no thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no thermostat?

this is my first obd-1 car im modding. im use too obd-0. will removing the thermostat cause any probs? i never ran on on my d series or my b series and the temp gauge never moved. my car stayed cold. i know i wont have heat, but its hot as hell in fl. i know there is a water temp sensor and im wondering if it throws codes when it gets too hot instead of cold. makes sense.

opinions plz.

engine runs richer when it is cold.

Originally posted by kc8enb07
    does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

I wouldn't do it. I took the thermostat out of my old cb7 and it would take forever to heat up. It always felt like it was bogging out, and I could never figure it out, but I put a new thermo in right before I sold it and it was fine.

On another note, I would be driving last winter and if I sustained speed the temp gauge would actually stay ALL the way down, until I hit a light, where it would barely move, so it ran rich all the time I can assume.

AND I LIVE IN TUCSON, ITS HOTTER HERE THEN FLORIDA.

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
        I wouldn't do it. I took the thermostat out of my old cb7 and it would take forever to heat up. It always felt like it was bogging out, and I could never figure it out, but I put a new thermo in right before I sold it and it was fine.

On another note, I would be driving last winter and if I sustained speed the temp gauge would actually stay ALL the way down, until I hit a light, where it would barely move, so it ran rich all the time I can assume.

AND I LIVE IN TUCSON, ITS HOTTER HERE THEN FLORIDA.
        dude you seriously need to resize your sig.

anyhow, it wont throw any codes and it is just stupid to run no thermo. the engine runs from 180-200 degrees. a 160 degree thermostat should be fine as long as your fans work and your car aint running lean.

you can also run some redline water wetter if it makes you feel better.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k

anyhow, it wont throw any codes and it is just stupid to run no thermo. the engine runs from 180-200 degrees. a 160 degree thermostat should be fine as long as your fans work and your car aint running lean.

im currently doing a science experiment woo reduce under hood heat. ill have it posted when im finished.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k

Why is it stupid to run no thermo? You didn't explain...

The best explanation I've heard is that it makes the car run in open loop mode. That makes the engine run rich. It makes your car idle funny, too.

Comment

ITs pointless. Its to bring the motor up to operating temp...Sucks in winter time if you have a heater. Anyway you want the engine running around 180-210 thats the optimum range where the engine is running efficiently. Oil doesnt perform to its full potential when cold. Leave the thermostat in you want cooler underhood temps there are a lot of other ways.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

engine coatings will help reduce hood temps as well.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                X