Air Conditioning problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioning problem

Ok, so as far as working and blowing cold and whatnot my air works great. Still has R-12 in it.
    But:
    This past summer I have had this issue: When I turn the air conditioning on and the car goes back to idle it will sometimes cause the engine to stumble a bit and the revs will go down. Like idle is at 700 rpms and it goes down to like 400 and comes back up. Sometimes it will do it once, and sometimes it will go up and down and up and down.

My theory is that a bearing or something is shot in the compressor and since the engine is at idle the compressor is taking more energy from the motor to spin.

Then my other thought was that maybe the system is low on freon or something. I did not really want to chance taking the A/C out this summer and not have any A/C so now it is getting cooler and riding with the windows down all the time is easier.

I know somebody who knows a lot about refrigeration and has testing manifolds and a big bottle of R-12 along with a vacuum pump. I will talk to him and have him look at it too.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

i think it has something to do with the compressor. check the a/c system for leaks. something is up, cus your motor is killing itself by spinning the a/c
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Found this link:
      http://www.wheels.ca/article/19816

May shed some light on the subject, or may not.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

yeah, talk to your budy with gauges/R-12. You can at least tell if there's enough freon in the system....but just so you know, low freon or no freon should not cause the issue you're describing. Since the compressor cuts on, the pressure switch is seeing enough pressure in the system. But you can get your budy with the gauges to shoot some oil in the system. The comp needs to be properly lubricated or could start showing resistance like what you're describing.

It could be internal or the bearing in the comp may also be going out. You can rebuild it, but you can also get a direct drop-in reman unit for fairly cheap. It you do this, it may be time to switch over to R-134a.

Also, make sure the A/C signal wire at the ECU is properly connected and getting signal with the compressor engage. If the ECU does not see signal on this wire, it doesn't know why the RPM's are dropping and can struggle to return to normal idle.

My Accord History:
        91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Thanks a lot Pat I will take this into mind when I try and mess with it this weekend.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Working...
          X