i may be in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i may be in trouble

So i didnt drive my cb for 2 days, then when i got in it today, it started making a not so good sound. Im praying its not the dreaded rod knock. Its never done it befor. I started it, let it idle for a minuit or 2, then i started to drive slowly. It was a faint knockin from about 1500-3000 rpm, then it stoped, i put it in 2nd, and the same sound from 1500-3000. My valves are in need of adjustment, but it was more than a valve tap. It really did sound like steel knocking on aluminum.
    Once the car got to operating temp. it stopped doing it. i got to work today, parked it and just hoped for the best. When i started it tonight, there was no knocking that i could hear. I dont understand what else it could be? I know what a knock sounds like, and thats what i think.
    Well what i want to know is, if it is a knock, how long till it to late and i cant rebuild it? Should i just tear it apart now befor catastrophic failure? And how much do you think it would be for rod bearings? i can do all the work myself. Thanks guys

Mines been knocking for over a year, and I redline it all the time...I wouldn't be TOO worried. Mine also only does it from about 1700-2500 rpm.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

get that valve adjustment asap
      Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
      -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

check your oil? you could be low...

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

yeah, i think ill do the valse next monday. I got 3 days where i dont HAVE to drive my car, so i think im gonna do it. I think valves are .10 exhaust and .12 intake? Something like that.

I do go through a lot of oil, about a quart in 2 weeks. But i stay on top of it.

Im worried couse i spent the last 2 yrs. making the body rust free and straght, and make i look nice, now its the motor. I just dont want to drop a rod, and lose the block. Anyone know a good place to get rob bearings?

Comment

10 on the intake and 12 on the exhaust...exhaust are always larger unless it is a hydraulic cam on a small block chevy where it takes zero lash :o

ACL rod bearings are really cheap...but i would assume you need a different size to slightly compensate for the knock if, infact, is a rod knock.

in that case a pair of oem's should do the trick. just need someone to mic the crank and the rod housing of the one making the knock to confirm the bearing clearance.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Since it sat for two days I am assuming all the oil drained into the oil pan so when you started it up it was lacking lubrication to the top of the motor. I f I let mine sit for more than two days it does the same thing makes noise till it warms up then It goes away.
              I need a 14b or 16g turbo!

Comment

1000-2000rpm mine make a loud ticking noise, the valves need an adjustment have to get around to that soon
                wat?

Comment

Same problem I think

Mine makes a "ticking sound" at low rpm's, it's the most noticable at 1500-3000 rpm's and even a lil bit louder if I'm putting the engine under extra load(climbing a hill or accelerating more rapidly than usual). But if I let my car run for 10 minutes before getting in it and driving then I don't hear it, I only seem to hear it if I start driving after I first start it up and accelerate, I don't hear the tick when I'm sitting at idle either. Could this be a lubrication problem that could be fixed with a simple oil additive or will I need to save my pennies to get a valve adjustment or something? I'm kinda low on money so I hope it aint too serious.

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

Time for the valve adjustment.
                    1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
                    2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
                    3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
                    4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
                    5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                      Mines been knocking for over a year, and I redline it all the time...I wouldn't be TOO worried. Mine also only does it from about 1700-2500 rpm.
                      Same here, been like that for over 30,000 miles. Even after valve adjustment, though it was my first one so I could have easily gotten the lash wrong.
                      Even when I don't let it warm up, I don't have a problem.

Now if it just make a knocking noise for several seconds, I'd agree it was lack of oil/oil pressure. In that case, I'd switch to a different oil filter. I've never had oil pressure issues even after a few days of sitting. Light usually goes out before I release the key from the start position.
                      Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

That makes me feel a little better. Im pretty sure its from oil draining from the top end after sitting for a couple days. If its a rod knock, itll get worse in 8 months, or a year or something. I just wanna rebuild it befor i fuck up everything, you know? Thanks for the input

Comment

hey yall, i did the valve lash About 15 min, ago. I also advanced the timing about 10-12*. cant wait to drive it. It already runs uieter and it is reving alot faster. Ill get back in about 3 hours.

Comment

Glad to hear that
                            Project EP hatch on the way

Comment

I dont know. i got to drive it. The valve train is really quiet, but damn, something is still knocking. I like the timing, but now i hear the kock till 4000 instead of 3000, and it didnt go away. i got 93 pump gas just becouse of the change. And why does it seem like i got more low end instead of more top end? I read that counter clockwise was the way to go. Maby im wrong. If it keep this noise up, im gonna put it back to stock and call it good!

Comment

Working...
                              X