New Window Tint
                        -Alot more lovin'

Comment

A pressure test takes 5-10 minutes and will literally spell out your problem. when the cooling system is compromised and its time to pinpoint leaks/problems it goes something like this. Pressure tester > you. Basically.

Comment

yeah man its an easy fix... the laziest person can do it. just pull over every time you over heat.... Hey man whats the worst that could happen spend some dough on a different ride ?

Comment

koo..simple..thanks!

*Needs*
                              -New shocks
                              -Struts
                              -Drop
                              -Cleaning
                              -New Tires/Wheels
                              -New Window Tint
                              -Alot more lovin'

Comment

FYI fellow cb7tuners...

The weird idle was due to one of my sparkplugs unplugged VERY slightly.
                                Plugged it back in but comes right back out and it didn't want to stay in...
                                Took plug off, and noticed the metal piece from the sparkplug wires is stuck on the end of the sparkplug.
                                Used pliers to yank it off and yeah it was broken off of the Sparkplug Wires.
                                Got new ones sparkplug wires and idle thingy is fine.
                                As for the Radiator mystery, I simply needed a 50/50 mix in which yeah, i instead put in the whole of anitfreeze into radiator rather than 50/50...though currently coolant is still low. I'm gonna say its because the whole antifreeze is too hot and evaporates or something, idk..but added water and works fine with coolant mix still visible to the eye after removing my radiator cap. Thanks for tha help gangsterrz.

Now for another thread for another issue...DAMMIT!!!!1!!

*Needs*
                                -New shocks
                                -Struts
                                -Drop
                                -Cleaning
                                -New Tires/Wheels
                                -New Window Tint
                                -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Working...
                                X