No OD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No OD?

Before I start, I want to say that I understand my AT doesn't have OD. It does, however, have a torque converter that is *supposed* to kick in at high speeds, effectively reducing 4th gear RPM usage approximately ~300 RPM. I use OD as a familiar term instead of saying torque converter.

You probably noticed that I said *supposed* when referring to my OD gear. I went on a car trip recently and once on the highway I noticed that at 70 m.p.h. I was doing ~3300 RPM. I found this odd, since I usually observe 3000 RPM exactly at 70 mph. After a while, I felt OD clunk into place and the rest of the ride was gravy. On the way back, it was perfect for the first 300 miles or so, then VERY intermittently OD would work. I spent more time out of OD then in. I checked the fluid in the AT and that's fine. Last fluid replacement was about 10,000 miles ago. Just an empty and fill with Honda ATF. At the same time I would love to do a self-diagnostic check with the jumper, but my D4 light is out. No seriously, it just went out about a week before I took the trip. I hadn't observed these problems in that time between the trip and when the light went out. Any ideas on things I could maybe check? Is my tranny heading south?

One more thing. I hear this sound from under my car when accelerating from a stop, all the way up to 3rd gear. It the same sound if you try to put a MT car in gear while the clutch is just barely not pressed in enough. This sound started after I replaced the driver side CV axle. At the same time I did the CV axle replace, I also replaced the oil pan seal. Any thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time.
    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

Trans fluid levels? I think there is a solenoid that locks the converter. Any random lights?

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I would check to make sure the axle is all the way in also sounds like your converter is going bad the converter has a lock up thats what you feel after you go into 4th gear the drop in rpm is the converter.
      I need a 14b or 16g turbo!

Comment

Before you check any of that expensive crap, check your Kickdown cable is adjusted. It is that cable that goes from the throttle rotor to the transmission. If it is out of adjustment, you'll either never have it lock up, rarely have it lock up, or lock it up all the time, which was my case. Torque converter lockup in 2nd gear = bad sounds.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Working...
        X