Hose Clamp on CV Boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hose Clamp on CV Boot?

OK, I my CV Shaft is making noise again. I did some investigating and the clamp in the CV Boot was not tight enough on the shaft that is installed on the car. Now there is grease all over the inner part of my wheel. So, this lack of grease would explain the major noise coming from the joint. Anyway, is it too late to squeeze more grease into the boot, or is the joint already ruined? Also, can I use a larger stainless hose clamp on the boot? You know, the ones with the screw that you turn as it tightens the clamp? I dont know if anyone has ever used one of these becuase I dont know about clearance issues with the screw on the clamp itself.

Thanks all!

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Originally posted by thewoahna
    OK, I my CV Shaft is making noise again. I did some investigating and the clamp in the CV Boot was not tight enough on the shaft that is installed on the car. Now there is grease all over the inner part of my wheel. So, this lack of grease would explain the major noise coming from the joint. Anyway, is it too late to squeeze more grease into the boot, or is the joint already ruined? Also, can I use a larger stainless hose clamp on the boot? You know, the ones with the screw that you turn as it tightens the clamp? I dont know if anyone has ever used one of these becuase I dont know about clearance issues with the screw on the clamp itself.

Thanks all!
    if you have noise its to late

Comment

Do you think that a hose clamp would have worked? Just for I know for the future....

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

Doubt it. Theres really no way of checking, unless you try i guess, depending on how low your car sits, and how shitty your roads are, your joints may move a lot, then clearance also becomes an issue.

JDMRIDES.ca

Comment

We zip tied my friends. It worked for like a month before it came back.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Mevotech supplies replacement rings, they only cost like 3 bucks. Tube of grease should only cost about 10 max... if its between that and a new CV axle, try the 13 bucks as opposed to 80.. .if it doesnt work, then get a new axle.
            90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
            2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

The only way I know how to close a cv boot is to use a crimp tie, nothing's better than that for the job.

Comment

the proper clamp would be best but yea a hose clamp would also have worked

Comment

i hose clamped one before. just added some silicon to the end of the boot so it would seal a bit

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                  11.68 @ 127mph
                  417whp/375wtq
                  Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Working...
                  X