alt/battery problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alt/battery problem

my battery died last night, its getting cold in NC. Here's the deal I got a used battery that works fine, I installed it and it starts the car fine but when I turn on the a/c the battery light comes on. Does this mean my alternator is bad. or what, the belt has a little slack in it, could this be the culprit, any help is appreciated. Oh one more thing, I did the home alt. test start the car and take out the battery, it runs stronger without the battery. the windows roll down faster and everything. Im baffled...
    Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Take the car to Auto Zone, have them test the battery and alternator.
    1993 Prelude S
    F22A1
    custom'ish turbo setup
    180 whp/217 ft-lbs super hot, super humid, super rich, boost falling off at 8psi
    18psi boost spike = BOOM!!!!!
    currently being rebuilt

Comment

nahhh.. i wouldn't suggest autozone...
      but if you were to decide for that..take the actual part out (Alternator or Battery or Both)...dont let them test it while the parts are under the hood..
      I had them test back and forth and they're shit is intermitten (as in GOOD...but the next day they say it's BAD...then the next...u get the idea).
      But good luck taking it to Autozone if you want to.

BTW yeah...this is most likely because your belt is slacking...its' a simple tightening adjustment bolt..i'd throw the link from NAILs DIY but i gtg home from work right now. Sollie
      Last edited by Djmoua; 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM.

*Needs*
      -New shocks
      -Struts
      -Drop
      -Cleaning
      -New Tires/Wheels
      -New Window Tint
      -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

ok this is weird

aight peep this I get the alternator checked, they say its good, my battery was bad. I got a brand new battery and the car still idles at 1500 then goes down to 1000 when Im sitting still. And still when I turn my a/c on the battery light still pops on. One of my friends said its either a fuse or a bad wire between the alternator and battery or the battery to the fuse box. Any help is appreciated.
        Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Check the line wire going to the battery. Make sure its not corroded.

Comment

Ill try that..

the wire is corroded and greenish Ill cut it and put a new post on it.
            Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

it wasnt that

car finally died last night, Im going to put an alternator on it today, if that fixes it, then its back to Auto Zone with that $70 battery. Im also going to look for the External Voltage Regulator. thanx for all the help, you guys and gurls are the best.
              Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Originally posted by 1991acclude
                aight peep this I get the alternator checked, they say its good, my battery was bad. I got a brand new battery and the car still idles at 1500 then goes down to 1000 when Im sitting still. And still when I turn my a/c on the battery light still pops on. One of my friends said its either a fuse or a bad wire between the alternator and battery or the battery to the fuse box. Any help is appreciated.
                this is why i wouldn't take it to autozone to test your parts while the parts are still in your ride....their machine is meant to foke u over, not just into buying more stuff from them but confuse you too!...KILL EM! KILL AUTOZONE!! BURN EM TA HELLLL!L!!!!!!!!...well at least your experince didn't seem as bad as mine did

...and the culprit here MUST be your alternator then!...btw i mean...
                but like i mentioned...you should've taken the actual part off and have them test it out individually. It would make your problems stand out more and...you're off from there.
                Last edited by Djmoua; 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM.

*Needs*
                -New shocks
                -Struts
                -Drop
                -Cleaning
                -New Tires/Wheels
                -New Window Tint
                -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Heeeeeeeeeeelllllllppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok here I am once again, just put a alternator on car runs fines, then I check to see if battery light comes on when I turn on the a/c it doesnt but the tach drops, now mind you its dark so my park lights are on. I turn on my headlights and the voltage drops to like 10V then 8 then while driving with the lights on on the way home the car starts to die out, i have to turn off the lights for it to come back, after I pop the clutch to get it running. It sounds like a wire short or something. The lights dim when the headlights come one and when the brake pedal is applied. Any help, Im $150 broker and car is still not fixed.
                  Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

has anyone had this happen

please can anyone help me, I dont know what to try next........
                    Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Whats your charging system reading? Should be 12-14 volts. If its unsteady, too high or too low then the alt is weak, there is a short somewhere or a draw. Load test the system and the battery also. Check the belt tension. Check your alternator and battery wiring/cabes thoroughly. Take that green alt. connector and make sure its not burned and thats its tight. Check the grounds for continuity.

Comment

alright Im on to something

I just came from my car, I pull the hood up I put a meter on the battery, its at 10V-11V and began pulling fuses, the back fuse 7.5A and the L passive motor fuse 30A both make the voltage drop. when I leave these fuses out the voltage slowly rises to 12V what gives. any help?
                        Last edited by 1991acclude; 11-18-2007, 10:33 AM.
                        Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

I just came from my car, I pull the hood up I put a meter on the battery, its at 11V and began pulling fuses, the back fuse 7.5A and the Right passive motor fuse 30A both make the voltage drop what gives. any help?
                          something with your ignitor or sparks? when was the last time for maintenance?

*Needs*
                          -New shocks
                          -Struts
                          -Drop
                          -Cleaning
                          -New Tires/Wheels
                          -New Window Tint
                          -Alot more lovin'

Comment

I changed my plugs about a month ago

car runs strong, fresh NGK's in the head, it had 4-point bosch platinums, ran like Eskimo (sh@!) Ill do search on L passive motor. I have another distributor also do I need to change it out.
                            Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

car runs strong, fresh NGK's in the head, it had 4-point bosch platinums, ran like Eskimo (sh@!) Ill do search on L passive motor. I have another distributor also do I need to change it out.
                              well then haha sorry to say..but idk...i personally hate electrical problems. Experienced that myself. But if anything..maybe it mite be something as simple as a clogged vacuum? or leak? IDK though....so dont listen to me hahaaha im just throwin out ideas that MIGHT be the problem.

*Needs*
                              -New shocks
                              -Struts
                              -Drop
                              -Cleaning
                              -New Tires/Wheels
                              -New Window Tint
                              -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Working...
                              X