Tranny fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny fluid?

About a month and half ago i put motor oil in my tranny (10W 30) castrol gtx. A friend of mine told me that using this is fine he's a mechanic that works on mostly hondas and knows them front to back. Today my uncle said that these trannies require that u only use the tranny fluid from the factory any thing else would mess it up he know alot about cars also but not as much as the other guy who makes a living just working on cars. Now who is correct my uncle or my mechanic?

honda mtf would be better

Comment

the mechanic is correct. i'm using 10w-40 in my tranny. manual honda transmissions use regular motor oil

Comment

To tell you the truth they both are.... I think if you look in the book it will just say put in 10 30... Now keep in mind i'm talking about a man not auto tranny... For those that us the Honda Tranny fluid.... I think it was for cars that were made after the year 96 or 97.... But the honda fluid can still be used in older rides... The book just will not say it... Like my 91 tranny... It says to us 10 30... This is fine... But If I wanted to use the honda stuff I could..... So its up to you man... I just depends on what year and what tranny... I'm sure u will get a lot of feedback on this... Diff people say diff things... So keep looking till u hear and see what u want to do.... Thats what I did today....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

If it's a manual trans, motor oil is fine (I run Royal Purple 10W/30). If it's an auto trans, then it requires automatic transmission fluid...
          Originally posted by Junior Smurff
          Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

u can use motor oil but i prefer that new honda mtf...it helped with my second gear grind
            My Members Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Doitagain
              To tell you the truth they both are.... I think if you look in the book it will just say put in 10 30... Now keep in mind i'm talking about a man not auto tranny... For those that us the Honda Tranny fluid.... I think it was for cars that were made after the year 96 or 97.... But the honda fluid can still be used in older rides... The book just will not say it... Like my 91 tranny... It says to us 10 30... This is fine... But If I wanted to use the honda stuff I could..... So its up to you man... I just depends on what year and what tranny... I'm sure u will get a lot of feedback on this... Diff people say diff things... So keep looking till u hear and see what u want to do.... Thats what I did today....

Yeah it's a manual tranny. Thanks guys i guess i don't have to change my fluid after all.

Comment

Originally posted by DTaccords85
                Yeah it's a manual tranny. Thanks guys i guess i don't have to change my fluid after all.
                No need to thank us... Thats why we are all on here....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

when i put regular motor oil in, i started to grind all over the place.

honda mtf/Pennzoil Synchromesh worked much better.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                    when i put regular motor oil in, i started to grind all over the place.

honda mtf/Pennzoil Synchromesh worked much better.
                    Yep the reason most people use Honda is because it has detergents and crap in there. I would use that instead of just using regular motor oil but people still do it.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

anyone heard of B&M trick shift tranny fluid? i've got an auto and used 2 quarts of that along with a tranny reconditioner and its working. Its not bad if i put that stuff in right? The tranny was rebuilt at 140K and i've got 165K right now, so this was my first drain and fill since rebuild.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                      X